Art of Animation Update

melmood2000

Thank you for the Review. We have a trip planned for September I'm going to have to block out some time to visit this resort and check it out.

NADisney

has some pics ,and review of this resort.

http://www./2012/03/opening-dates-a...-animation-resort-wings-at-walt-disney-world/

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
I have a small concern regarding the RFID technology, as the banks and credit card industry are finding out the RFID chip can be scanned with a remote device and all the information on it can be taken and duplicated. Now when the full project is a go what will stop would be thieves form roaming around the resorts and taking your information and letting themselves into your room, or worse charging up your credit card. I am sure Disney has put a lot of thought in to this will be interesting to see what security measures they have as the bank and credit card industry are struggling to find one.

Your actual information is not stored on the RFID chip. It's merely a random number that is tied to your resort account in their internal database only. Someone who "scans" your KttW card will be getting a random number. They'd have to ALSO know which room was yours to be able to use it to get into your room. And they'd have to assign that number to another KttW card's RFID chip to be able to swipe it in the World and charge things to your card. This system is far more secure than the credit card you have in your wallet, which actually has your card's full # and expiration date built into the mag stripe.

Sounds incredibly awesome, but at nearly $300/night in the "low" season, this is definitely not a "value" resort. An upcharge is understandable, but approx. $200 more than next door at Pop? They're charging guests for 2 rooms. It's close to a $60 increase from the same style room at Music.

One can only hope that after the "new" wears off, rates will come down (slightly). Honestly, what they charge for 98% of the resorts is way overinflated compared to what you actually get--aside from atmosphere and location.

I agree, it's not actually a value resort, by definition...only by assignment. But a suite here is worth far more than a suite at Music, plus you have to factor in the resort amenities that you have access to. It's not a bargain, but it will be for families of 6 or 6+1 - especially when it comes to peace of mind by having the entire family behind one locked door.

And I don't predict the newness wearing off. These are going to be hugely popular, as they fill a HUGE need.

The traditional value resort rooms in The Little Mermaid section have traditional value resort prices (I seem to remember them costing $5 more/night than the other values, which seems reasonable given the facilities.

Yes.

Very cool news about the RFID locks-I was surprised they didn't install those at the Yacht and Beach Club last month when they redid all the locks.

Going to be interesting to see how this resort does-it seems like it's trying to split the difference between a value and a moderate.

It is quite the hybrid...mixing features from all 4 resort categories. It has the layout and basic amenities of a value. It has more features at it's pool (minus a slide), and slightly enhanced theming, like a Moderate. It has interior corridors (except Mermaid) like Deluxes. And the master bath has a walk-in glass shower, like Villas. So, again, having seen them in person, and knowing Disney's current resort pricing structure, the rack rate for these rooms is "appropriate".

I agree that resort prices are high, but you have to remember that Disney also figures in (hides) bus, boat and monorail transportation into the price of a room. I'm assuming that even some of the extra magic hours costs are built in. The $'s to fund these "perks" has to come from somewhere. Nothing in this world is ever free, with maybe the only exception being love!

Yes. Lots of costs built into a resort hotel rate, including general operating costs of 47 sq miles of property.

Did you happen to notice if the drink machines were RFID too, or were they regular?

The soda fountains were not installed as of the time of my tour. There weren't tables in the dining area yet either. They're still working on the finishing touches.

GymLeaderPhil

Even if they don't reopen the bridge the outer buildings for the resorts will still meet. In order to mitigate pool hopping or overcrowding of the new food and beverage I'd suggest they bite the bullet and plus up Pop's offerings.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Or, much easier, use pool wristbands or add a card-access gate around the pool. No need to increase Pop's amenities.

GymLeaderPhil

Or, much easier, use pool wristbands or add a card-access gate around the pool. No need to increase Pop's amenities.
This would also block off access to the pool bar, but I doubt they would be able to limit food court traffic. I would sure hate to be the lifeguards who have to be pool bouncers. "Sorry pool entry is only for those staying at Art of Animation. Why don't you Cupid Shuffle back over to your exciting feature pool."

dreamscometrue

Sorry for this blank post. I have been trying to post a link, but it keeps coming up blank. Perhaps that site has been banned from WDWMagic.

bhg469

has some pics ,and review of this resort.

http://www./2012/03/opening-dates-a...-animation-resort-wings-at-walt-disney-world/

is the review missing or is it just cut really short? I only see 2 pics and a link for more and the link points to the archive.

DisneyRunner

Am I missing something as far as amenities? I don't have a view, a spa, a health club, a pool slide or a TS dining option. Also, I'm not on the monorail loop. The only amenities I would be able to use as an outsider would be the pool, food court and gift shop. I wouldn't have access to the glass shower, queen bed, a kitchen table that turns into a bed (how about crumbs in the bed) or enclosed hallways. I wouldn't pool hop. Looking at inside the magic's pictures, a fence around that pool would be enormous and aesthetically unappealing. I like the wristband idea and a sign stating "use for AoA guest only". Disney doesn't limit public access at any of it's other resorts.:shrug: Disney is in business to make money, so allowing people to roam around will bring in money. Money will be spent at the food court, at the gift shop and future stays at the resort. Now as far as the bridge goes, my family likes to walk out there and look at the turtles. I would hate to see that blocked off, again unattractive.

got2lovedisney

In the Parks
No
If I stay at POP and decide to cross the bridge and have lunch at AoA, my foodcourt, their foodcourt, it shouldn't matter to Disney where I eat as long as I'm spending money. How would they enforce it? Put an ugly gate in the middle of the bridge? I can just drive my car over, tell the guard I'm going in to eat and I get let in. Or hop the AoA bus from one of the parks. Closing the bridge makes no sense.

PS You're paying double the price of a standard room because it IS 2 rooms...just reconfigured with a kitchenette, that's what the upcharge is for...the kitchenette. Don't want to pay for the upcharge? Get 2 standard rooms.

Spike-in-Berlin

Well, we are in deep trouble now. The earlier opening schedule of the Little Mermaid standard rooms actually could change our entire plans for our 2012 WDW-vacation. We were interested in staying there from the day we read about the AoA the first time but with the opening of the standard rooms scheduled for December it was too late because our AP expire on September, 28th.
But if they open already on September, 15th, we could stay there for nearly two weeks if we are staying at the deluxe resort first and not as normal second.

AylaRanzz

I'm even more excited now about staying there next year. Wish next Oct wasn't so far away. At least I'll get to see it from afar when I go next April and stay at Pop.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom