Are the Dining Plans worth it for people who don't drink alcohol

m3000

Last trip we upgraded from the free standard plan to the 1Ts 1cs plan. Kept all the receipts and did the maths when we got back.
Saved us several hundred dollars over the two weeks.

Upgrading from a "free" plan will almost always save you money assuming you want to eat at table service restaurants. It's $23 extra to upgrade to the standard plan, and most TS meals are at or above that price. So throw in drinks and dessert and it's almost a no-brainer to upgrade if you got the QS dining for free but also want to eat at some TS restaurants.

Upgrading to DxDP from a "free" plan is $64 a day (or $41 more than upgrading to the standard plan), so if you know you'll be eating at least two TS meals a day, every day, then it's worth it, otherwise probably not.

Hcalvert

I don't know how there could be a discussion about the worth of the DDP when someone gets it "free." Then I think about how it is technically not free as you have to pay rack rate for the room and have to usually book hopper tickets. So, unless that was your plan from the beginning, then the "free DDP" is worth it for you. Sometimes taking the room discount and paying out of pocket is the better deal.

Dave B

It really comes down to how you eat at The World, the discussion back and forth is silly, because it really comes down to personal choice. There is no doubt if you just wanted to go as cheap as possible there are ways to do it, if you are going to enjoy nice restaurants and character meals it is worth it, if you are going to bring food and drink to the park and nickel and dime the experience, because you cant afford it, then it is not worth it, it really is all subjective.

TrojanUSC

It really comes down to how you eat at The World, the discussion back and forth is silly, because it really comes down to personal choice. There is no doubt if you just wanted to go as cheap as possible there are ways to do it, if you are going to enjoy nice restaurants and character meals it is worth it, if you are going to bring food and drink to the park and nickel and dime the experience, because you cant afford it, then it is not worth it, it really is all subjective.

It has nothing to do with nickel and diming or bringing food from outside. You're tired and want to skip one table service dinner? That costs money. Want to eat more casually at the resort instead of a character meal because you've had a lot of them? More money out the window. Still full from your buffet breakfast at 11am at your 4pm dinner and just want a salad? Might as well just burn the cash with a lighter right at the table. Not in the mood for an appetizer or dessert? Guess what, another waste!

You've handed over more money to Disney for a very high average meal price, for every single meal, and any deviation from eating the absolute maximum and most expensive things available, every day, is at a loss to you. Not to mention the countless times I've seen people filling their suitcases with overpriced Disney snacks at resort gift shoppes because they had nine snack credits left and they don't want them to go to waste.

Last edited:

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I don't know how there could be a discussion about the worth of the DDP when someone gets it "free." Then I think about how it is technically not free as you have to pay rack rate for the room and have to usually book hopper tickets. So, unless that was your plan from the beginning, then the "free DDP" is worth it for you. Sometimes taking the room discount and paying out of pocket is the better deal.
Outside of the US we don't have any "room offers" . So a "free" dining plan is one of the few "offers"we get.

Peace Love Disney

In the Parks
No
I am a teen who is a part of a family who does get the DDP when we go. It is my parents, me, and my little brother on the trips. My mom and dad usually do have an alcoholic drink at the main evening meal and there are a few times where I will get a fancy frozen drink with no alcohol and my little brother will get the special kids drink as well. My dad is a real stickler when it comes to money and as much as Disney cost I don't think he would keep getting the DDP if it didn't benefit out family. Now all that being said, I think it is really hard for anyone to give you a definite yes or no answer because your family can be totally different. Maybe you should try it once and then crunch the numbers if you are that kind of math person and see for yourself.

Dave B

It has nothing to do with nickel and diming or bringing food from outside. You're tired and want to skip one table service dinner? That costs money. Want to eat more casually at the resort instead of a character meal because you've had a lot of them? More money out the window. Still full from your buffet breakfast at 11am at your 4pm dinner and just want a salad? Might as well just burn the cash with a lighter right at the table. Not in the mood for an appetizer or dessert? Guess what, another waste!

You've handed over more money to Disney for a very high average meal price, for every single meal, and any deviation from eating the absolute maximum and most expensive things available, every day, is at a loss to you. Not to mention the countless times I've seen people filling their suitcases with overpriced Disney snacks at resort gift shoppes because they had nine snack credits left and they don't want them to go to waste.
For everyone who has said Free Dining is not worth it and more expensive, I just booked a trip for free dining in July, I ran the numbers of free dining, vs the 25% discount vs a random week with no discounts, here are the numbers. We are staying at the Wilderness Lodge ( courtyard view ) ( Finally ) a family of 4, include two teens for 10 days

$4770--- room only--no tix's and no dining

$6870 ---9 day tix NO park hoper---no dining

$7296------ 9 day tix w/park hopper---no dining

$7826--- free regular dining ( 1 TS, 1QS and 2 snacks as well as the mug ) w/9 day park hopper pus ( we like the waterparks )

So I guess you will say it is slightly higher, but as a family of four, we will eat way more than the $530 difference, In fact we will spend that at Cinderella's Table and Le Cellier alone

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
I agree that it's all about your personal eating habits. If you like really good restaurants, they're almost always 2 TS credits and some aren't even on the plan, so the Dining Plans probably won't work.

Club Cooloholic

For everyone who has said Free Dining is not worth it and more expensive, I just booked a trip for free dining in July, I ran the numbers of free dining, vs the 25% discount vs a random week with no discounts, here are the numbers. We are staying at the Wilderness Lodge ( courtyard view ) ( Finally ) a family of 4, include two teens for 10 days

$4770--- room only--no tix's and no dining

$6870 ---9 day tix NO park hoper---no dining

$7296------ 9 day tix w/park hopper---no dining

$7826--- free regular dining ( 1 TS, 1QS and 2 snacks as well as the mug ) w/9 day park hopper pus ( we like the waterparks )

So I guess you will say it is slightly higher, but as a family of four, we will eat way more than the $530 difference, In fact we will spend that at Cinderella's Table and Le Cellier alone
All I know is DDP keeps those restaurants full, so Disney loves people getting it. Ever been to Disneyland? No DDP and great food and often easy to get ressie day of.

Hockey89

All I know is DDP keeps those restaurants full, so Disney loves people getting it. Ever been to Disneyland? No DDP and great food and often easy to get ressie day of.
They love the cash flow with upfront payments and many people not breaking even. Of course, some people do win but would they order the most expensive thing on the item normally or are they only doing it bc they have the DDP. That part gets missed a ton....It changes your habits... Who the hell wants a filet every single meal

Prince-1

They love the cash flow with upfront payments and many people not breaking even. Of course, some people do win but would they order the most expensive thing on the item normally or are they only doing it bc they have the DDP. That part gets missed a ton....It changes your habits... Who the hell wants a filet every single meal

Or to sit down for every meal. You are literally planning your day around food.

Club Cooloholic

Think of it this way too, the sameness of the menus allows them to buy more things, like the strip steak in bulk at lower prices. Also, it is build in crowd control. You spend hundreds of dollars to go to parks to see shows and rides but then tuck in to restaurants for over and hour and half sometimes to eat a meal that doesn't even rival the Longhorns steakhouse down the street back home.
Now there are some good restaurants and dining experiences and it certainly is nice to take a break, but I don't know if people would be doing sit down meals every night if not for packages(kids often prefer a quick meal and more park or pool time).
Also, back before they started charging for parking and everyone took the Magic Express(which isn't "free" either that cost is built into your hotel room costs) and more people were renting cars, it was nice and cheaper to have a few meals off site.

Jon81uk

Or to sit down for every meal. You are literally planning your day around food.
Unless you get the deluxe plan, you only get one table service meal per day so you are only forced to sit down for one meal. The quick service meal you can eat wherever you like.

Hockey89

Think of it this way too, the sameness of the menus allows them to buy more things, like the strip steak in bulk at lower prices. Also, it is build in crowd control. You spend hundreds of dollars to go to parks to see shows and rides but then tuck in to restaurants for over and hour and half sometimes to eat a meal that doesn't even rival the Longhorns steakhouse down the street back home.
Now there are some good restaurants and dining experiences and it certainly is nice to take a break, but I don't know if people would be doing sit down meals every night if not for packages(kids often prefer a quick meal and more park or pool time).
Also, back before they started charging for parking and everyone took the Magic Express(which isn't "free" either that cost is built into your hotel room costs) and more people were renting cars, it was nice and cheaper to have a few meals off site.
Lots of great points... No way people would be sitting down every meal if they didn't have the packages...

Prince-1

Unless you get the deluxe plan, you only get one table service meal per day so you are only forced to sit down for one meal. The quick service meal you can eat wherever you like.

The DDP is what we were talking about but yes the quick service gives a lot more flexibility to where you can eat and doesn't lock you into eating a huge meal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Club Cooloholic

The DDP is what we were talking about but yes the quick service gives a lot more flexibility to where you can eat and doesn't lock you into eating a huge meal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
I think it's harder to get value out of the quick service one though, especially if you are not having alchohol.

Jon81uk

DDP is the standard Disney Dining Plan of one table service, one quick service and two snacks
Deluxe Disney Dining Plan (DxDDP) has three table service.
Quick Service Dining Pan (QSDP) has two quick service and two snacks.

The standard Disney dining plan (DDP) is the one mainly being discussed in this thread.

Prince-1

DDP is the standard Disney Dining Plan of one table service, one quick service and two snacks
Deluxe Disney Dining Plan (DxDDP) has three table service.
Quick Service Dining Pan (QSDP) has two quick service and two snacks.

The standard Disney dining plan (DDP) is the one mainly being discussed in this thread.

Too many damn acronyms. The Deluxe Dinning Plan is a HUGE waste!! Way to much food and all you do is plan your day around eating.

Weather_Lady

Too many damn acronyms. The Deluxe Dinning Plan is a HUGE waste!! Way to much food and all you do is plan your day around eating.

I've never dared to ask, but I sometimes wonder what we'd find if we asked people who use the different levels of dining plans (and use all of their entitlements), and those who don't use a plan, about their BMI and blood pressure. BUT I WON'T ASK because I don't want to be murdered (so please, no need for anybody to respond and say, "I eat everything on the DxDD every day, and I'm skinny and healthy"). I'm sure that many of you are.

I just know that I eat less than half of the calories/volume of food the DDP offers every day, and even with regular exercise, I still struggle with my weight. After a few days of DDP-style eating (or just a couple days of DxDP-style eating), it would take me (and HAS taken me, in the past, when we've had a dining plan) weeks of work to repair the damage.

I still love to splurge when I eat on vacation -- but these days I try to do so by adding quality instead of quantity (e.g., a pricy scallop appetizer as my meal, or a simple salad with a really great glass of wine).

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom