Artist Point or California Grill - Which would you choose?

Which one would you choose?

• Artist Point

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • California Grill

Votes: 18 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
A question for the all-knowing internet.

Our yearly anniversary trip usually includes several dining reservations. We're trying somewhere new this time. We've narrowed it down to Artist Point and California Grill (based on @Tuvalu's recent TR :)). If you had to choose one, which would you choose?

Please vote and and tell us why you would choose this one over that one. We're not interested in other places at the moment, just these two.

Things to keep in mind that may determine your decision:
  • We are staying at the Poly.
  • We don't mind traveling to other resorts.
  • We enjoy fireworks, but they're not a must-do.
  • We like to try new foods. (minus seafood - @lostpro9het doesn't care for seafood)
  • We enjoy unique beers/wine.
  • We currently have reservations for Il Mulino and Jiko.
Thanks for you input!

DisneyPrincess5

Wow what a choice to be making! Well both are just amazing, but based on our experiences at both, I'd choose Cali Grill. The food is just incomparable, if you're into drinks that's the place to be, the views are to die for, and great service.
Happy choosing!

Schneewittchen

I've never been to California Grill, but Artist Point is probably my favorite restaurant at WDW. One caveat, I'm in love with the Pacific Northwest, I spend 3 weeks there every other summer. I'll be there in about a month - gobbling seafood, berries and local cheese. Artist Point is all about that style of food.

Anyway, you can take the monorail to MK and then hop on a boat to Wilderness Lodge. Traveling by boat around MK resorts is just lovely. I just love the decor at Wilderness Lodge, it takes me to the great lodges of the Northwest - Paradise Inn, Timberline Lodge, Lake Quinault Lodge, Crater Lake Lodge.

For an appetizer, get the charcuterie board. So good. Homemade sausages, cheese, nuts and preserves. Then get the greens salad. It's simple but tasty - greens, nuts, vinagrette. I usually have a seafood entree, but DH raves about the beef and buffalo options. Tender, juicy, meat! And of course, cobbler for dessert. And don't forget to get a bottle of wine. Try something from the Willamette Valley, you won't be disappointed.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
We've had 4 meals at Artist Point. The first two were excellent, the third was fine and the last? The service was terrible and the food was meh.

By contrast we've never had a bad meal/experience at California Grill.

If watching fireworks from your table is unimportant (and the majority of tables at CG don't have a fireworks view anyway) request seating in the Monterey Room. This is a small room in back that overlooks Bay Lake with views of Epcot/DHS. The room is much quieter than the main dining room and far less chaotic. And you can watch fireworks from the south outdoor terrace which is less crowded than the north terrace.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I very much prefer Artist Point. I've eaten at the California Grill three times and I did not enjoy myself. The food and service are excellent but I can't stand the atmosphere, mainly due to the behavior of other guests. Due to the fact that California Grill gets hyped in Disney publications as THE place to watch the fireworks, it's mobbed with poorly behaved children and worse-behaved adults. It's the one place on property where I really agree with the idea of the "Walmartification of WDW," not because of anything Disney does wrong, but because of the way other people don't know how to behave. I'm not in the mood to eat $40 scallops while a sweaty man in a sleeveless shirt and basketball shorts ignores his kids rubbing their faces on the windows and his wife plays Candy Crush on her smashed-screen iPhone.

No, I'm not exaggerating. That's been my experience on three separate trips.

If watching fireworks from your table is unimportant (and the majority of tables at CG don't have a fireworks view anyway) request seating in the Monterey Room. This is a small room in back that overlooks Bay Lake with views of Epcot/DHS. The room is much quieter than the main dining room and far less chaotic. And you can watch fireworks from the south outdoor terrace which is less crowded than the north terrace.
This is great information. I'll look into that if we ever decide to take the plunge again.

Jamie77

We've had 4 meals at Artist Point. The first two were excellent, the third was fine and the last? The service was terrible and the food was meh.

By contrast we've never had a bad meal/experience at California Grill.

I didn't know about this room before you mentioned it. Thanks!

belledream

Would choose Cali Grill over Artist Point not just for the food, but for the entire experience. We enjoyed watching Wishes frim the Observation Deck rather than our table. There's something about the open air that is so freeing after a long day of fun.

Artist Point is very quaint, the cobbler is to die for, and the boat ride to and from WL makes for a nice evening as well, but the food was otherwise not very memorable.

Phonedave

I put CG, but just barely.

I have eaten at both restaruants many, many times.

The food at both is great. Food at GC may be a bit more "different than the norm" if you are looking to try something new. Neither place has anything close to adventerous foods, this is WDW after all.

I agree with @CaptainAmerica about the potential atmosphere at CG, but then you can get that at AP (or anywhere else for that matter).. Even though the GC is in the contemporary, I feel that the AP is a more refined/classy restaruant. CG somtimes feels like eating in your local California Pizza Kitchen.

I gave GC the nod because it is easier to get to (but really, not that much easier) Take the monorail to the Contermporary, or take the monorail to the Contermporary and then a lauch to WL. Not much of a difference and because it's food is a little more unique.

However, if you are into fish (I know lostpro9het is not) AND you are there when the Copper River Salmon is in season, Artist Point is one of the few restaruants on the East Cost that gets a regular supply of this fish.

Hockey89

I very much prefer Artist Point. I've eaten at the California Grill three times and I did not enjoy myself. The food and service are excellent but I can't stand the atmosphere, mainly due to the behavior of other guests. Due to the fact that California Grill gets hyped in Disney publications as THE place to watch the fireworks, it's mobbed with poorly behaved children and worse-behaved adults. It's the one place on property where I really agree with the idea of the "Walmartification of WDW," not because of anything Disney does wrong, but because of the way other people don't know how to behave. I'm not in the mood to eat $40 scallops while a sweaty man in a sleeveless shirt and basketball shorts ignores his kids rubbing their faces on the windows and his wife plays Candy Crush on her smashed-screen iPhone.

No, I'm not exaggerating. That's been my experience on three separate trips.

This is great information. I'll look into that if we ever decide to take the plunge again.
I agree.... I like the food better at CG, but guest behavior the last few times I was there was down right pathetic...

imahistorygeek

Original Poster
I agree with @CaptainAmerica about the potential atmosphere at CG, but then you can get that at AP (or anywhere else for that matter).. Even though the GC is in the contemporary, I feel that the AP is a more refined/classy restaruant. CG somtimes feels like eating in your local California Pizza Kitchen.

However, if you are into fish (I know lostpro9het is not) AND you are there when the Copper River Salmon is in season, Artist Point is one of the few restaruants on the East Cost that gets a regular supply of this fish.

I'm not gonna lie...atmosphere makes a difference.
I'm also intrigued by the Copper River Salmon. What is the season? We will be there in late September.

laben594

We loved the food at California Grill, but had terrible terrible service there. We spent the day at food and wine so we weren't terribly hungry, so we skipped over appetizers and went straight for the main course. I had a glass of wine and my husband had a ginger ale or something like that because his stomach hurt. I guess the waiter wrote us off as a "cheap table" and literally treated us like crap. We sat next to a couple on their honeymoon who were spending quite a bit (as they should, it was their honeymoon) and he treated them like royalty.

Went to Artist point with a similar situation (not that hungry, only one alcoholic beverage ordered) and they treated us like royalty. I highly recommend Artist Point

danyoung56

The California Grill is my favorite restaurant anywhere. With all due respect to those who have had problems with atmosphere, I've been eating there at least once a year for the past 20 years or so and have NEVER had either bad service or experienced unruly guests. The restaurant is a bit louder than an intimate fine dining spot. But the incredible view and terrific food more than make up for this. If you time things right you can go outside on the balcony and watch the nightly MK fireworks (they pipe in the music through excellent speakers).

Artist Point is excellent, too. But given the specs of your dining wishes, the CG is the perfect choice!

aladdin2007

I believe no matter what time you eat at CG, your allowed to come back up for the fireworks that night, so you can eat, leave and come back if your dining time is fairly earlier, you dont have to schedule the reserve close to fireworks time or late. At least that is how it was a couple years ago, are they still doing this or did the policy change?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I believe no matter what time you eat at CG, your allowed to come back up for the fireworks that night, so you can eat, leave and come back if your dining time is fairly earlier, you dont have to schedule the reserve close to fireworks time or late. At least that is how it was a couple years ago, are they still doing this or did the policy change?
You can still do this. :)

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
My and my DW's vote is for CG. I'm up in the PNW quite regularly as our corporate offices are located across the Seattle area (Bellevue, Bothell, Snoqualmnie) and Artist Point just doesn't measure up (with the exception of the wild berry cobbler, that stuff is wonderful!) to the regional cuisine West of the Cascades.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom