Astro Orbitor

danesporty

Original Poster
I was just wondering if Astro Orbitor is up and running again, and are the planets back? If not will the planets be back up soon? They really make it look nice!!!

SpenceMan01

Last time I heard AO WAS up and running with guests, but the planets are still backstage awaiting their triumphant (and hopefully spinning) return. Hope that helps!

Lee

Adventurer
The point? They're nice but not that important.

I mean...the ride existed for 20-ish years without them, didn't it?

CTXRover

Over this past weekend, all the planets had been removed from AO, including the one that was up the weekend before, but the ride was up and working and, of what was there, looking great. I've read on here that the planets are still in the workshop getting their final coats of paint, etc. and will be installed sometime in the future during the night-time hours. No reason to keep a fully operational ride closed simply while the planets are still being touched up. The planets make the AO look really good, but do little to for the overall experience of the actual ride. They're trying to please those who don't want the ride closed when they go to the MK, while also working on the planets to hopefully get them operational and show-ready once again.

KevinPage

Lee said:
The point? They're nice but not that important.

I mean...the ride existed for 20-ish years without them, didn't it?

Really - when were they added, in the '94 redo?

I must plead ignorance from anything detail oriented before 1996, when we started going religiously (but not in a religous sense, if that makes any sense :lol: )

CTXRover

KevinPage said:
Really - when were they added, in the '94 redo?

I must plead ignorance from anything detail oriented before 1996, when we started going religiously (but not in a religous sense, if that makes any sense :lol: )

For the longest time before the '94 re-do, AO was known as the Star Jets and was simply a white tower meant to look like a rocket ship with the smaller rockets circling it. Very simple looking with no planets at all, but also a classic TL look.

A good pic from back in 1991 of the Star Jets can be found here courtesy of disneypix.com: http://www.disneypix.com/MagicKingdom/Tomorrowland/1991a/TL1191-01.htm

KevinPage

CTXRover said:
For the longest time before the '94 re-do, AO was known as the Star Jets and was simply a white tower meant to look like a rocket ship with the smaller rockets circling it. Very simple looking with no planets at all, but also a classic TL look.

A good pic from back in 1991 of the Star Jets can be found here courtesy of disneypix.com: http://www.disneypix.com/MagicKingdom/Tomorrowland/1991a/TL1191-01.htm

Geeshy, that is wicked old school, I thought they removed the rocket years earlier.

Was WedWay changed to TTA in '94 as well ?

GymLeaderPhil

KevinPage said:
Geeshy, that is wicked old school, I thought they removed the rocket years earlier.

Was WedWay changed to TTA in '94 as well ?

Yep, New Tommorowland in 1994 was quite awesome. Especially the Galaxy Quest show with the huge Elvis dinosaur until the theater became wasted space.

jmuboy

I long for the Magic Kingdom of the early 1990's, when Disney still cared about telling astory in the park.

-SIR-

I remember seeing a show going on at the theatre in tomorrowland in the late 90's/2000.... what was it? Had people dancing around in very futuristic suits... very cheesey.... was that Galaxy quest? I dont remember an elvis Dinosaur...although sounds like something I would enjoy..lol :hammer:

Indy95

jmuboy said:
I long for the Magic Kingdom of the early 1990's, when Disney still cared about telling astory in the park.

Winnie the Pooh, Buzz Lightyear, and Mickey's Philharmagic don't tell stories? And the Skyway did? You've confused me.

Steamboat_Kevin

I think Star Jets was really cool looking. Moreso than Astro Orbiter, actually. The planets ARE nice and a good centerpiece for Tomorrowland, but I always liked the rocket ship more.

Indy95

At least we should be thankful that AO is still in the Rocket Jet location, unlike the poor saps at Disneyland who don't get a view of anything but an empty Tomorrowland. :(

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Indy95 said:
At least we should be thankful that AO is still in the Rocket Jet location, unlike the poor saps at Disneyland who don't get a view of anything but an empty Tomorrowland. :(

I`ll second that.

Now, about TK and CoP..

-SIR-

I like the astro orbitor much more than star jets, it looks more like fantasy which is what the kingdom is all about... I really love the way the planets look but have never been on it myself

so i know that the planets are being worked on for a planned return, but does anyone have any proposed dates. i dont care if it is credible, make it up! i dont care, i just need something to calm me down. I LOVE the planets, I remember seeing them for the first time as a kid when they did the re-do. I think they look amazing lit up at night, it gives tommorrowland an incredible feel. I am going to be in WDW from March 18 -26. There better be some planets spinning when i walk up to tomorrowland!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom