Votes: 8 4.1%
  • I have never been to Disneyland but plan on it

Votes: 38 19.3%
  • I have been to Disneyland

Votes: 89 45.2%

• Total voters

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
A day at Universal is fine... if I got one for free I would take it and enjoy myself. The problem is that it's priced like Disney for nowhere near Disney quality. I love some of the local amusement parks near home, but they're $30 a day and I can drive and camp nearby for $40 a night.

Okay fair enough. Yes it does surprise me that Universal is priced the same, however other than Epcot and Magic Kingdom I think a day there is better than any other WDW park.

Why would you be loyal to a company that isn't loyal to you. Go to both.

Exactly...........but you would be surprised. I don't think the reason is being "loyal" to the company so much as not wanting to try new things and thinking you have seen it all.

If Epcot broke off as an independent park Disney can kiss my rear, that’s all I have to say.

That harsh, but honest I suppose. Nothing else in all of WDW interests you outside of Epcot?

Piebald

Been to WDW a million times, DL once and TDR once. While I love the parks, TDR kind of ruined the rest for me. It was like enjoying beef jerky all your life then eating a filet mignon with lobster tail one day. I'll still eat the jerky, but that filet and lobster was amazing.

Paper straw fan

There are reasons to visit all the places on the list, and more-

Universal is tons of fun and can feel somehow like an actual vacation sometimes w how much u can relax and enjoy, and Disney will have to knock Star Wars out of the park to have any area to compare with Harry Potter.

Busch Gardens probably has the best thrill rides in the state, some good eats, and their food & wine and Xmas special areas are nice, and their music shows have caught up w the other FL parks. I’ve heard the one in VA is even nicer

Sea World has gotten to be somewhat of a bargain after all the Blackfish backlash

I’d still like to visit Knotts Berry and Dollywood

Six Flags...was better before Dan Snyder tried to ruin them.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Okay fair enough. Yes it does surprise me that Universal is priced the same, however other than Epcot and Magic Kingdom I think a day there is better than any other WDW park.

I like the Magic Kingdom at night but not enough for the price. Epcot’s a place I couldn’t live without.

Exactly...........but you would be surprised. I don't think the reason is being "loyal" to the company so much as not wanting to try new things and thinking you have seen it all.

That harsh, but honest I suppose. Nothing else in all of WDW interests you outside of Epcot?

World_Showcase_Lover007

I have many interests in my life and like to vacation in various places. I love going to the beach just as much as going to WDW.

But good god, when I’m in the Orlando area, I could not imagine going anywhere other than Disney. To me it would just be time I could be at Disney if I went anywhere else. No Universal, no Medieval Times, no anything else. In fact I stopped listening to a particular “WDW” podcast bc they starting talking too much about non-Disney stuff.

Maybe I’ll broaden my horizons one day, but I’m not there yet.

SteveBrickNJ

My husband and I actually prefer Universal now, although our sons (now grown) are split, lol. One prefers Disney and won't even consider Universal, while the other likes Disney, but prefers Universal. We used to be strictly WDW fans, and the boys grew up going to Disney every year to every other year. However, I've gotten to the point where I just prefer a more laid back vacation. I used to be much more of a planner when we went, but the planning has gotten excessive, at least for me. I really really want to go to Disneyland though.
Yes. I agree that the planning for Disney World is more than it used to be. Getting ready for Universal Studios is less work.

drod1985

During my childhood we were 70/30 in favor of Universal.

But now I haven’t been back to Universal Studios since they closed the BTTF ride. The only exception in about 12-13 years was a free pass to Islands of Adventure.

So I’ve been to others, but my family and I have been firmly in the WDW camp since 2007.

Tony the Tigger

I picked number 3, but WDW is by far my primary. In two separate years, maybe 6 to 10 years ago, we got Sea World AP’s, which were inexpensive.

I’ve been to Universal, but not since about 15 years ago, except a trip to the water park one day last year.

I’d like to see Harry Potter, and looked into it, but couldn’t justify 2-day pricing. We decided to wait and do AP’s on an off-Disney year down the road.

No multiple AP’s at the same time lol.

a goofy username

I voted for "I go to Universal, SeaWorld etc. as well as WDW" but I actively avoid SeaWorld for the usual reasons someone would want to. I have been to Universal and loved it but my heart is fully in WDW. I even take my loyalty and fervor to the strange degree of, like, not wearing Universal shirts in WDW -- I will wear Disney shirts in Universal, that's fine, no problem, but to wear a Universal shirt in WDW? It's a form of sacrilege to me. My friends think I'm weird for this but I don't care

Damon7777

Is hard to be loyal to WDW when its direct competitor does something way, way, WAY better: AA's

Universal has the 4 best animatronics.

T Rex
Witch doctor
Sorting hat
Goblins

There is nothing at WDW as excellent as those 4. An animated Yeti would certainly be as good or better, but nothing else.

SirWillow

I've been to over 80 theme/ amusement parks, including some small ones, and counting. I've found something to enjoy in every park I've been to. I love Disney- been to all of the US parks and the Paris ones. I love Universal. And Busch. And Sea World. And Legoland, and... well, you get the picture.

Honestly, I feel bad for those that limit themselves and don't visit other parks. I understand having favorites and visiting certain ones more than others. Shoot, I make videos based around that. But you will miss so many other incredible experiences, rides, attractions, shows and so much more if you don't venture out of your comfort zone and go exploring and seeing other things.

donaldtoo

My first visit to a Disney Park was Disneyland in 1968, with subsequent visits in 1970, 1971, 1987, and 2010.
I remember riding now extinct attractions like Mine Train Through Nature’s Wonderland and Adventure Thru Inner Space. I also remember riding PotC, HM, and Star Tours shortly after they all opened.
First trip to WDW was in 1988 for our honeymoon, with subsequent family trips in 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008 (just DWifey and myself for our 20th wedding anniversary on that one), 2012, 2013, and 2016. I was also a CM at our local mall Disney Store (now extinct, sad to say, as it was one of the original “pink and green” stores) during our 2012 and 2013 trips, so I got a 60% discount on the resort (AoA in 2012, and ASMusic in 2013), and a 50% discount on the DDP for both trips. Plus, I got a 20% discount on merch in 2012, and since I had worked there more than 3 years by the time our 2013 trip rolled around, my CM merch discount was 35% for that trip.
Have never been to Universal or SeaWorld in Orlando, but, we’ve been to SeaWorld San Antonio just down the road many times when our kiddos were younger.
We now have a soon-to-be 6-month-old granddaughter, and we were originally planning an October family WDW trip for her first birthday. But, we have also discovered cruising, and when the lovely lady planners in my life priced it all out, another cruise won again hands down...and not DCL cruises, they have been 3x+ what we have payed for our 2 excellent Carnival cruises for a week for similar accommodations.
We took our first cruise in December of 2017, and the second in July of 2018, and we have never had more relaxing, beautiful vacations.
If you’ve never experienced an aft stateroom veranda view, in the middle of the night ocean air, cruising through the Caribbean, while sipping on a brew... :happy:
Myself, my DWifey, and our (now adult) 3 kiddos have all been Disney fans since day one, but, there is a whole other world out there, and we’ll be happy to wait to spend the kind of jack it takes these days at WDW ‘til our granddaughter is old enough to remember some of it.
And, when we finally go again, it will be grand, as always...!!!!! :happy:

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Your poll needs an option for "I have been to Universal, but have no desire to ever return."

It is mentally noted................

So what did it, or didn't do it, for Universal that made you not want to go back?

I have many interests in my life and like to vacation in various places. I love going to the beach just as much as going to WDW.

But good god, when I’m in the Orlando area, I could not imagine going anywhere other than Disney. To me it would just be time I could be at Disney if I went anywhere else. No Universal, no Medieval Times, no anything else. In fact I stopped listening to a particular “WDW” podcast bc they starting talking too much about non-Disney stuff.

Maybe I’ll broaden my horizons one day, but I’m not there yet.

Oh yeah, for sure. Orlando is a giant playground just waiting for you to see. If they took WDW completely out of Orlando and left the things that are still there it would still be a worthwhile place to visit (I do realize the irony that Orlando became a tourist trap because of WDW though). I did sort of get a kick out of the whole "I'm not there yet" comment. I think sometimes people feel like they would be cheating (is that the word?) on Disney. I will say it is worthwhile to visit Universal even though I am a WDW fan first and foremost. But we are all on here. Yet 61% of people said they do the other things like Universal or Sea World. 45% said they have been to Disneyland. I say for sure "broaden your horizons" when it comes to this. I don't think you'll regret it. Universal is still a world class park.

Daddyoh

We are DISNEY FANS through and through ! Gone to Disneyland when it was just a GIANT parking lot in the 70's. As WDW Vacation Club Members we have been to Orlando countless times and have revisited Disneyland as well. Haven't been able to shake being a "Mouseketeer" since the 50's, now in my 60's I don't know what the Parks do to me but I am always transported back to my childhood and can escape the worries of today.

EthylCooper

If I come to Florida and do only one thing, it's Halloween Horror Nights. I would have called myself a WDW loyalist 15 years ago, when guest experience was an obvious priority for parks management. Now I'm just as likely to use my vacation days for places outside of Orlando. I've gotten Six Flags season passes for the past two years, and those have been surprisingly great in the whole joy-to-dollar ratio.

OG Runner

Sorry, you do not have a classification for me. I have gone to WDW about 10 times. I have also gone and enjoyed Universal in Orlando.
I have never been to Disneyland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom