At Disney, Mission: Space spurs most complaints

speck76

Original Poster
At Disney, Mission: Space spurs most complaints
Reports of injury, illness top other resort rides

Scott Powers and Beth Kassab | Sentinel Staff Writers
Posted April 14, 2006

Even before a second tourist died this week, Mission: Space was emerging as Walt Disney World's most hazardous ride, with more than twice as many reported illnesses and injuries as any other Disney attraction.

Tragedy struck the Epcot ride for the second time when Hiltrud Blümel, 49, of Schmitten, Germany, died Wednesday, a day after she fell ill following a spin on the spaceflight simulator. A 4-year-old boy, Daudi Bamuwamye, died in June after the ride.

Blümel's death renewed questions about the safety of the $100 million attraction that simulates a rocket blastoff and landing.

But plenty of people were eager to experience the ride, which reopened Thursday morning after an inspection late Wednesday by Disney and state officials. Many of the visitors did not know a tourist had died the day before.

Alex Espinoza, 17, rode Mission: Space four times and wasn't worried.

"My voice is destroyed from yelling all day," said Espinoza, who was on a trip with his high-school band from Ohio. "It was really, really fun. They warn you numerous times before you get on the ride. We even had a lady step out before we got on because she was just like, 'I can't do this.' "

In addition to the two deaths in the past 10 months, 10 people have reported serious illnesses or injuries since the ride opened in the summer of 2003, according to reports Disney filed with the Florida Bureau of Fair Rides Inspections. That's the worst record of all the Disney attractions and doesn't include more than 130 other Mission: Space riders who sought medical attention, according to ambulance records.

Second-worst were Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom and the wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon. Each had reported one death and four serious injuries or illnesses since 2003, according to state records.

On Mission: Space, riders are met with 13 signs warning of motion sickness, dark and enclosed spaces and spinning.

Just before people are loaded into the ride capsules, they are shown a video explaining the ride and are again given a chance to exit the line.

All of the warning signs and the video are in English, though Epcot brochures are available in multiple languages at the park's entrance. The brochures briefly describe Mission: Space as the "most thrilling attraction in Disney history" and warn that it may cause motion sickness.

"As with any thrill attraction, Mission: Space is not for all guests," said Disney spokeswoman Kim Prunty.

Prunty said Thursday that no changes have been made to the ride since the Pennsylvania boy's death last summer, and no further review is planned.

There also has been no move to post the warning signs in different languages, she said, but those issues are often reviewed.

A ride worker first called 911 to report Blumel's illness at 1:19 p.m. Tuesday, saying that "she seems pretty bad" but was alert. The ambulance arrived 12 minutes later, and she reached Florida Hospital Celebration Health at 2:04. She died Wednesday.

The Orange County Medical Examiner is expected to perform an autopsy on Blumel today.

Blümel's family asked Disney not to release any information, though Disney reportedly told state authorities that she may have suffered from high blood pressure and other health problems, according to one state source.

Robert A. Samartin, a Tampa attorney representing Daudi's family, said their "hearts go out to the family" of Blümel.

"They certainly understand how they can go from having a wonderful family vacation to just horror," Samartin said. "It's very tragic."

Daudi's death was eventually attributed to a previously undetected heart condition.

Since its start, Mission: Space has developed a troubling reputation for making some people sick. A few months after it opened, it became the only Disney ride offering motion-sickness bags.

The nonfatal incidents reported to the state included three men and a woman who all complained of chest pains and one man who fainted.

Still, millions of people have ridden Mission: Space in three years, and many rave about it as one of the park's top thrills.

Not everyone who gets sick makes a formal complaint.

Paul Borne, 57, a Norfolk, Mass., sales representative, didn't but said he wished he had, after getting sick following a Feb. 28 spin on Mission: Space.

He said he left dizzy, then developed a bad headache that night. The next morning, on the plane home he got sick, tried to head for the lavatory and passed out in the aisle. The flight crew put him on oxygen. When he tried to get up later, he passed out again, and after they landed an ambulance took him straight to a hospital, he said.

After two days of tests the doctors agreed with his assumption that the ride probably was to blame, he said.

"The ride itself? It was wild. It was dizzy. They had puke bags. I would never have gotten on it if I knew it had puke bags. They give you warnings and stuff, but all the rides have warnings," Borne said. "This thing, they gotta close it down."

Mission: Space uses centrifugal force, video and other special effects to make riders feel as if they are in a spaceship blasting off, traveling to Mars and landing. Riders experience four periods, of up to 20 seconds each, when the G-force ranges between 1.6 and 2.3. A G-force of 2 is twice that of gravity.

Under Florida law, Walt Disney World, Universal Orlando, SeaWorld Orlando and Busch Gardens Tampa Bay are responsible for their own ride safety, with no direct state oversight. Bureau of Fair Rides inspectors confer with the theme-park-ride officials annually but only inspect rides when invited.

Terence McElroy, spokesman for the state bureau, described Wednesday night's inspection as "top to bottom."

"Now understand, we don't regulate them. We're not experts on that ride. We don't routinely look at it. So their engineers and safety personnel and inspectors were the ones who actually did it. We did observe that. There did not appear to be anything, to us, that appeared to be out of the ordinary," McElroy said.

Disney officials pride themselves on having what they consider the best ride engineers, inspectors and safety authorities in the country.

However, that doesn't bring much comfort to advocates of public ride inspections such as Kathy Fackler, founder and president of an organization called SaferParks, which pushed for and got California oversight of theme-park-ride safety in 1999.

"All we're asking for is someone who doesn't have huge liability to step in and conduct an independent investigation, and let the public know," she said.

The lines for Mission: Space on Thursday -- in the midst of the busy Easter vacation season -- were much shorter than those at Epcot's other two big rides, Soarin' and Test Track.

One family debated whether to go on.

"We knew it was one of the most popular rides, and I heard about one person who died on it," said Darrell Lipski, who was vacationing from Peoria, Ill., with his wife, Lynette, and their three sons.

Lynette Lipski added, "One person we know went on it and was sick all day."

The couple were unsure whether they would let their family ride, especially their 7-year-old.

"I don't think we want to put him on it," Lynette Lipski said.

Henry Pierson Curtis of the Sentinel staff contributed to this report. Scott Powers can be reached at 407-420-5441 or spowers@orlandosentinel.com. Beth Kassab can be reached at 407-420-5448 or bkassab@orlandosentinel.com.

22942047.jpg

LPK

How can someone get ill on Spaceship Earth? :confused:

It is getting to the point were this ride may close because of all this hype. As much as i agree that the warnings are there for a reason, a lot of people do not know whether they can stand that type of ride.

Now; that report makes M:S sound like a death trap. It reports people getting sick, but what about the millions of others who don't get sick?

WDWFREAK53

Twice as many as any other Disney attraction...

The worst part about this...it's not the ride malfunctioning...this is just how the ride is.

Look at the other attractions, with the exception of the lights from Buzz Lightyear...many of the other attractions' accidents happened before they got on the ride itself or when they were exiting.

WDWFREAK53

LPK said:
Now; that report makes M:S sound like a death trap. It reports people getting sick, but what about the millions of others who don't get sick?

The fact of the matter...millions of people ride every attraction...so that stat is pretty much null and void. This is a comparison based on how many tragedies have happened to all the attractions in WDW. Mission:Space is far above the others.

Laura

Premium Member
Jajo said:
That bothers me the most. If you don't listen, don't blame somebody else.

I don't understand why everyone keeps saying these people are blaming anyone. They are DEAD - how can they be passing blame?? :rolleyes:

Timmay

WDWFREAK53 said:
The fact of the matter...millions of people ride every attraction...so that stat is pretty much null and void. This is a comparison based on how many tragedies have happened to all the attractions in WDW. Mission:Space is far above the others.

:brick: :brick: :brick:

How is 12 "far above" 5?? Especially with the volume that is pumped through M:S and SM. The point would be valid if only 20 people had gone on M:S and a million on SM...but that is not the case.

So M:S has ..what, 58% more "reported incidents than SM...great...when we are dealing with numbers that are small in nature compared to the amount of total people that do go on the ride, yes, I would say that millions of people that do not get sick or injured obviosly matter and is not null and void.

And Laura, you are right...I would say that the people that lost their lives are truly not to blame...unless they knew for sure they had a serious medical condition and we knew for sure they read and ignored the warnings. Same for the people that got sick. Heck, I got sick the first time I rode it...but it was obvios to me it was my fault...didn't bother to follow the safety instructions for the ride.

robynchic

Those two deaths, as far as I can tell, were the result of guest stupidity. The kid was 4 years old- he shouldn't have been on the ride in the first place. And it was reported that the woman had high blood pressure. THEY WARN NOT TO RIDE IF YOU HAVE HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE!

Two more examples of guest stupidity...:brick:

hokielutz

The other fact is this is a "unique" ride experience. Not just your everyday run-of-the-mill Gravitron centrifuge. It not only spins, but tilts on different axies to give the riders simulated feelings of launching into space. Not everyone can handle such an experience that can apply strange new stresses on the body. Because of that, I think the warnings for this attraction should be heeded more than any of their other ride experiences. People can get sick from a number of things like:

Riding in a car
the back of a tour bus
boats or cruise ships
regular roller coasters
Bad food
Heat exhaustion
Dehydration
:hurl:

M/S is not for everyone and it is built for those who seek new experiences. Because Disney built it, I suspect many are less cautious about the ride than they should be.

WDWFREAK53

Timmay said:
:brick: :brick: :brick:

How is 12 "far above" 5?? Especially with the volume that is pumped through M:S and SM. The point would be valid if only 20 people had gone on M:S and a million on SM...but that is not the case.

So M:S has ..what, 58% more "reported incidents than SM...great...when we are dealing with numbers that are small in nature compared to the amount of total people that do go on the ride, yes, I would say that millions of people that do not get sick or injured obviosly matter and is not null and void.

And Laura, you are right...I would say that the people that lost their lives are truly not to blame...unless they knew for sure they had a serious medical condition and we knew for sure they read and ignored the warnings. Same for the people that got sick. Heck, I got sick the first time I rode it...but it was obvios to me it was my fault...didn't bother to follow the safety instructions for the ride.

Timmay and everybody else here that doesn't think anything of this.

When is it just NOT ok to overlook this and call it just another "unfortunate circumstance?"

2 people have died in 10 months. Countless numbers of people get sick (whether a formal complaint is filed or not) and many others have had chest pains.

How many have to die?

I'm really shocked that more people aren't actually a little concerned.

Buford

PhotoDave219 said:
Oh well. Anyone else think that this will kill the ride?
I don't think it will kill it totally but this is not good press for Disney.....today is the 2nd day that bad Disney news makes top story of the front page for the entire Orlando area. :lookaroun I would imagine SOMETHING would be done....whether an executive speaks out or some kind of alteration is made in some form

Shaman

WDWFREAK53 said:
Timmay and everybody else here that doesn't think anything of this.

When is it just NOT ok to overlook this and call it just another "unfortunate circumstance?"

2 people have died in 10 months. Countless numbers of people get sick (whether a formal complaint is filed or not) and many others have had chest pains.

How many have to die?

I'm really shocked that more people aren't actually a little concerned.

I think the main problem is...the wrong people going in and riding M:S...Disney has to do a better job of making sure those people more likely to become ill fully understand the warnings. Words on a screen will just be words...they should show people what the ride does so that people can make a better call (not that they will...but...)....

MrNonacho

Premium Member
PhotoDave219 said:
Oh well. Anyone else think that this will kill the ride?

Honestly, after working there yesterday and paying close attention to guests, I don't. People were still excited to ride. I overheard several people (that were actually in line to ride) discussing this incident, but there wasn't any palpable negativity because of it.

As negative as the media has been and how many backseat theme park operators there are here on this very forum, I am very glad that the ride's fate is in the hands of people that actually know a thing or two. They will wait until the facts are in before making a judgement on a ride that 13,000+ people enjoyed yesterday.

Since1976

If there is a third death in the next year or two, whether directly caused by the ride or not, I think M:S might be phased out by 2012, if only to keep WDW PR people from tearing their hair out. Of course, Disney would find a way to change the ride without directly addressing their reasons for doing so (a la their replacement of the too-scary Alien Encounter with Stitch's Great Escape).

WDWFREAK53

Since1976 said:
If there is a third death in the next year or two, whether directly caused by the ride or not, I think M:S might be phased out by 2012, if only to keep WDW PR people from tearing their hair out. Of course, Disney would find a way to change the ride without directly addressing their reasons for doing so (a la their replacement of the too-scary Alien Encounter with Stitch's Great Escape).

At this pace...there'll be approx. 6-7 deaths by 2012.

kreiderr

The fact is you're in greater danger of being killed driving to work than you are on any Disney Ride. Most likely the autopsy will indicate the woman was suffering from a physical ailment she was not aware of (or was aware of and didn't listen to the warnings) Two years ago we rode Mission Space for the First Time. My mom (who was 58 at the time) loved it. What we didn't know was that 6 months later she had to have surgery for a brain tumor she didn't even know she had. She had successful surgery, recovered and went to Disney in December 2005. She rode Mission Space without problems again. Each ride will affect people differently. Shutting it down is not the best option. People assuming responsibility for their own health and well-being is.

Computer Magic

robynchic said:
Those two deaths, as far as I can tell, were the result of guest stupidity. The kid was 4 years old- he shouldn't have been on the ride in the first place. And it was reported that the woman had high blood pressure. THEY WARN NOT TO RIDE IF YOU HAVE HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE!

Two more examples of guest stupidity...:brick:
Daudi's death was eventually attributed to a previously undetected heart condition.

It's not the guest fault if the condition was previously undetected. It's not Disney fault either. So be careful before calling guest stupid....they pay your salary

and I do see Disney taming the ride in the future for the right or wrong reason.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom