News Artist Point to become Storybook Dining character experience

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So Artist Point’s food and service are better now than in ~2000 when it had a character breakfast?

I think DDP is the demon, not who is in attendance at breakfast.

I agree totally with that...but it doesn’t matter how we get to the goal line...we still get there.

Artists point was much better (like everywhere else) in 2000...and that is the dining plan to blame.

But I’d rather something similar with character morning than all Day characters.

Storytellers Cafe is bad (actually most Disneyland food is in comparison)...we don’t need that.

ToTBellHop

I agree totally with that...but it doesn’t matter how we get to the goal line...we still get there.

Artists point was much better (like everywhere else) in 2000...and that is the dining plan to blame.

But I’d rather something similar with character morning than all Day characters.

Storytellers Cafe is bad (actually most Disneyland food is in comparison)...we don’t need that.
I never understood why they didn’t just add characters to Whispering Canyon breakfast if they really want a $34 breakfast at the Lodge.

People would see them from the lobby and be like, “Honey, it’s Chip and Dale! Book it!” ~Mickey Eargasm~

Last edited:

trainplane3

I don't recall the specifics. This was a couple years ago. But I recall ordering an appetizer that involved pasta and promised a farm egg. There was no egg or sauce. It was just pasta. And nothing else. It was like a 1/4 completed dish. I also recall being very underwhelmed by the steak. I had also brought a nice bottle of wine and it sat there on the table for quite a while until someone bothered to uncork it for us. The service in general was lacking (and I typically don't care too much about service). Just remarkably underwhelming, which is disappointing considering the space.

I much prefer Bluezoo, Jiko, and Flying Fish when we dine in Disney.
Ouch. That is terrible. I know for sure I would've spoken up about it. Personally, I don't think I would've written it off completely from one meal but obviously there's something not right at AP that I haven't experienced but many others have. It really is inexcusable to have this much inconsistency.

We had a bad meal at either California Grill or Narcoossee's (can't remember). Food came out undercooked, slow, just bad overall ($5 says chef was having a really bad day). Dad spoke up about it and we got all of the food re-prepared (from scratch obviously), all alcohol paid for, free desserts, a free room service meal at our hotel, and a bottle of wine later that night that was sent to our room with a handwritten apology from the manager of the restaurant. This was 10 years ago though, so who knows what they would've done now. Much better then the usual "here's some FPs, have fun" that I've heard people receive.

I never understood why they didn’t just add characters to Whispering Canyon breakfast if they really want a $34 breakfast at the Lodge.
That^
Also, I won't disagree with the DDP shaking things up.

Disneyhead'71

Ok...what I’m saying is that character meals represent a decline in food quality/value from a place like artist’s point.

We need fewer chef Mickey’s...not more
Oh, I agree. That is why I hate to see places like Emeril's Tchoup Chop and Disney's Artist's Pointe switched from "Signature" dining to "Character" dining. It is not a move in a quality direction.

asianway

Steakhouse 55 - home of the raw baked potato

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

People would see them from the lobby and be like, “Honey, it’s Chip and Dale! Book it!” ~Mickey Eargasm~

Welllll - up until recently, WC HAD characters. Regular visitors would have referred to this as the staff :).
NOW all of this has forced me to think of "Bridget" dressed up as Snow White - and being "Bridget" :).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I think - sadly - this rumor of ap going away is a weird accounting known as the “DVC effect”

Every damn penny of overhead must be squeezed till Lincoln screams to “justify” a timeshare construction cost that they parlay into huge bills to the temporary “owners” for 45 years.

It’s now 60% ish DVC there...more than boardwalk...and every seat must be packed. Whispering canyon is popular, so double it down and make a character place right next door that is far too similar. The closest comparison is kona and O’Hana. In the past, concourse and chef Mickey’s would have also been a template. Or the grand block of restaurants.

I have a problem with the lack of an upscale option if it goes away.

But I get why: empty seats are a “loss” of easy revenues and people act like fools around character buffets. I get it it.

Of course - they cause it...narcotic like addiction of the cusmtoer on on the dining plans and double the OOP prices with less variety/experience to we crotchety, “traditional” dining patrons.

Such is life when they’re slinging “once in a lifetime” memories, huh?

Watwho

To be honest I was not impressed with Artist Point. The one time we ate there we were shuffled around, the waiter was awful and the food was blah. My husband & I are STH without children that visit no less than 10 X's a year and over the pass 2 years our goal is to try every restaurant on Disney property (Parks & all hotels) Artist Point got an F so if they are reimagining - rebranding, prefect can't wait to see how it turns out.

Joebradley62

Hmpf. Mosquitoes breed in pails of water, sewers, gutters, bird baths only needing an inch of water to lay eggs anywhere But they don’t breed at Disney Springs because it is man made???? Not natural???? Priceless :hilarious:

Hey, it's the wilderness lodge, got to be more mosquitoes in the wilderness! When are people going to start standing up for mosquitoes. Should probably look at getting them protected status.

bunnyman

Have stayed at the WL many times over the years, and can tell you it is never more than 1/2 full. In the old days, it used to have a wait; no longer. And as I mentioned earlier, it used to have a Winnie the Pooh character breakfast many years back as well. Remember going there around the 2000 time frame when our kids were little.

Joebradley62

BoardWalk doesn't have any restaurants of its own? What? It has a ton of restaurants. And Trattoria al Forno has a character breakfast.

No character meals at AKL. I don't think SSR or OKW do, either, but I don't honestly pay them much attention.

Probably meant inside the boardwalk resort proper

Joebradley62

Ouch. That is terrible. I know for sure I would've spoken up about it. Personally, I don't think I would've written it off completely from one meal but obviously there's something not right at AP that I haven't experienced but many others have. It really is inexcusable to have this much inconsistency.

We had a bad meal at either California Grill or Narcoossee's (can't remember). Food came out undercooked, slow, just bad overall ($5 says chef was having a really bad day). Dad spoke up about it and we got all of the food re-prepared (from scratch obviously), all alcohol paid for, free desserts, a free room service meal at our hotel, and a bottle of wine later that night that was sent to our room with a handwritten apology from the manager of the restaurant. This was 10 years ago though, so who knows what they would've done now. Much better then the usual "here's some FPs, have fun" that I've heard people receive.

That^
Also, I won't disagree with the DDP shaking things up.
Now you get a "sorry, have some coffee on us". Last meal I had at AP was pretty mediocre as well, service was also just adequate.

Many years ago there was a Pocahontas, John Smith, Meeko and Radcliffe character breakfast at WL.
Dec 1997. One of the best character breakfasts ever!
09D64387-F3CA-49FE-A289-6A3B8377E31D.jpeg
D69EFB0E-C4B3-49CC-8F4C-A1BFA20D5207.jpeg

Disney Drew

Many years ago there was a Pocahontas, John Smith, Meeko and Radcliffe character breakfast at WL.

Actually attended this one - it was FANTASTIC!!! And so was the food - It was January 1998 though, if I recall correctly...

Would absolutely LOVE to see them all again!

ToTBellHop

Worth noting... this is no RUMOR.
All one needs to do is to see if AP has any official BOOKING TIMES, after Oct 28, 2018 at ....
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/
If you can't book? It's dead - until resurrected.
No. Just no. Closing for refurbishment is very different from closing for good. When Splash closes most Januarys, I don’t think it’s closed for good.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
DATA? Perhaps you have a WDW announcement that we would all love to share? Dear wife and I love AP... but WDW is SILENT. If you have data? Would love to hear it :).

Using the WDW website schedule and availabilities to figure out changes in WDW policy is usually just dead wrong. WDW is notorious for bad online scheduling that changes often. People have used WDW to proclaim that the MK isn't having nightly fireworks anymore simply because it wasn't in the online schedule... until it was.

IOW, you haven't stumbled upon the secret for figuring out what WDW is going to do. You just got sucked into one of their online dead ends.

ToTBellHop

DATA? Perhaps you have a WDW announcement that we would all love to share? Dear wife and I love AP... but WDW is SILENT. If you have data? Would love to hear it :).
Data? I’m sure you imagine I recorded a conversation about Artist Point and will now leak it to CNN, but this isn’t the White House and Artist Point is being refurbished into a more plain concept like every other restaurant remodel of late. But there’ll be characters, so it’s a net-gain, right? If you don’t believe me, that’s your prerogative.

On the other hand, I have no idea what’s going on with the wandering son, Whispering Canyon. Not sure they’ve decided what to do with it either. Maybe it’s just going through a phase that it’ll grow out of.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom