Attendance Disney up--Universal down

brisem

Original Poster
According to Mouseplanet:

Attendance fell 11 percent at the two Universal theme parks for the first three months of 2006 as compared to the same months last year. For the same January – March period, Disney theme parks saw attendance rise 3 percent. The first three months included the Easter holiday last year, while the holiday fell in April this year.

Richie248

Doesn't surprise me...has Universal introduced any new rides lately??? I also find their ad campaigns to be dull and uncreative!

Boray

Not only are their ads dull and uncreative, but they are negative. They should explore the positive aspects of their parks, rather than the negative of their competition.

I still choose Disney any day over Universal!!!

PrinceAndysMom

They need to make their ticket prices more attractive if they want to be competitive. The only nice thing about their annual pass purchase is that you can pay per month for them instead of paying out a huge lump sum at once. Wish Disney did this.

hokielutz

PrinceAndysMom said:
They need to make their ticket prices more attractive if they want to be competitive. The only nice thing about their annual pass purchase is that you can pay per month for them instead of paying out a huge lump sum at once. Wish Disney did this.

But if Disney did this, they may charge a higher fee overall for the AP to cover lost interest revenue. But they could also offer two options of payment for the AP:
1.) Fully pay for the pass upfront. No monthly charges, and no additional fees.
2.) Pay for the pass in a monthly installment, but you will pay a fee that is added to the pass to cover the interest revenue and the logistics of installment payments.

I could see how the installment plan is a better buy for most guests, but I also see it as a burden for Disney to devote a new department to handle and track the installment accounts.

Anyway, thats just my 2 cents.

MissM

I think Universal's poor hours contribute to the problem. This Saturday, MK is open until 11pm, MGM until 10pm and Universal is only open until 7pm. SEVEN?? Jeez. That's a full hour and a half before it even gets dark.

I don't like their negative ads - by all means, little bratty kid, don't come to Disney! - but I have to think their terrible hours are a real shot in the foot too.
-m

kennygman77

Those focus very heavily on the teen market. My kids 2,7,9 don't find much to do there as most of the rides are scary and intense. More family rides would bring in children.

autigger

The first three months included the Easter holiday last year, while the holiday fell in April this year.
The Six Flags family of theme parks also had a decline in numbers for this very reason.

Those focus very heavily on the teen market. My kids 2,7,9 don't find much to do there as most of the rides are scary and intense. More family rides would bring in children.
I agree. Teen business is great, but getting families to come to a park is key.

The new leadership at Six Flags is trying very hard to be more of a family park. Although their thrill rides are great, they are not driving families to the parks.

I agree that Universal needs more than just the Suess land (IOA) and the Woody Woodpecker land (USO) to bring in the families.

fers31

wild01ride said:
There are positive aspects?

:lol:

Yeah...for exciting rides...it blows Disney away. I love Disney but Universal DOES have some awesome stuff. I'm surprised they're down so much. Disney is still my favorite...but I won't take a trip down there without spending 1 day in Universal/IOA. I find you can do most of the exciting stuff in 1 day.

TTFN-Tiggger

Way to go Disney!! Universal is not the sames - they need some new rides to draw people in. I went this Uni this last March for a day. We got through the park in about 6 hours, went out to city walk and back in for a Mardi Gras parade. No magic there.

Buried20KLeague

I think it's less about the selection of attractions as it is other factors. Think about it... They've tracked closer than this for the past 5 years probably. Something has obviously changed recently. It's simple in my mind... I think it's because of:

1. Disney's Magical Express. It takes your bags from the airport right to your room, and gets to you the World for free... Where you can use their free transportation to get around. Basically, it's like horse blinders. You go where you're led, and don't get to look around.
2. The new ticket pricing plan. The more days you go, the less it costs you. So now, if you want to go to Universal, you've gotta pay a lot more than if you just stay in Disney parks that 6 and 7th day.
2. The meal plan. Big time. People buy the plan to get their food cheaper,a nd to lock in their out of pocket costs before their trip. So now, not only does it cost more to go to Universal than a 6th or 7th day at Disney, but you also would have to buy food there, which is included if you just stay at the Disney parks.

I think it's a lot more about economics and marketing than it is about anything else. Disney really laced the gloves up and started beating the tar out of the competition when they came up with these things. It was EXTREMELY smart.

kennygman77

autigger said:
I agree. Teen business is great, but getting families to come to a park is key.

The new leadership at Six Flags is trying very hard to be more of a family park. Although their thrill rides are great, they are not driving families to the parks.quote]

I was a youth pastor for a number of years and I got 6 mailings a year from Six Flags and Universal offering special teen concerts and discounted one and two day tickets and got one or two from Disney with a little discount on the extended stay Park Hopper (3 days or more). Most of the teens on our outings would bring 20 bucks for the day. If they had Mom and Dad as chaperone, unlimited resources! Parents spend money. Universal just needs to recognize this. I also agree that they haven't done anything new for a couple years. BTW Shrek was AWESOME. My kids loved that, but nothing else stood out to them. We wont go back as a family until my kids reach their teen years and can ride all the rides.

kennygman77

Buried20KLeague said:
I think it's a lot more about economics and marketing than it is about anything else. Disney really laced the gloves up and started beating the tar out of the competition when they came up with these things. It was EXTREMELY smart.

Good points about all the convenience and I also LOVE that I NEVER have to carry any cash with me at Disney. Even the carts take the Key to the World or Credit. Most other parks are still in the chisel and granite stages when it comes to an E-world. I'm not a cash person and get disney rewards Visa credit for all my purchases. Hey, you can buy a burger with credit, but most other amusement parks haven't figured this out. yet.

MissM

TAC said:
And no bratty kids come to Disney ?
Of course there are bratty kids in Disney. There are bratty kids everywhere. Point is that Disney doesn't make commercials glorifying bratty behavoir in kids. The universal commercials feature kids that need a serious attitude adjustment and some parental teaching like manners. If Universal really thinks that is their audidence, by all means, take 'em!
-m

MissM

You're the one obsessed with the commericals. I merely answered a question and gave my opinion. Clearly you are the one allowing the commericals to influence your life.
-m

browniebee

I think the Universal commercials are not only negative, but they are insulting. I don't like them because yes, I do want to see Disney princesses, and I like the magic of Walt Disney World. Personally, I won't go to Universal partly because of these commercials. I think the audience Universal is trying to attract (pre-teens, teens, and young adults) just isn't as big as the target audience of Disney (everyone). Most of my friends love the magic of Disney even though we're 18. If Universal wants higher attendance, they should target a larger audience by making it more family friendly and take off the commercials, which may not totally turn people off, but I know a lot who are insulted by them.

freediverdude

Another reason their attendance may be down from the previous year is that those months last year were before the HCOE. Disney has really taken advantage of HCOE, and "attacked" from all angles- new ticket pricing, DME, vacation packages with the free dining, making all the carts accept room keys and credit cards, adding new or cloned attractions..... I guess you can't blame them, hehe, a 50th anniversary of Disneyland only comes around once, and they knew it would be a big draw, so they're milking it for all it's worth, hehe. I bet they are hoping, though, that some of these changes will change the balance of theme park attendance more permanently- that remains to be seen.....

speck76

fers31 said:
Yeah...for exciting rides...it blows Disney away. I love Disney but Universal DOES have some awesome stuff. I'm surprised they're down so much. Disney is still my favorite...but I won't take a trip down there without spending 1 day in Universal/IOA. I find you can do most of the exciting stuff in 1 day.

high-thrill attractions do not bring in the crowds.....if they did, parks like Knott's Berry Farm and Magic Mountain should have attendance close to that of Disneyland....but they are not even close....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom