At WDW Now : Random Park Observations (long)

Scar

Original Poster
Hello! Currently on an eight day WDW vacation with my daughter and thought some updates/comments might be interesting to some. We are here specifically for Last Tour to Endor on Saturday night.

Feel free to let me know if this is not in the appropriate board.

Saturday, 7 August
* New speed record (for us) from DME. 80 minutes from wheels down to resort room at BWV. Great service.
* Went to Epcot. Where are the crowds? Seemed fairly light for a Saturday night. However, no FPs available at 6 PM for most rides so maybe we missed them?
* Only rode one ride (Gran Fiesta) but looked good. Now that my daughter is 10, the shops at the countires hold lots of interest for her. :lol:
* You know it's heading towards fall when Germany has Spaten Oktoberfest!
* Illuminations was great, as usual. Watched from Germany. My daughter calls out the two "false" endings and we love counting the people who actually think it is over and pack up to leave.

Sunday, 8 August
* Went to Disney Hollywood studios in morning. Again, not too crowded. Wondering if people are waiting for free dining to start?
*First time seeing new Muppetvision. Fantastic! Well done and makes up, IMHO, for not updating the show. Noticed lots we hadn't seen before.
* Went to Epcot in afternoon. Still not too crowded. Shopped some more and did Spaceship Earth and Living Seas. Has almost the entire Nemo ride to ourselves.
* Again saw Illuminations and was thrilled.

Monday, 9 August
* Did DTD in morning. Saw a new plush at Once Upon a Toy that my daughter had to have : The Yeti's snow leopard from Expedition Everest. Not on the ride, but on some of their merchandise.
* Went to MK in afternoon. Oh. HERE are the crowds. OMFG. It was PACKED. SGE had a 40 minute wait. HM was at 50 minutes. Lines out the door for Mickie and Minnie's house. Holy criminey, Batman!
* Luckily, we come often enough that even when a park is jammed there is always some portion lighter than others. In this case it was Adventureland.
* Great skipper on the Jungle Cruise. If Dan happens to read this, outstanding job!
* We purposely took our time going through Swiss Family enjoying the details. Had lots of fun analyzing the pulley systems and construction. It's things like that which really make WDW fun.
* First time seeing MSEP. Daughter LOVED it and it is her favorite parade now.
* Nightastic fireworks didn't thrill us though. We had been to Pirate and Princess Party and enjoyed the longer version much better. Plus, audio was a bit low so hard to hear the "story".

Tuesday, 10 August
* Animal Kingdom for the morning. Again, quite crowded. Was mistaken that we thought it would be a quiet week after observing the first two days.
* Flights of Wonder had two shows cancelled for electric activity (lightning) in the area but worth the wait. The 5 PM show was lots of fun and, yes, it's corny and cheesy and has a conservation message but it is still neat to see the birds fly around.
* Finding Nemo was super, as always. Think it is the same Marlin and Dory from beginning of show, but could be wrong. They are superb.
* Rode EE three times. No steam on trains but owl was back at top of hill.
* ITTBAB was PACKED. First time I've seen every seat filled. Makes for a fun show with that many people.
* Went to Hollywood Studios in afternoon. Also (surprise!) very crowded.
* Did Disney Animation. This used to be a fairly secret attraction but lately has become crowded, and am glad to see so many people wanting to draw a cartoon character. We had to wait 45 minutes for a show but was worth it as we got to draw Uncle Scrooge. First time for that.
* At 8, tried to go to Fantasmic but was already at standing room only! Wow. CM said it was SRO starting at 7.40!
* For every cloud, though......we ending up going to Star Tours and riding it 6 times before park closed. Daughter wanted to go once in each row and then a final ride in row 5. Fantastic CMs working there and they let us go out the exit and then just re-enter without going through queue. Really great ending to the night.

We are here five more days, so if anyone has anything they would like to ask or I should look for, let me know. Thanks for reading!

SeaCastle

Thanks for the update! I'll be leaving tomorrow annd hope the tarps (and crowds) are down by then. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Scar

Original Poster
SGE had a 40 minute wait?!?! :eek:

Even when MK is totally packed I rarely see it go above 10 minutes

The queue was wrapped around the back side and out the front. Sometimes I question the numbers on the wait time myself, but I did notice there seemed to be an extremely large tour group from Asia (Japan?) in the queue.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
The queue was wrapped around the back side and out the front. Sometimes I question the numbers on the wait time myself, but I did notice there seemed to be an extremely large tour group from Asia (Japan?) in the queue.

Thanks for the updates. Did you happen to notice how long the wait time for Maelstrom was? I know that's a random question, but I've always found that to be a good barometer of how busy EP was as well......

Scar

Original Poster
Thanks for the updates. Did you happen to notice how long the wait time for Maelstrom was? I know that's a random question, but I've always found that to be a good barometer of how busy EP was as well......

Sure did, only because we chose to pass on the attraction that night. It was at 20 minutes at 8 PM and at the door.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Sure did, only because we chose to pass on the attraction that night. It was at 20 minutes at 8 PM and at the door.

When I was there in May at one point the wait time was 50 minutes. I grabbed a FP instead....:)

Scar

Original Poster
Meh, that's what happens at the MK on a Monday.

Really? Every Monday or just those in August? Been many times on Monday in October, November, December, January and never seen that long a wait at SGE or HM.

Curious as this was our first time this week in August. Thanks!

Lisalyn

Great reading Scar - thanks!

Noticed you have been at Epcot quite a bit (LOVE it!) Did you get a chance to experience Via Napoli by chance? I would love to hear thoughts on the food there....

Thanks and have a wonderful 5 more days!

(DD and I are 102 days till WDW takeoff :p)

_Scar

Great TR!

Is it strange that I just got back home from my 9 day stay at WDW on Monday? Are you me in an alternate universe?! :p

Just a week ago, steam was working on EE ): how odd

ChrisFL

Premium Member

Ah, that explains it, if they were Japanese, they LOVE Stitch (I bet they still hated the attraction though :p )

Scar

Original Poster
Philharmagic was out the door on Monday. Crazy.

As a quick update, at DAK today (Wednesday 11 August) and steam WAS working on EE. Looked great. Love seeing it pull into the train.

Dinosaur broke down when we were on it during EMH. It was right before the Carnotaurus where the picture is taken. But we were stuck in a loop on one of the "jerky motion sections". That is, the car would rock back/forth/up/down for about 30 seconds and then stop for five seconds and then cycle through the motion for another 30 seconds. Went on for about 10 minutes which felt like forever!

828tnt

thanks for the update! always enjoy reading feedback while it's fresh....

enjoy the trip!

october can't come soon enough!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom