News Artist Point to become Storybook Dining character experience

Unplugged

I heard it was adding the morning character (as it had a long time ago), but is more so a remodel for the facility (kitchen & dining). Seems to be the same scoop others here have heard. If you haven't been to the Lodge for dining, this is most likely not an attempt to capture your group. It can often be tough to get reservation there for dinner, and with the additional DVC rooms, it hasn't proven to be an issue that I've seen. Just time to leverage the unused breakfast space and update the facility, IMHO (until confirmed).

trainplane3

That's probably why they're changing it. It's an expensive, 2 credit restaurant that for many may be ignored for its location.

IMO between Disney Springs, the resorts and parks, Disney is over saturating its own market for signature/upscale dining.
While I enjoy the food there, I understand why people may not care for it. WDW does have so many dining options that unless a restaurant is amazing, it'll be overlooked quickly.

But the location of the resort is its' big theme, being in the middle of the woods away from "everything". The pool refurbs and the cabins (even if there are too many, personally) have added to the setting and enhanced it. Geyser Point is a great addition just because of its setting and the food is a plus. And all the theming added recently around the lake side of the hotel is great. This is why I don't want to see some monstrosity built over by the campgrounds, unless they can keep it low and well themed.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
While I enjoy the food there, I understand why people may not care for it. WDW does have so many dining options that unless a restaurant is amazing, it'll be overlooked quickly.

But the location of the resort is its' big theme, being in the middle of the woods away from "everything". The pool refurbs and the cabins (even if there are too many, personally) have added to the setting and enhanced it. Geyser Point is a great addition just because of its setting and the food is a plus. And all the theming added recently around the lake side of the hotel is great. This is why I don't want to see some monstrosity built over by the campgrounds, unless they can keep it low and well themed.

I'm torn. Artist food has always been spot on. Signature service??? and setting??? not as much lately. Did dine there several times over almost 2 weeks in 2017 it is lacking. Turning it into a Character dining location I'm meh on. Wilderness Lodge has always lacked on good dining. Geyser Point could be a quick relaxing bite but the only bites we have received is the mosquitoes that are beyond prevalent in that area after dusk. Even in the food board menu posted as you enter, more bugs than words. Territory dumb'd down their menu this year, it isn't a plus.

Fork is hurt by the new chef menu and the indoor seating area is cramped every morning and evening. It is tiny given the amount of quarters added. I love the Lodge, its food service needs a complete redraw. Even the club level lounge has an attitude...sorry were out...one hour after food service starts....once out it is gone? What the heck is that about at club level? As much as I love staying here eating there is awful.

trainplane3

I'm torn. Artist food has always been spot on. Signature service??? and setting??? not as much lately. Did dine there several times over almost 2 weeks in 2017 it is lacking. Turning it into a Character dining location I'm meh on. Wilderness Lodge has always lacked on good dining. Geyser Point could be a quick relaxing bite but the only bites we have received is the mosquitoes that are beyond prevalent in that area after dusk. Even in the food board menu posted as you enter, more bugs than words. Territory dumb'd down their menu this year, it isn't a plus.

Fork is hurt by the new chef menu and the indoor seating area is cramped every morning and evening. It is tiny given the amount of quarters added. I love the Lodge, its food service needs a complete redraw. Even the club level lounge has an attitude...sorry were out...one hour after food service starts....once out it is gone? What the heck is that about at club level? As much as I love staying here eating there is awful.
I can't comment on the club level since I've been in the DVC wing since it was opened in 2000 and I haven't eaten down in the Roaring Fork since 2009, I always bring the food back to my room. I know they've added outdoor seating so I thought that would've helped a bit. Only way to truly expand it is to knock out some rooms which I'm sure they aren't willing to do.

Geyser Point is our official kick off spot when we stay at WL, so we get food right when we arrive, around lunch-ish. I won't say the food is amazing but it's plenty good for me. The mosquito issue is expected, you're in the middle of a swamp. I know Disney tries to control them but there's only so much that can be done.

Artist Point? Never had a bad meal. Mussels and cedar plank salmon just about everytime.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The dining room space isn’t really conducive/large enough for a character meal...at least not based on today’s crowds. They can’t move enough meat through there like all the others.

And I gotta ask this: what demand is there for the 7 dwarfs at a character meal? Seriously...there’s a REASON why the characters used are mostly repetitive amongst 3 general themes. That aspect of this doesn’t pass the “sniff test”

SpectroBro

In the Parks
Yes
The dining room space isn’t really conducive/large enough for a character meal...at least not based on today’s crowds. They can’t move enough meat through there like all the others.

And I gotta ask this: what demand is there for the 7 dwarfs at a character meal? Seriously...there’s a REASON why the characters used are mostly repetitive amongst 3 general themes. That aspect of this doesn’t pass the “sniff test”
No one said anything about 7.

Gabe1

I can't comment on the club level since I've been in the DVC wing since it was opened in 2000 and I haven't eaten down in the Roaring Fork since 2009, I always bring the food back to my room. I know they've added outdoor seating so I thought that would've helped a bit. Only way to truly expand it is to knock out some rooms which I'm sure they aren't willing to do.

Geyser Point is our official kick off spot when we stay at WL, so we get food right when we arrive, around lunch-ish. I won't say the food is amazing but it's plenty good for me. The mosquito issue is expected, you're in the middle of a swamp. I know Disney tries to control them but there's only so much that can be done.

Artist Point? Never had a bad meal. Mussels and cedar plank salmon just about everytime.

I know there are guests that enjoy eating in their rooms I am just not one of them. You are correct there is outside seating however with the heat and humidity it hasn’t been a help to fix the indoor seating issue. Plus they are slow along with limited choices offered at other deluxe resorts. I’ve never had a bad meal at Artist either but I’ve had much better experiences there than I have as of late.

I disagree with expectation of mosquitoes at the point. Disney does a fantastic job with mosquito abatement on property. At the Point they should step it up to the level of other outdoor venues on property given the Zika risk along with guest comfort.

peter11435

At the Point they should step it up to the level of other outdoor venues on property given the Zika risk along with guest comfort.

I don’t believe there is any difference in the level of mosquito control at the lodge compared to anywhere else. I think it’s simply the outdoor location on a large natural lake surroundered by largely untouched Florida wilderness.

Gabe1

I don’t believe there is any difference in the level of mosquito control at the lodge compared to anywhere else. I think it’s simply the outdoor location on a large natural lake surroundered by largely untouched Florida wilderness.
If that was remotely true I’d be bitten all night long at venues and shops at Disney Springs

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I heard it's just Snow White, Prince and Dopey. Which I dont get how that fits thematically at all.
Snow White because WL is best enjoyed in winter.
Prince Charming because they want to charm you into spending the night there.
Dopey because you're paying huge bucks for a character meal that would have been $20 less without the characters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom