Attack of the Mosquittos!

ninjaprincesst

Have you tried Avon Skin So Soft bug spray, I also am allergic o most bug repellents and it works for me without making me break out or my throat swell shut.?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I hate to
Consumer Reports tested mosquito sprays and found only three ingredients that worked:

Deet
Many people assume that the more deet (N,N-diethyl-meta-toluamide) a product contains, the better. But our tests found that products with 15 to 30 percent deet can provide long-lasting protection against mosquitoes and ticks; there’s no need to use higher concentrations to stay protected. And some research suggests that higher concentrations and excessive doses can pose risks, including rashes and possibly even disorientation and seizures. That’s why we say you should avoid repellents with more than 30 percent deet and not use these products at all on babies younger than 2 months. (See below for how to safely apply all repellents.) But make sure you don’t go too low: Not every product with 15 percent deet in our insect repellent ratings earned a recommendation, and those with just 10 or 7 percent deet didn’t work well.​

Picaridin
This is a synthetic repellent modeled after a compound that occurs naturally in the black pepper plant. We recommend two 20 percent picaridin products, both sprays. But concentration matters: Another product, with just 5 percent picaridin, was one of our lowest-scoring insect repellents. And, at least when it comes to picaridin, form seems to matter. Of two other picaridin products we tested, we found that neither a 20 percent lotion nor a 20 percent wipe worked as well as the 20 percent picaridin sprays. Finally, while picaridin is deemed safe, even for use on infants, it can irritate your skin and eyes, so you should use it carefully​

Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus
This is a naturally occurring compound, extracted from the gum eucalyptus tree. A product in our insect repellent ratings that contained 30 percent oil of lemon eucalyptus (OLE) did well in our tests, warding off mosquitoes and ticks for at least 7 hours. All the other products with plant oils—including cedar, cinnamon, citronella, clove, geranium, lemongrass, rosemary, and peppermint—provided little protection, often failing in our tests within a half-hour. OLE also appears to be relatively safe when used properly, though it can cause temporary eye injury, and the Food and Drug Administration recommends against using it on children younger than 3.​

I hate to disagree with consumer reports, but holistically most people are concerned with all biting insects not just mosquitos. 30 percent might be fine for mosquitos, but not for sweat bees or horseflies. Wdw does a great job controlling all of these. Personally when I'm out in the deep bush it's 98% Deet Ultrathon II only..its very harsh but works against everything for around 12 hours. Sandflies, Horseflies, chiggers, all stay away. More than you'd ever need at www.

Tick Tock

I live in North Florida and mosquitoes are why we don't venture out for long in the evenings during warmer months. They've even gotten persistent during the day.
I've never had any issues while at Disney, but as for the rest of Florida, it's peculiar when and where they get real bad.

For instance, during a trip to the Everglades back in September of 2015, the first week of the month to be exact. They were terrible! We covered ourselves in spray, even needed mosquito jackets in a few areas of the national park, and anywhere there was shade, BOOM! There they were just waiting to bombard.

Fast forward to last June. I went back down in the early part of the month. It felt just as hot as it did during the Sep '15 trip. I came prepared with enough repellent to cover a full-grown elephant, and a mosquito jacket ready to use. Did not need any of it.
I kid you not, the spray sat in my rental car the entire trip, never once being touched. Even when hiking or kayaking through areas of heavy shade, mangrove tunnels, etc, where you'd expect them. Nothing.

Going back in early May this year. Time will tell what the verdict is then...

John park hopper

My sons live in Gulf Breeze Florida and very few mosquitoes. Lived in S Florida (Lake Worth) for years mosquitoes never a problem. Florida Keys in June unbearable. WDW stayed first week in May just a few nothing really to bother you

Tick Tock

Florida Keys in June unbearable.
That is so odd. I spent a day down in the keys last June during that trip when they were no problem in the Everglades, and didn't have any attacks there either. Yet they were pretty bad when visiting during Sep '15. Not so much in Key West that I recall, but they swarmed us a few times while stopping at a few state parks while en route.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I've never had any issues while at Disney, but as for the rest of Florida, it's peculiar when and where they get real bad.

For instance, during a trip to the Everglades back in September of 2015, the first week of the month to be exact. They were terrible! We covered ourselves in spray, even needed mosquito jackets in a few areas of the national park, and anywhere there was shade, BOOM! There they were just waiting to bombard.

Fast forward to last June. I went back down in the early part of the month. It felt just as hot as it did during the Sep '15 trip. I came prepared with enough repellent to cover a full-grown elephant, and a mosquito jacket ready to use. Did not need any of it.
I kid you not, the spray sat in my rental car the entire trip, never once being touched. Even when hiking or kayaking through areas of heavy shade, mangrove tunnels, etc, where you'd expect them. Nothing.

Going back in early May this year. Time will tell what the verdict is then...

Hopefully, the cold weather killed enough larvae to keep the population down this year. Another difference is aggressive eradication efforts by the state and counties to reduce the danger of Zika - many counties had dialed back spraying programs due to environmental impacts on other species.

Disney does a good job of keeping mosquitoes at bay, both with natural predators - notice all those Purple Martin houses around the property - and spraying. I wouldn't be surprised if there were bat boxes up in a few trees also.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom