Are those really Nile crocodiles on the Kilimanjaro Safari?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Original Poster
This has been bugging me on my last few trips to AK. On the first bridge you go over on the Kilimanjaro safari the safari guide tells everyone that those are Nile crocodiles below us. Now I am not a reptile expert but the “crocodiles” in that part of the attraction sure look like American alligators to be. Now I have been going on the safari since the resort guest preview of AK and I always remember their being actual crocs is that part of the attraction. It is only recently that is seems like there has been a change. So am I just crazy :p or has anyone noticed this discrepancy as well?

Night_Aaron

When I read the title of this post I roled my eyes thinking you were going to ask if they were animatronic. Thank you for not letting me down. I rode the Safari once and a father told his kids that the hippos weren't real. He didn't tell them this to keep them from getting scared because the kids were old enough not to be bothered by real hippos but he honestly thought the hippos that were walking and swimming around were fake (amazing what Disney can do with their animatronics nowadays). I usually let the stupidity of the guests go but in this case I had to turn around and tell him that all the animals on the Safari were real (with the exception of Little Red). I don't mind someone being stupid but don't pass it to your children.

nicholas

I have a safari related question while we're on the subject....

In the area of the safari where there are the columns made out of termite somethin or other....or something like that....I noticed that the trees were wrapped with what looked like chicken wire or something similar. What's the reason for that. Erik? Anyone?

Woody13

nicholas said:

In the area of the safari where there are the columns made out of termite somethin or other....or something like that....I noticed that the trees were wrapped with what looked like chicken wire or something similar. What's the reason for that. Erik? Anyone?

The Thomson's Gazelle's (i.e. "tommies") eat the bark off those trees. The chicken wire prevents this activity.

mrtoad

nicholas said:

In New York there is a petty zoo called the Catskill (Spelling?) Game Farm and if you go in the deer area they are wrapped as well. The male dear rub their new antlers on the trees to take the fuzzy flesh off :hurl: (quite nasty) and it wrecks the bark on the trees so they add the wire to prevent that.

TheOneVader

When we were on Kilimanjaro Safaris one time, we were sitting behind thwe driver. When he mentioned the eggs, my mom said "Suuure, then why haven't they hatched within the 5 years they've been there?" After the ride was over, he told us that they are in fact real eggs... But filled with concrete.

Lauriebar

tylers5592 said:
i mean little red

Little Red is the baby elephant that the "poachers" in the attractions' storyline are stealing from his mother "Big Red". You see him at the end of the ride in the back of a covered truck bed.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
10 min. to wdw said:
How about the bayobob (sp?) tree's that are suppose to have leaves on them once a year? I've never seem them with leaves once.

Yes, many of those trees were "grown" on the same farm as the Tree of Life. Termite mounds have been helped as well. Likewise many of the treadmarks in the mud are rather permanent.

*although, with that said, there are live ones in the park, and they do go without leaves for fairly long periods*

tylers5592 i mean little red

tylers5592 who is big red

Big Red and Little Red are the mother/son elephants discussed in the poacher radio transmissions. You will see Little Red's trunk in the truck just before the game wardens come to pick him up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom