Artist Point Review - June 2014

DonaldDoleWhip

Original Poster
Posted this on another site, but I thought some of you might find it interesting as well. :) This review is from the beginning of June, so the included menus should still be accurate (with one exception: the Copper River salmon might no longer be in season).

DSC_0147_zps7c78b74e.jpg

Artist Point has been our favorite Disney restaurant for quite a while now, but this time it happened to be our only signature meal of the trip. This raised our expectations even higher than usual, as we didn't want to regret our decision.

DSC_0189_zps284e4803.jpg

Shortly after arriving, we were seated at a window table overlooking the resort courtyard. Even though construction was taking place outside, we still enjoyed the seclusion of our table, as well as our view of the restaurant's beautiful murals.

DSC_0240_zpsff3d04d0.jpg

DSC_0188_zpsb61fce49.jpg

Here's a look at the menu, which featured Copper River Salmon at the time of our meal.

IMG_9491_zpsaed98b79.jpg

IMG_9494_zps00e9d0fd.jpg

The meal began with Artist Point's sourdough bread, butter with sea salt, and fennel-infused oil. The fennel flavor and crunch from the sea salt make this bread basket one of my favorites in WDW.

DSC_0153_zpsb40bb3cb.jpg

My starter was the Chilled Ahi Tuna with Yuzu Avocado Crema, Watermelon Vinaigrette, Radish, and Togarashi Sunchoke Chips - I absolutely loved it. The tuna itself was spiced well, and the yuzu avocado crema perfectly united the creaminess of avocado with the citrusy flavor of yuzu. Finished with a salty crunch from the sunchoke chips and some black sea salt, this dish was full of incredible flavors.

DSC_0156_zpsf01e7b30.jpg

The other appetizer on the table was the Delta Asparagus Salad with White Asparagus Crema, Boursin Cheese, Poached Quail Eggs, Serrano Ham Crisps, Figs, and Cabernet Dressing. This dish also got great feedback, and I enjoyed the one bite I tried (consisting of asparagus, radish, and quail egg).

DSC_0157_zpsbcba36f6.jpg

For my main course, I had to go with the "First of the Season" Cedar Plank-roasted Copper River Wild King Salmon. The accompaniments change seasonally - this time the salmon was served with Fregola Pasta, English Spring Peas, Zellwood Sweet Corn, Peppadew Peppers, Cipollini Onions, Pea Nage, and Sundried Tomato and Cabernet Aioli.

As usual, the salmon was prepared extremely well, although I have to admit that the accompaniments didn't excite me as much as they have in the past. The sundried tomato and cabernet aioli had a bold flavor that I enjoyed, but the pea puree didn't complement the fish, IMO. The pasta was also somewhat basic, but at least the sweetness of the corn added a nice flavor.

DSC_0162_zpsb3a0a8ba.jpg

The real surprise of the evening was the Applewood-smoked Cornish Hen with Fava Beans, Artichokes, Toasted Cashews, Wild Rice, Roasted Red Pearl Onions, Sweet Cherry Marmalade, and Fresh "Unpitted" Cherries. The bird itself was surprisingly moist and packed with flavor from the spice rub, with skin that was delightfully crispy. The saltiness of the cashews and the intense, concentrated cherry marmalade also complemented the poultry (even if the marmalade was rather sweet on its own). Not only were the flavors great, but the portion was extremely large, and the price was reasonable for a signature entree ($29). That's actually lower than the cost of my entree at Teppan Edo lunch, which wasn't nearly as good.

DSC_0169_zpse26b3933.jpg

Somehow, we saved room for dessert - here's the menu:

IMG_9508_zps8915f250.jpg

Although the cobbler is a favorite of mine, I decided to try something different: the Pistachio Cheesecake with Blackberry Port Sauce, Vanilla Crème Fraîche, and Blackberries. This was a very nice dessert, with the texture being lighter than New York-style cheesecake. The fresh blackberries were also a great touch, pairing well with the cheesecake's cherry-like flavor. My one wish is that there had been more of the Blackberry Port sauce, which was absolutely delicious.

DSC_0184_zps9346455c.jpg

Of course, I was still jealous of the other dessert on the table: the Artist Point Cobbler with Seasonal Berries and House-made Black Raspberry Ice Cream. Warm, almost gooey, and studded with blueberries, the cobbler contrasts perfectly with the cool ice cream and berries on top. This is one of my favorite WDW desserts, and next time I won't stray from it (no matter how tempting the other options are)!

DSC_0177_zps304e1421.jpg

Overall, our meal at Artist Point was exactly what we wanted it to be. The flavors were unique, seasonal, and clearly influenced by the Pacific Northwest, with lots of berries, seafood, and fresh produce to be found throughout our courses. Service was also great, as Bob was friendly and attentive from start to finish, and the atmosphere was tranquil and relaxing as usual. As we exited the lodge and walked back to our car, we definitely felt satisfied with our signature restaurant choice; Artist Point nailed it again for us, and I highly recommend it.

DSC_0193_zps2e1576d6.jpg

aladdin2007

Enjoyed reading the review. The menu however does not impress me, nor do I get why there are so many Asian options. bok choy, rice bowl, cashews,,,and then the lo mein etc. They use to have a much better menu.

DonaldDoleWhip

Original Poster
Enjoyed reading the review. The menu however does not impress me, nor do I get why there are so many Asian options. bok choy, rice bowl, cashews,,,and then the lo mein etc. They use to have a much better menu.
Not sure I'd agree that the menu was better before, and I've been going there at least once a year since 2008. The menu changes seasonally - sometimes we like the changes, and other times we don't. However, there are definitely more creative ingredients on the menu than when I first dined there: quail eggs, yuzu, pork belly, berries/cherries in the savory dishes, etc. While I certainly miss some dishes from AP's past menus, the Cornish hen currently on the menu was miles better than the chicken dishes AP served 4-6 years ago.

As for Asian food, I'd say that's a reflection of the Pacific Northwest influence. The food scene in cities such as Seattle and Vancouver is definitely influenced by Asian populations, so I think it's fitting for AP (much like the rest of the menu focuses on seafood, mushrooms, fresh berries and produce, etc).

I've seen AP go through some pretty negative changes (such as 4 years ago, when they changed the cobbler recipe and ruined it, eventually changing it back). But this menu didn't bother me - I liked how seasonal and creative a lot of it was.

cw1982

Sigh... stuff like this makes me wish I was not such a picky eater lol. That ice cream looks divine but the most appetizing thing to me before that was the cheese platter appetizer haha. Not that it would matter much since I can only do about two ounces of lean proteins at a time... but this thread still makes me wish I was a little braver when it comes to food.

DisneyPrincess5

Glad you enjoyed your experience. We ate here for the first time in October 2013 and I really loved it. DH wasn't so hot on it, only because he got a meal he normally wouldn't choose just to try something different and he wished he hadn't in the end. Maybe I can convince him to return!

DonaldDoleWhip

Original Poster
Sigh... stuff like this makes me wish I was not such a picky eater lol. That ice cream looks divine but the most appetizing thing to me before that was the cheese platter appetizer haha. Not that it would matter much since I can only do about two ounces of lean proteins at a time... but this thread still makes me wish I was a little braver when it comes to food.
I don't think you're alone when it comes to AP's menu - during most of our meals there, it's always been fairly quiet and empty, which means a lot of people probably feel the same way. I definitely think the food is worthwhile, though, and you could always get the cobbler at Territory Lounge next door (it's currently on their menu). :)

Glad you enjoyed your experience. We ate here for the first time in October 2013 and I really loved it. DH wasn't so hot on it, only because he got a meal he normally wouldn't choose just to try something different and he wished he hadn't in the end. Maybe I can convince him to return!
AP definitely seems to be hit-or-miss for a lot of people, but aside from our meals around 2009-2010 (when the menu and even the cobbler was altered), it's almost always been a favorite of ours. Good luck in convincing DH to return. ;)

Wow that ahi tuna looks good! But you're right about the cobbler...that thing is the perfect dessert. Love it!

Great pics!
Thank you! The tuna was definitely a highlight of the meal for me, and the cobbler would've been if I'd gotten it for myself. :)

$49 for the salmon dish...way overpriced for what you get though...
The price of the salmon dish always jumps when Copper River salmon is added to the menu. 3 years ago, we dined there at the exact same time of year, and the salmon dish was $48. The following March, it was $35. The price seems to fluctuate depending on where the salmon is sourced from - it's always wild king salmon prepared on a cedar plank, but it normally costs $35-40. Copper River salmon is something special (available for 2-4 weeks of the year), which is why they increase the price like that.

Aside from that salmon dish (which you're right about), we find Artist Point's prices to be fairly reasonable for a signature. Cali Grill, Narcoossee's, Citricos, and Yachtsman are noticeably more expensive (which is fine if you're using DDP credits, but bad news otherwise).

LucyK

Thanks for the review, we're having dinner at Artist Point next trip and I'm really looking forward to the Portobello soup and the fish of the season.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Great review! We were going to eat here in a few days, but the menu changed (and I'm kind of picky). It didn't look as good to me, so we switched the California Grill. We are looking forward to that, but we will someday do Artist's Point. Your review has me slightly regretting the switch though.

Daxiegirl

Love your review. We will be dining there in September. You've definitely convinced me that we made an excellent choice and that it will be worth the trek from AKL for our first dinner of the trip!

DonaldDoleWhip

Original Poster
GREAT review - thank you for this data :). Several years ago, AP hit a low driven by the classic "2 Point cost cut ceiling". Under revised management, it appears that their come back effort is a success :). It's always GREAT to see a Sig BEHAVE like a Sig :).
Agreed - AP has actually been my favorite Disney restaurant since we first tried it in 2008, but we definitely noticed some negative changes with the menu around 2009-2010 (including a complete overhaul of the cobbler, which changed the recipe and eliminated the fresh berries & raspberry ice cream - thank goodness they changed it back!). Ever since, the restaurant has rarely disappointed us, and I appreciate the fact that they update the menu extremely often. It keeps things fresh and seasonal, and the updates seem to be more frequent (and more substantial) than at some of the other signatures.

Great review, some lovely pictures too, i always find it so hard to resist tucking in before taking any!
It's hard to resist, but I enjoy having the pictures to look at when I'm home eating ordinary food. ;)

Thanks for the review, we're having dinner at Artist Point next trip and I'm really looking forward to the Portobello soup and the fish of the season.
I hope you seriously enjoy your meal! The soup is always a great choice, and I don't think I've ever been disappointed with a fish entree at Artist Point.

Great review! We were going to eat here in a few days, but the menu changed (and I'm kind of picky). It didn't look as good to me, so we switched the California Grill. We are looking forward to that, but we will someday do Artist's Point. Your review has me slightly regretting the switch though.
I'm glad to hear you're slightly regretting the decision. ;) In all seriousness, enjoy your meal at Cali Grill, and I hope you can make it to AP eventually.

Love your review. We will be dining there in September. You've definitely convinced me that we made an excellent choice and that it will be worth the trek from AKL for our first dinner of the trip!
I hope you find Artist Point to be worth the trip! If you're coming from MK, I would recommend taking the boat to WL for a relaxing ride, but there's also a bus if you're looking for something speedier. From the other parks, the only option would be a bus, and if you're driving/taking a taxi, then there isn't much of an issue at all. (You may know all of this, but wanted to share just in case!)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Nice review. Artist point never fails to impress me, one of my all time favorites. Their staff is always on top of their game. The chef is on top of creativity. Presentation is excellent. A nice glass of Kung Fu Girl and end of meal pressed coffee a favorite routine for me. The place never disappoints.

DonaldDoleWhip

Original Poster
Nice review. Artist point never fails to impress me, one of my all time favorites. Their staff is always on top of their game. The chef is on top of creativity. Presentation is excellent. A nice glass of Kung Fu Girl and end of meal pressed coffee a favorite routine for me. The place never disappoints.
Agreed - and speaking of creativity, a party of 4 next to us was receiving a special multi-course meal, and the chef came out to present dishes to them multiple times. One of the dishes they received was called "Portland to Portland", and while I don't remember the exact description, it combined Pacific Northwest influences with Maine lobster! It would be pretty cool if it ends up on the menu, and I love how they're always trying new things.

Gabe1

Agreed - and speaking of creativity, a party of 4 next to us was receiving a special multi-course meal, and the chef came out to present dishes to them multiple times. One of the dishes they received was called "Portland to Portland", and while I don't remember the exact description, it combined Pacific Northwest influences with Maine lobster! It would be pretty cool if it ends up on the menu, and I love how they're always trying new things.

It is one of the few restaurants that has not been slapped down by the dining plan. A hidden gem.

Gabe1

It IS a great restaurant - but Gabe1? Every Single Sig HAS been slapped down by the current "Dining Plan" :(. It's to their credit that the head chefs somehow manage to maintain minimum standards :(.

The current "Dining Plan" clips every WDW owned SIG - they simply CAN NOT offer anything on the menu that goes over the 2-point compensation level - if they do? They must eat the loss (translation: actual paying customers will see higher prices in order for the Restaurant to break even). Think of your local Hospital ... same "plan".

One of two things is going to occur to fix this mess...

1) Prixfixe menues with cash add ons (similar to "Chefs de France", "Victoria & Alberts") - no menu clipping, 100% choice.
2) Nothing. The so called Disney owned Sigs will be forced to degrade. Wellll there are always the NON Disney owned restaurants, like Shula's, most of World Showcase, Il Mulino, and offsite... I would be saddened to HAVE to go off site for a good meal - but I'm willing to do it.

AP Chefs and Management are doing a GREAT job in the face of an absolute disaster... I would love to see them succeed, in spite of WDW's efforts to level them to "food shovels".

I've yet to experience any slap down from the dining plan at Artist Point. Always excellent food, wine and desserts along with very good service.

Sans Souci

Thank you for the lovely photos and review. I am feeling guilty that I am a vegetarian and I was salivating over your tuna starter. The dessert menu looked delicious, too. For me, it would have been a toss-up between the gianduja and the pistachio cheesecake. I really want to try this place in the future. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom