As an adult, why do you go to WDW???

As an adult, why do you go to WDW???

• Sentimental reasons-I grew up going to Disney World

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • I go strictly for my kids, I don't really care for WDW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a kid at heart

Votes: 77 44.3%
  • I love everything about Disney, always have.

Votes: 130 74.7%
  • Other

Votes: 10 5.7%

• Total voters

WDWmazprty

Original Poster
As a comliment to blackthidot's great thread on 'is WDW just for kids', I figured why not have a poll to see exactly what the concensus is on why we as adults go the World.

Enjoy!!!!:wave:

janoimagine

I have a crazy, fast, work driven life. Our 8 to 10 day trip to the world is my chance to take a break from it. No cell phones, no computers, no secretary, no production meetings, it's a time of recharging for me, it is more like a therapy session. :lol:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Started 9 years ago in my 40's. Was immediately disappointed that I hadn't gone sooner.

Mukta

Interesting question. I have never really thought about 'why' I go. I grew up going to Disneyland, but it isn't really a nostalgia thing for me. I genuinely like being in the parks.
It is an immersive experience where my real life problems don't exist. As much as I love going to Disneyland, I still go home at the end of the night. WDW took my love of Disneyland and added in a vacation factor.
For 9 days, I don't go to work and I don't drive. My KTTW card is all I need and it covers everything I want to do. I eat good food, see fun shows and enjoy great rides. I come home to a lovely hotel with great service.

Evil Genius

Really my reasons are two fold...

1) I am a kid at heart. I love the escapism I experience when in WDW and love to feed that 'inner child'.

2) I love experiencing the parks through my little girls' eyes. Feeling the magic as they feel it really is a rush.

Graham9

My wife fell in love with the place when we first went years ago and I've been threatened with a divorce if we don't go again this year.

I'm only tagging along because I'm paying, so I had just as well enjoy the parades, rides, shows, atmosphere, displays, food and resort - as there's nothing else to do.

:ROFLOL:

nolatron

1) Nostalgia - We each went as kids and love just being there in the Disney Atmosphere.

2) Dining - Half the fun for us planning on which restaurants we're gonna eat at on each trip.

3) One stop shop. Visiting cities is nice and all, but always a pita to get anywhere. We just like the simplicity of getting around WDW and the parks.

4) We got married as Sunset Pointe, so Disney will always be a part of us.

5) And now, we go to see our little DD's face light up when she sees Mickey, the castle, the monorail, etc...

lebeau

I went as a kid. But didn't really think about it as an adult. I took my wife for our honeymoon since she was a big Mickey fan and had never been. I like taking the kids, but I'd go even if we didn't have them. I am interested in Disney and its history, but I definitely don't idolize everything they do. They make a lot of mistakes.

I suppose you could say I'm a kid at heart. That's how most other adults rationalize it when they find out I like to go. But I think that sells the experience short. I enjoy the top of the line immersion that can only be experienced in a few places. Disney and Universal do it the best. Disney makes for a more complete vacation destination.

Horizons1

I've been going every year since I was born, which after yesterday is 22 years. I've seen the place grown and change so much. Some of the best times of my life so far were spent as a young kid at WDW. Of course, I still have fun there now too.

I have two kids, now 3 and 5, so most would think I go for them. I do, but mostly, I go for US. Disney brings us all to the same feeling, same "level" if you will, where the 4 of us get to enjoy each bit of the World together and equally. We have enjoyed many other vacations to many other places together, but this is one that cannot be surpassed, the one place we all go back to year after year, and look forward to each trip as if it were the first one all over again!

WDWmazprty

Original Poster
I have two kids, now 3 and 5, so most would think I go for them. I do, but mostly, I go for US. Disney brings us all to the same feeling, same "level" if you will, where the 4 of us get to enjoy each bit of the World together and equally. We have enjoyed many other vacations to many other places together, but this is one that cannot be surpassed, the one place we all go back to year after year, and look forward to each trip as if it were the first one all over again!

Ditto!

wild01ride

A couple quotes that really sum up my feelings about WDW and motivation for going:

"People don't come here for escapism - they come for reassurance that the world is OK." - John Hench
(Although I think escapism is a part of it for me as well!)

"We don’t think of grownups and we don’t think of children, but just of that fine, clean, unspoiled spot down deep in every one of us that maybe the world has made us forget..." -Walt Disney

WDW is definitely a place where I can go and I don't feel like I need to impress anyone, I don't feel like I'm going to be judged, I don't feel like people are caught up on status, appearance, etc. Although, of course, there's some of that stuff in small, isolated amounts, that part is the minority. The majority is those people who are there to relax, enjoy, and to connect with some goodness inside.

SulleyanBoo

I go because I love everything about Disney and always have and definitely am a kid at heart. I am inspired by Walt and everything he created. Disney is an escape from reality and really puts me at my happiest when I am there. :D

Sloan

true vacation

I'm a single guy in my early 40's, and I love Disney. I've been fortunate enough to have done a great deal of travelling in my lifetime - most of the World Showcase countries and many, many others (including some we all wish would be added to World Showcase!), but I still keep returning to Disney. The Disney vacations are the most relaxing for me - no 8 to 18 hour flights, customs & immigration, currency exchange, immunizations, etc.. I'm sure that the fact I've been going to Disney for more than 35 years adds in a good dose of nostalgia too ....

I also love dining at Disney. Some of the Disney Signature restaurants really are world-class, with California Grill, Citricos, Jiko, and Victoria & Alberts being prime examples. The Food & Wine Festival at Disney is also one of my favorites - so many great events all on the Disney property. And interestingly, while many things at Disney (such as the Deluxe accommodations) can seem over-priced when compared with the 'real world', the prices for fine dining can actually be better at Disney than at other popular 'foodie' destinations (ie. NYC, San Francisco, London, Paris, etc.) (and then to grab a burger at Pecos Bill's or Cosmic Ray's after all that 'fancy' stuff is a treat too!)

Like janoimagine, my job can be pretty stressful, and there are lots of times where I work 12 hr days, with only one day for the 'weekend', so when I can get away to the World, its such a relief. I'm so glad that its just 23 days until my next visit! :sohappy:

sueuk

Our first visit was for our daughters 16th birthday, second visit was for our silver wedding year when we took her, our son and his (then) wife with us, since then it's been our time. The moment we pass through that gateway we're away from the real world for 2 weeks - no work, worries or problems. We love it and will keep going as long as we can.
Incidentally - our son now has a new fiance with a 9 year old son, and although he only visited that once with us, he 'got it' and can't wait till next April when he's taking young Jack for his first visit.

BuzzGoofy

Three years ago my adult DD talked me into going(She is a Disney Fanatic. We went back again last year and I think that I was more exited about going than she was. At 50 years old, I find that WDW lets me experience being a kid all over again.

I am greatly looking forward to our next trip in 2013, to see the new Fantasyland and hopfully stay at the Art oF Animation.

93boomer

Premium Member
We go to WDW because we love it!! As we walk through the first park gates, we just seem to relax and forget everything but us. That is why we have been going since our daughter, who is now 25, was in 2nd grade. And now that she can't go with us as much, we go alone and still have loads of fun! After all, it's Disney!!:)

zurgandfriend

I'm a single guy in my early 40's, and I love Disney. I've been fortunate enough to have done a great deal of travelling in my lifetime - most of the World Showcase countries and many, many others (including some we all wish would be added to World Showcase!), but I still keep returning to Disney. The Disney vacations are the most relaxing for me - no 8 to 18 hour flights, customs & immigration, currency exchange, immunizations, etc.. I'm sure that the fact I've been going to Disney for more than 35 years adds in a good dose of nostalgia too ....

I also love dining at Disney. Some of the Disney Signature restaurants really are world-class, with California Grill, Citricos, Jiko, and Victoria & Alberts being prime examples. The Food & Wine Festival at Disney is also one of my favorites - so many great events all on the Disney property. And interestingly, while many things at Disney (such as the Deluxe accommodations) can seem over-priced when compared with the 'real world', the prices for fine dining can actually be better at Disney than at other popular 'foodie' destinations (ie. NYC, San Francisco, London, Paris, etc.) (and then to grab a burger at Pecos Bill's or Cosmic Ray's after all that 'fancy' stuff is a treat too!)

Like janoimagine, my job can be pretty stressful, and there are lots of times where I work 12 hr days, with only one day for the 'weekend', so when I can get away to the World, its such a relief. I'm so glad that its just 23 days until my next visit! :sohappy:

Same here; between being and old military man and my civilian business I’ve been just about everywhere in the world. When I am at WDW I can just relax and besides all the travel worries you mention I also don’t feel like I have to look over my shoulder all the time like I do when I travel for business.
The food is great and interesting while still recognizable. My days of eating things that crawled out of a septic tank to prove I can survive in the wild are over. Andrew Zimmern you just help yourself.

EvilQueen-T

first of all i love the total immersion you get when you stay on property at wdw. i find that going with young children vs going with just adults is a totally different experience. when we go without kids we do signature dining, enjoy the resort a little more, enjoy using the disney transportation as our designated driver lol. when my husband and i go we honeymoon style vacation. when i go with my siblings we hit the parks hard and go nonstop til we drop. with my granddaughter it's all about her experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom