Art of Animation questions

smk

I am planning a trip for this October/November. In the past we have stayed at All Star Sports but no longer wish to stay there, for various reasons, but mostly because our last trip there in October 2012 was just plain awful. So, I have been reading reviews on the AoA, Little Mermaid section (we have no need for a suite) and I want to pull the trigger and book but the reviews are just so so. A lot of people complaining about how long the walk is to the food court, buses running hours late on returning back the resort after park closings, wifi issues, cell phones not working in the rooms, loud food court, long lines. I don't want to believe them but every one I read had mention of one or more of those issues! Who can tell me anything about the resort, first hand? While we are not crippled, we are getting older and don't want to walk ten minutes for a coffee refill, or stand in line 90 minutes after a long day at a park. Help me decide, please!

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
I am planning a trip for this October/November. In the past we have stayed at All Star Sports but no longer wish to stay there, for various reasons, but mostly because our last trip there in October 2012 was just plain awful. So, I have been reading reviews on the AoA, Little Mermaid section (we have no need for a suite) and I want to pull the trigger and book but the reviews are just so so. A lot of people complaining about how long the walk is to the food court, buses running hours late on returning back the resort after park closings, wifi issues, cell phones not working in the rooms, loud food court, long lines. I don't want to believe them but every one I read had mention of one or more of those issues! Who can tell me anything about the resort, first hand? While we are not crippled, we are getting older and don't want to walk ten minutes for a coffee refill, or stand in line 90 minutes after a long day at a park. Help me decide, please!

Hey there,

Click on my trip report for Valentine's Day (were stayed there for a night a week ad a half ago) and you will see pics from the AOA rooms, Little Mermaid.

The walk is long - but its not "that" long. In the middle is Finding Nemo and the Art of Animation Hall. Looking at the Big Blue Pool, there is Cars Land to the right, and Lion King to the left. And beyond Lion King is Little Mermaid. Its not "that" bad. We walked it several times. That being said, its not convenient like you will just hop over there to fill your mug. I can see that would be off putting. But its not that bad.

Cars Land has its own pool with cabana's, and of course the Big Blue Pool, but Little Mermaid had a pool which is nice. So you don't always have to go to the main pool if you don't want.

I can't speak to buses b/c we didn't use the buses. But I can say in September, when my DH and I stayed at PORS, the lines were really long at the bus stops leaving from MK for AOA. That being said, so were the lines for PORS and POFQ. It was a nightmare. So you run into bus issues every where.

I liked the suite layouts but understand you don't want to spend the added cost if you don't have to. But I did like that it was inside rooms (rooms that didn't open to the outside world) and that they are that much closer to the Hall. If I had a family, I would stay in Finding Nemo if I could.

The food court is loud - no getting around that. But I have stayed at POP! and it was just as loud there. I just noticed that the food courts for Value's are always on the loud side. A nice thing, they have a Pasta Bar at AOA like at PORS! :) YUM! The lines were long for pasta bar and in the morning some lines were longer then others but nothing undoable. We got through a line for dinner for pasta in about 15 to 20 mins. And breakfast in about 10 to 15.

We had no cell phone or wifi issues while we were there and as I said, we were in the Little Mermaid section. That was totally fine. We overlooked the pool so I can't speak to rooms on the opposite side. I would room request over looking the pool near the elevator and stair ways. We were on the 4th floor and I say elevator so its easier for you to get your luggage up and things from your car if you using that.

I will say though, we never had an elevator issue until the day we were leaving. It was ridiculous! It stopped on every floor and we were SMASHED in the elevator bc people staying there, they just kept smashing into the elevator. I was like, get the next one!! We literally were sardines.

My DH and I are lucky enough to be able to stay at Deluxe resorts most of the time. But there will come a time when we can not. We said that we would stay at AOA again, way over Pop or any other value.

I hope this helps you!!!! :)

Upvote 0

smk

Original Poster
Hey there,

Click on my trip report for Valentine's Day (were stayed there for a night a week ad a half ago) and you will see pics from the AOA rooms, Little Mermaid.

The walk is long - but its not "that" long. In the middle is Finding Nemo and the Art of Animation Hall. Looking at the Big Blue Pool, there is Cars Land to the right, and Lion King to the left. And beyond Lion King is Little Mermaid. Its not "that" bad. We walked it several times. That being said, its not convenient like you will just hop over there to fill your mug. I can see that would be off putting. But its not that bad.

Cars Land has its own pool with cabana's, and of course the Big Blue Pool, but Little Mermaid had a pool which is nice. So you don't always have to go to the main pool if you don't want.

I can't speak to buses b/c we didn't use the buses. But I can say in September, when my DH and I stayed at PORS, the lines were really long at the bus stops leaving from MK for AOA. That being said, so were the lines for PORS and POFQ. It was a nightmare. So you run into bus issues every where.

I liked the suite layouts but understand you don't want to spend the added cost if you don't have to. But I did like that it was inside rooms (rooms that didn't open to the outside world) and that they are that much closer to the Hall. If I had a family, I would stay in Finding Nemo if I could.

The food court is loud - no getting around that. But I have stayed at POP! and it was just as loud there. I just noticed that the food courts for Value's are always on the loud side. A nice thing, they have a Pasta Bar at AOA like at PORS! :) YUM! The lines were long for pasta bar and in the morning some lines were longer then others but nothing undoable. We got through a line for dinner for pasta in about 15 to 20 mins. And breakfast in about 10 to 15.

We had no cell phone or wifi issues while we were there and as I said, we were in the Little Mermaid section. That was totally fine. We overlooked the pool so I can't speak to rooms on the opposite side. I would room request over looking the pool near the elevator and stair ways. We were on the 4th floor and I say elevator so its easier for you to get your luggage up and things from your car if you using that.

I will say though, we never had an elevator issue until the day we were leaving. It was ridiculous! It stopped on every floor and we were SMASHED in the elevator bc people staying there, they just kept smashing into the elevator. I was like, get the next one!! We literally were sardines.

My DH and I are lucky enough to be able to stay at Deluxe resorts most of the time. But there will come a time when we can not. We said that we would stay at AOA again, way over Pop or any other value.

I hope this helps you!!!! :)

Upvote 0

smk

Original Poster
We could do a suite, I guess, IF our grandbaby and his parents came with us. He will be one in Novemeber. Our daughter and son in law just feel it might be too early to take him. I can talk all I want but it is their decision, I am not sure I can change their minds. If he doens't come and it is just the two of us then a suite would just be a waste of money. Truthfully, I have been trying to talk my DH into PORS or POFQ. We have never stayed at a moderate, only FW, the POLY, Contemporary and the values. Sadly, FW is our favorite but they have priced us right out of their league unless I get some super fantastic pin code in the near future. I am just resort shopping now, open for suggestions but leaning towards giving AoA a try.

Upvote 0

melmood2000

How far or close are the Cars rooms?
http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/dis...2012-disney’s-art-of-animation-resort-map.htm The cars, Nemo and Lion king sections are all situated in a horseshoe like shape around the main building. I didn't see any of the inside rooms but the outside really feels like you are in radiator springs. The pool has cabanas shaped like road cones, they have most of the characters outside on the grounds scaled to life size cars it really is fun.

Upvote 0

HatboxGhost

http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/dis...2012-disney’s-art-of-animation-resort-map.htm The cars, Nemo and Lion king sections are all situated in a horseshoe like shape around the main building. I didn't see any of the inside rooms but the outside really feels like you are in radiator springs. The pool has cabanas shaped like road cones, they have most of the characters outside on the grounds scaled to life size cars it really is fun.
Thank you for the link to the AOA map as it will really come in handy when my wife and I go.

Upvote 0

ratherbeinwdw

Here's a response from someone else who has problems with walking. If you walk up the center of the resort from Mermaid to the lobby going by the pool, past Lion King, and the end of Nemo Suites the walk isn't bad. It's much, much closer from Cars to the lobby. But, further to your car. If you walk around the sidewalk all the way to the bus stop from Mermaid, it is long for anyone with problems. It was nothing to my 17 year-old. Ask for a room closest to Lion King in the front section of Mermaid. We were in the very last section in the very last room. This was great for unloading the car, however. We parked almost at out door. We drove to all the parks except MK. After doing that twice, we even drove to MK. The waits were no longer than PORS except at closing time. That wait was exceptionally long in comparison to other resorts we've stayed at. One thing is that there were so many children and strollers to load which slowed things down a bit. We were there when they opened the Mermaid section in September. We had no problem in the food court. We like to eat earlier than most, so that may be why. We had good phone reception in Mermaid. I don't know about Cars until we get there in April.
I suggest you drive to Epcot as the walk from the bus is a little long. It's not bad, just a little long to/from AoA's stop. Animal Kingdom is no problem with distance either bus or driving, but the bus stops at one of the water parks before it takes you to AoA. My longest wait to catch a bus was at AK. There were only three of us waiting, but it took a long time. All the other resort buses came and went twice while we were waiting. We drove to the park, but I became ill and had to leave, so I rode the bus and left the car for the family. AK is the easiest park to take a car to. Even if you decide to walk instead of taking the tram, it's a fairly short walk.

Upvote 0

smk

Original Poster
I walk a ton at work, my DH is retired and does not walk hardly at all unless he takes the dog around the block. :( So, generally before we go we ramp up his walking so he gets used to it. Last year we had problems because he had an allegic reactions to something, had to start predisone and we NEVER thought about how it would affect his being out in the sun so his feet got burnt at the pool and swelled. He put sunscrren all over, just not the tops of his feet, bad mistake. I almost rented a wheel chair it was that bad. So hopefully this year we will be better prepared with walking, not have to go on predisone AND put on a ton of suncreen!

Thanks for all the great advice, I truly appreciate it!

Upvote 0

ratherbeinwdw

I walk a ton at work, my DH is retired and does not walk hardly at all unless he takes the dog around the block. :( So, generally before we go we ramp up his walking so he gets used to it. Last year we had problems because he had an allegic reactions to something, had to start predisone and we NEVER thought about how it would affect his being out in the sun so his feet got burnt at the pool and swelled. He put sunscrren all over, just not the tops of his feet, bad mistake. I almost rented a wheel chair it was that bad. So hopefully this year we will be better prepared with walking, not have to go on predisone AND put on a ton of suncreen!

Thanks for all the great advice, I truly appreciate it!
That happened to my son one year in Panama City Beach. It was so bad, we took him to an emergency clinic and ended up having to come home. He had put the block everywhere, but his beach shoes had rubbed it off the top of his feet by the time he went into the ocean and spent a while sitting on a float. His feet actually turned purple. It was very scary.

Upvote 0

derekburgan

I know I've read it all on Disney message boards, but really can't believe non-handicapped people think the Little Mermaid wing is "far" from anything and that Pop Century is better than AoA in any area other than price. I like Pop Century and am staying at both AoA and Pop during different stays in April, but nothing about that hotel is better than a room at Mermaid. The theming in the room is one poster (at least in my room) whereas the Mermaid room was completely decked out from top to bottom (even the shower). I'd consider the quality of the AoA food court to be better than the Deluxe resorts whereas the Pop one is of the "what did you think you'd get" variety. Didn't hate it, but would only eat there if I had no other options.

And as for the walk from Mermaid to the food court, I just can't believe people who go to theme parks think that is any distance at all to travel. Someone explained it's what, a quarter mile, and most of that is amazingly themed to either Mermaid or Lion King. What else could you ask for, a moving walkway? :)

Upvote 0

smk

Original Poster
Yep, purple on top. We went straight to our doctor when we got back and he ordered him off his feet for a few days. It got worse the day before we left to come home so he rode in the back seat of the car with his feet up the whole way back. We bought aloe and used wet, cold compresses. Last time we make that mistake. I think that is part of what has clouded my memory of that trip, Sports was not the same resort as it has been for us in years past, but the sunburn really put a damper on it all.

Upvote 0

popcenturylover

We stayed in the little mermaid section in sept. I have said on a few posts about it being a long walk. As others have said it isn't much different then some of the other resorts. However I was used to staying in preferred rooms at the value resorts so close to everything, compared to those rooms the little mermaid section is a bit out there. The rooms are amazing I loved the room decor the oversized characters are so cute and well done. You really feel like you are under the sea and a part of the movie. Would I stay in this section again Yes if my daughter was traveling with me.
We feel the same way about the closeness! We usually pay for a preferred room. It's a bit of a walk for a couple of cups of coffee or if you have a little one returning from the parks after a long day! We did enjoy the theming & the room decor. The food court is great! We had issues with the RFID locks but, the situation was fixed as soon as they could. The buses weren't as efficient as POP's but, you could always get into the POP line & walk back to AOA if you had to wait too long. Cell phone coverage was spotty but, we had the same issue at POP. Anyway, the overall stay was good & we'll probably be back especially, if we have the whole fam & can stay in a suite!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom