Attack of the Mosquittos!

CLEtoWDW

Original Poster
So last year we stayed at the Beach Club and my wife and I enjoyed sitting out on the balcony at night for some peace and quiet while the kids slept. The only issue were the mosquittos! Now I know the initial answer: repellent spray (such as OFF). However, I typically have a bad reaction when using mosquito repellent. So HELP! Anyone recommend anything outside of spays to keep mosquittos away?

John park hopper

As one who hunts in SC let me tell you mosquitoes can be so bad I have seen deer bury their heads in leaves to get away from them. If you are sitting outside (for me a deer stand) what we use is something called Thermacell. You can pick one up at Walmart for about 20- 30 bucks. If you are sitting on the balcony I can say for sure you will not be bothered by mosquitoes. Thermacell works, how it works I don't know but it does take about 5-10 minute to clear the area of the pests. It's about the size of larger cell phone

Last edited:

Kaye

I’m actually very allergic to mosquito bites, so during the summer I have to treat my clothes with permethrin spray. I find that between treating my clothing and using an insect repellant lotion (instead of a spray like OFF) the mosquitoes generally stay away.

If you want to go the permethrin spray route for treating your clothes, I strongly recommend doing it outdoors. It smells bad when you first apply it, but dries odorless. It also lasts through several wash cycles, which is nice.

LUVofDIS

I was skeptical about the Thermacell, my wife bought one a few years ago and I sort of made fun of her about wasting money on another gimmick. I was the fool on this one, we use it for camping. The one we use looks like a miniature lantern. We usually have two of these spread out between five or six of us and it just works. No sprays or lotions, just this little lantern looking thing with pads you change every so often.

John park hopper

It may depend on the time of the year. last visit staying at CBR at night there were a few (May) nothing like rural coastal SC guess I've become immune to them don't itch or swell

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I've never been bothered by mosquitoes in all my trips at various times of the year. Disney uses natural predators - all those Purple Martin boxes around the property and I bet they have bats, too - and probably discreetly sprays in the late evening as there are few flies also.

That Thermacell is worth checking out - I live in North Florida and mosquitoes are why we don't venture out for long in the evenings during warmer months. They've even gotten persistent during the day. That and I need to install a bat box high in one of the trees.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I've never been bothered by mosquitoes in all my trips at various times of the year. Disney uses natural predators - all those Purple Martin boxes around the property and I bet they have bats, too - and probably discreetly sprays in the late evening as there are few flies also.

That Thermacell is worth checking out - I live in North Florida and mosquitoes are why we don't venture out for long in the evenings during warmer months. They've even gotten persistent during the day. That and I need to install a bat box high in one of the trees.

Plant some geraniums - they are natural mosquito repellents.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Mosquitoes tend to love me and I've gotten a few bites at WDW but not many. A couple Junes ago I was watching the fireworks over by Gaston's and there wasn't anyone back there and it had rained recently and both my husband and I ended up with a few bites. Overall not a big problem with them at WDW but that thermacell thing people have mentioned might be a good way to keep them away if you are concerned. I remember when all the Zika stuff was at its highest hype WDW left spray in the hotel rooms and had pumps with repellent at the parks. I never felt the need to use those and don't remember getting bit when that was a concern.

BuckyMom

We got eaten alive last year in early June at Fantasia Gardens Mini Golf (plenty of standing water in that area). They had a can of the spray at check in, but silly me didn't want to use it. I regretted it by the 3rd hole...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Consumer Reports tested mosquito sprays and found only three ingredients that worked:

Deet
Many people assume that the more deet (N,N-diethyl-meta-toluamide) a product contains, the better. But our tests found that products with 15 to 30 percent deet can provide long-lasting protection against mosquitoes and ticks; there’s no need to use higher concentrations to stay protected. And some research suggests that higher concentrations and excessive doses can pose risks, including rashes and possibly even disorientation and seizures. That’s why we say you should avoid repellents with more than 30 percent deet and not use these products at all on babies younger than 2 months. (See below for how to safely apply all repellents.) But make sure you don’t go too low: Not every product with 15 percent deet in our insect repellent ratings earned a recommendation, and those with just 10 or 7 percent deet didn’t work well.​

Picaridin
This is a synthetic repellent modeled after a compound that occurs naturally in the black pepper plant. We recommend two 20 percent picaridin products, both sprays. But concentration matters: Another product, with just 5 percent picaridin, was one of our lowest-scoring insect repellents. And, at least when it comes to picaridin, form seems to matter. Of two other picaridin products we tested, we found that neither a 20 percent lotion nor a 20 percent wipe worked as well as the 20 percent picaridin sprays. Finally, while picaridin is deemed safe, even for use on infants, it can irritate your skin and eyes, so you should use it carefully​

Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus
This is a naturally occurring compound, extracted from the gum eucalyptus tree. A product in our insect repellent ratings that contained 30 percent oil of lemon eucalyptus (OLE) did well in our tests, warding off mosquitoes and ticks for at least 7 hours. All the other products with plant oils—including cedar, cinnamon, citronella, clove, geranium, lemongrass, rosemary, and peppermint—provided little protection, often failing in our tests within a half-hour. OLE also appears to be relatively safe when used properly, though it can cause temporary eye injury, and the Food and Drug Administration recommends against using it on children younger than 3.​

Tanna Eros

As one who hunts in SC let me tell you mosquitoes can be so bad I have seen deer bury their heads in leaves to get away from them. If you are sitting outside (for me a deer stand) what we use is something called Thermacell. You can pick one up at Walmart for about 20- 30 bucks. If you are sitting on the balcony I can say for sure you will not be bothered by mosquitoes. Thermacell works, how it works I don't know but it does take about 5-10 minute to clear the area of the pests. It's about the size of larger cell phone
I shall back you up on the Thermacell. I live by the river, and enjoy evenings with a drink in my pool, and that device is dandy. Non messy, easy to use.

CLEtoWDW

Original Poster
Florida as a whole is riddled with mosquitos. However, WDW has a large-scale pest management program and regularly sprays the property which is why you don't notice them often at Disney.
I’d say for the most part Disney does a wonderful job controlling general pests in a state that has quite the overall pest problem. The only time I had issues with mosquittos was on the balcony of my resort. Now I did have a “garden view” room at the BC that overlooked a wooded area so naturally there are going to be mosquittos regardless of what Disney does. I just wanted to find a way to still enjoy the balcony but not have to use sprays and the Thermacell option looks like a winner.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom