Atraction Closing Look At This!!!!

the ceo at wdw

Original Poster
Nope both of u are wrong a man was forced by the movement of the cart to hold on while being pulled up with the vehicle. The man held on 4 about a minute till he fell 40 ft to his death that is the real reason the sky ride was closed

sillyspook13

Although the man fell to his death, that is not the reason for Skyway being closed. Trust me, my brother worked there until the end.

How the man died: The man that died was the operator loading guests. A family entered their bucket, but the man couldn't get the door to lock or get out of the way in time. He ended up being carried away hanging for dear life from the bucket. As said by the ceo, he managed to keep his grip, but eventually fell approx. 40 feet to his death, at the highest point in the ride. The man could have easily avoided death, or even injury! He could have either: a) let go immediately after leaving the station, only falling about 20 feet into the bushes below. He would have survived with minor injuries. or b) told the family to watch out for the door while out of the path of danger.

The skyway was closed because it was difficult to maintain. For one thing, the ride was constantly closed due to the weather. Like other outdoor rides, skyway was closed when there was lightning in the area. Skyway would also close due to winds. (i will ask what speed) Wind would cause the buckets to rock, which would be too dangerous for passengers. (remember, the wind speed near the ground is much less than even 20 feet in the air.) Also, skyway was built to serve as a method of transportation. Most days, the waits would be more than a half hour, when a person could walk to the opposite station in 5-10 minutes. This defeated the purpose of using skyway to travel across the park. I'm sure there were many other problems that have occured too.

WOW! This is a VERY loooong post! I hope I did not bore people too much!;)

MrPromey

Originally posted by sillyspook13

WOW! This is a VERY loooong post! I hope I did not bore people too much!;)

The nerve of some people! Do they think we have time to read these long drawn out posts? ;)

Ryan

Originally posted by wdw24557
I hated the Timekeeper.

I second that motion!! What a waste of space. Now I know that Disney wanted to put in an Atlantis themed attraction. Could this be the place?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
After the way the movie bombed - and how the merchandise is being sold in the parks with a 50% discount, I think there is a ZERO chance now of any Atlantis themed attraction.

Ryan

Originally posted by wdw24557
I heard that the Carousel of Progress was going down, don't ask where i heard it from. Maybe I heard it in my sleep.

Nope...you heard right. They have been wanting to take this attraction down for quite sometime, but there are some die hard people who love it. If you have been in the MK anytime at night and tried to ride COP you probably have noticed it being closed. This is because they can save a lot of money by not staffing a ride that gets only 30 people an hour through it. I personnaly love that attraction. The music and that guy talking to you about that past. It's great! But it needs to go. It's just too dated. Not as bad as Great Moments w/ Mr. Lincoln (and yes I know the heritage that show has, it's the ONLY reason it's still in DL. Don't get me started on that show) but CoP should be replaced with something that will add to Tomorrowland rather than be an eyesore like it has become.

the ceo at wdw

Original Poster
Does anyone remember when Tomorrowland was alot smaller and didn't have that many rides? Then disney expanded and added new rides? I do, CoP just doesn't fit in Tomorrowland. Here Tomorrowland gets you into the "theme" you are in a diffrent world. But when you look over to see a orange colored wheel with little gauges on it ; it doesnt look realistic. Like Ryan said: ITS DATED" I agree

The Mom

Premium Member
ceo, I'm not sure I follow you re tomorrowland being smaller? I've been going for 20 yrs, and it seems the same size to me. Some rides have been replaced, but the new ones are basically in the same space. Which rides have been built from the ground up, rather than replacing older ones?

And I agree, the CoP is dated, but it has a certain nostalgic charm for some of us.

DisneyGal

I recently heard that they are replacing the Timekeeper attraction with a meet and greet the characters spot for Buzz Lightyear. Evidently it is supposed to be something like Ariel's Grotto. Not sure if this is accurate, but I heard it is in the works.

DisJosh

Why in the world would you want to get rid of carousel of progress?! It's one of the few classic atractions left. The message the ride has fits perfectly in Tommorow land. You wanna trash it just b/c u dont like the way it looks?!

goofy

If u r talkin about removin COP this is the start of a petition to keep it.

Its a classic and as it says is wat tommorrowland is all about. IT MUST STAY!!!!!!!!!!! That song is amazin

"its a great big beuatiful tommorrow shining at the end of every day. Man has a dream and thats the start he follows it through with all his heart. Oh its a great big beuatiful tommorrow just a dream away"

A classic and a ride that MUST stay

DisJosh

I'm glad someone agrees!

Heres the whole thing!:

Ohh theres a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of everyday
Oh theres a great big beatiful tomorrow and its just a dream away
Man has a dream and thats a start he follows his dream with mind and heart and when it becomes a reality its a dream come true for you and me!

Ohhhh........I think you get the drift:D

goofy

Oh yeh and i dont just want it for nastalgic reasons i am 17 and think the ride is one of the best in Disney and was Walt at its best keep as a tribute to him if nothing else

"its a great big beautiful.............................................."

There i go again round and round like the carousel

goofy

Next u will be wanting to remove the country bear jamboree

the castle

main street

the train

all the hotels

in fact if u folk have your way why dont we demolish disney and build a whole load of rollercoasters with no meanin at all in the cleared space!!!!!!!!!!!

Takin COP out is like removin the statue of walt and Mickeay and Changing the Name to Disney World instead of Walt Disney World

We can not let it happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DisJosh

Originally posted by goofy
Oh yeh and i dont just want it for nastalgic reasons i am 17 and think the ride is one of the best in Disney and was Walt at its best keep as a tribute to him if nothing else

"its a great big beautiful.............................................."

There i go again round and round like the carousel

Same here goofy I'm also 17 and love the ride.
heres a sound clip of the theme song just music no lyrics
I hope it works
http://disneysounds.virtualave.net/greatbig.mid

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom