Are the parks getting dirtier?

Alexis

Maybe it's just the amount of people within the parks is higher than usual.

Everytime I visit WDW it is always very clean. Usually see the cleaning crew sweeping up wrappers, or anything else people drop on the streets/floors.

jensenrick

We'll be going to WDW for the first time in almost 2 years - I wonder if I'll notice a difference in cleanliness.
If so, I'll make a note here.

Minnesota disney fan

I hate to start a negative thread, but I've noticed lately that the parks have been dirtier lately, especially MK. We moved down to Central Florida in 2008, and we've been going to the parks at least a couple times every month since then. (We started going when I was about 5 years old in 1984). Anyway, up until this last few months, the parks were always impeccably clean.

We were at the parks several times last week because family was in town, and all of us noticed that the parks were more dirty as a whole than we'd every seen them before. I'm not just talking about the normal issues of trash on the ground after the parades or fireworks (which used to be quickly cleaned up by an army of CM's after each event). I'm talking about trash just lying around the parks in several places and not being cleaned up very well at all. We were in the new Peter Pan Queue, and it was disgusting how much trash was on the ground. I know that area is usually crowded, making trash pickup difficult, but while we were waiting, a CM did come through with a broom and dust pan. However, she only swept up about half of the trash on the ground before she gave up and left. It was bizarre.

We also noticed several times in Tomorrowland where there was a lot of trash lying around by the TTA and Astro Orbiter Queue Areas. I actually wanted to stop at Guest Services and let them know that we've noticed that this has been getting worse lately. However, the line was long, and we were all pretty tired by the time we left. Next time I go by myself though, I'll have to stop in and make a comment. This used to be an area where Disney excelled far above other parks. They need to get back to this. I hope they haven't cut their custodial budget with these record crowds at the parks.

We noticed this too while at WDW last November. We were in the queue for Haunted Mansion, and there were a lot of paper trash on the floors, ie, Kleenexes, food wrappers, you have it! The bored looking CM's just looked at all this mess and ignored it. It was so bad you had to step over the stuff. I can understand a few papers on the floor in the queue, but this was way beyond that.
What did I do? I was so disgusted that I wrote WDW when we got home. Had a few other complaints too, not related to cleanliness. Someone called me to ask about this and apologized for it. She also said it would be taken care of. She also discussed my other legit complaints. She gave us front of the line passes for our next visit and free tickets with park hoppers. That being said, I did not write to them to receive anything at all, and was surprised. I just wanted someone to know how disappointing and upsetting this all was.
So, I would say to you, write or call WDW with your concerns. The more people who let them know, I feel they will be forced to do something about it.

CaptainJackNO

Yep.

One of my biggest pet peeves at WDW is walking through a queue and seeing trash everywhere. Custodial mostly only enters the queues during the day to empty trash bins. That attraction's CM's are supposed to be responsible for cleaning the queue. The problem is, cleaning tasks are only assigned if the attraction is over-staffed and they are only 15 minutes long before that CM has to get a new assignment. Many CM's choose to just sit in the break room instead.

Why not have the castmember at the FP/SB line entrance require that all drinks, food, etc be thrown away prior to entering the queue?

Easier than walking the line to clean and keeps the attractions clean.

As far as the parks being so busy and them usually being dirtier at this time, we always went to WDW during the summer when I was a kid, and it was NEVER dirty. Too crowded, low standards, and understaffing by management. I hate to beat a dead horse, but crowd size would not have been an excuse for Walt. He always said, "Keep the place current, Keep the place as clean as you can keep it, keep it friendly, and I think they're convinced the investors were wrong, quality wins out, amd yes I believe the company will keep going, well, as you said, after Disney."

Tom Morrow, post: 6821493, member: 947"]Yep.

One of my biggest pet peeves at WDW is walking through a queue and seeing trash everywhere. Custodial mostly only enters the queues during the day to empty trash bins. That attraction's CM's are supposed to be responsible for cleaning the queue. The problem is, cleaning tasks are only assigned if the attraction is over-staffed and they are only 15 minutes long before that CM has to get a new assignment. Many CM's choose to just sit in the break room instead.[/QUOTE]
Why wont

Tom Morrow

Why not have the castmember at the FP/SB line entrance require that all drinks, food, etc be thrown away prior to entering the queue?
That would be unreasonable to expect people to wait in long waits without something to eat or drink. They would also lose a lot of snack sales if people knew that they couldn't take them into any queue.

IMFearless

Perhaps the answer is for the members of fan forums to take photographs of particularly bad examples and upload them to Twitter or Facebook and tag Disney World in the pictures. If every time someone searched #disneyworld on Twitter a steady stream of trash was displayed management would soon resolve the issue. Bad publicity is much more expensive to deal with in the long run than just keeping the parks clean. Management is the issue here, the vast majority of custodial staff seem to work very hard from what I've noticed. I always make a point of complimenting the custodians when I see them taking pride in their work.

cindyt123

It has been a very hot summer and that can make it very difficult on a janitor in florida. Also, there are some cultures who don't even understand where to use the restroom as anyone who has ever cleaned poop out of a dressing room can attest to. LOL.

gibmom

We were there last Sept. and everything looked fine. I think copcarguyp71 may be on to something. I have friends who spent time in a C.American country this summer and she said they have no thought of trash cans. They just toss it down. And I've heard about strange bathroom habits, like cindy123 mentioned. I'm glad people from many countries can come to WDW but it does seem like it's becoming out of the price range of more Americans.

Disney4family

Just got back from 15 days at WDW. I would have to say the parks are getting dirtier because the Guests are getting worse.

The queue for Buzz was littered with people's napkins and cups. They were cleaned up the next day so the CMs are doing their part to keep it clean.

My husband cleaned up people's cups that were "hidden" behind the stone calendar inside Mexico by the Kidcot Funstop, in the nooks and crannies of Under the Sea and Splash and at too many other places where people were lazy. If you were there in the last two weeks and left your garbage around -you're welcome. Other people's experience to escape reality and people like you was not ruined because we threw out your mess. I always tell my students to clean up their own mess and that the custodians at school have their own job to do. It's the same for the CMs.

The worst "pollution" was either light or noise. If people weren't taking constant flash photos, they spoke continuously throughout the entire ride without a care for others around them. I guess sadly that what others have stated here is true - courtesy for the parks and others Guests is replaced with entitlement for oneself.

Goofyernmost

Just got back from 15 days at WDW. I would have to say the parks are getting dirtier because the Guests are getting worse.

The queue for Buzz was littered with people's napkins and cups. They were cleaned up the next day so the CMs are doing their part to keep it clean.

My husband cleaned up people's cups that were "hidden" behind the stone calendar inside Mexico by the Kidcot Funstop, in the nooks and crannies of Under the Sea and Splash and at too many other places where people were lazy. If you were there in the last two weeks and left your garbage around -you're welcome. Other people's experience to escape reality and people like you was not ruined because we threw out your mess. I always tell my students to clean up their own mess and that the custodians at school have their own job to do. It's the same for the CMs.

The worst "pollution" was either light or noise. If people weren't taking constant flash photos, they spoke continuously throughout the entire ride without a care for others around them. I guess sadly that what others have stated here is true - courtesy for the parks and others Guests is replaced with entitlement for oneself.
Buzz has been a problem since it opened up. I don't know if it is the way the wind catches the entrance, but, it doesn't seem logical that one ride would be neglected while the others aren't. I have seen that happen before where a specific location tends to funnel wind blown trash in more then other places. I don't know, just guessing here.

In connection, possible direct connection, the answer to the question "are the parks getting dirtier", possible, but, the guests are getting dirtier then I have ever seen in the past. They don't care about where they throw things or what they throw. They could be 5 feet away from a trash can and yet find it better to just throw stuff on the ground. Unless a cleanup person is assigned to every single Guest that comes into the park, there are going to be times when it takes a little while to get things cleared up. These people cannot be everyplace, every minute of the day. Please don't tell me that they should hire more people, because that will not solve anything to any large degree. Realistic expectations are what should be expected.

I know that the last time I went, last January, there were janitorial (men and women in white) everywhere I looked. It seems like it isn't for lack of trying, but, when the public are all slobs, it's hard to keep up.

afar28

I've only seen cigarettes littered around every now and then. I've noticed that many people seem to no longer care about the designated smoking sections, and smoke where they please. The worst case of this was when I saw a cigarette floating in the Splash Mtn water :depressed:. Or seeing a man smoke his cigarette in the middle of the 7DMT queue..

Nick Wilde

Buzz has been a problem since it opened up. I don't know if it is the way the wind catches the entrance, but, it doesn't seem logical that one ride would be neglected while the others aren't. I have seen that happen before where a specific location tends to funnel wind blown trash in more then other places. I don't know, just guessing here.

In connection, possible direct connection, the answer to the question "are the parks getting dirtier", possible, but, the guests are getting dirtier then I have ever seen in the past. They don't care about where they throw things or what they throw. They could be 5 feet away from a trash can and yet find it better to just throw stuff on the ground. Unless a cleanup person is assigned to every single Guest that comes into the park, there are going to be times when it takes a little while to get things cleared up. These people cannot be everyplace, every minute of the day. Please don't tell me that they should hire more people, because that will not solve anything to any large degree. Realistic expectations are what should be expected.

I know that the last time I went, last January, there were janitorial (men and women in white) everywhere I looked. It seems like it isn't for lack of trying, but, when the public are all slobs, it's hard to keep up.
Another thing, they do train the CM's to pick up every piece of trash they see, but I doubt most do.

Goofyernmost

Another thing, they do train the CM's to pick up every piece of trash they see, but I doubt most do.
That again would be a bi-product of our entitled society. Do the job unless you don't like part of it, then just don't do it. I'm to good to pick up a piece of paper from the ground.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom