Are magic bands worth it?

JohnD

Unfortunately the only thing you will be able to use it for is getting in the parks, FP+, and Memory Maker if you get one. You can not add a credit card to the band for charging.
I would still buy one for convenience as the solid colors are only $12.95. Also if you want some ride videos and pics from rides that do not have anywhere to scan a physical card like 7DMT it's so much easier with the band. You wouldn't have to have the pics or videos looked up/found by the Photopass staff etc for those particular rides that auto link those by your Magic Bands.
I personally like the convienience of the Magic Bands. :)

I don't see not being able to link it to your credit card as "unfortunately". Actually, I think it's a good safety mechanism that charges are only allowed if staying on site then only to your room. It means having to go through two levels before hitting your credit card. (i.e. 1. MB --> Room, 2. Room --> Credit card on file).

I wouldn't want an MB that could potentially be lost be directly linked to my credit card, even if you do have to use a PIN in order to do charges.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
I don't see not being able to link it to your credit card as "unfortunately". Actually, I think it's a good safety mechanism that charges are only allowed if staying on site then only to your room. It means having to go through two levels before hitting your credit card. (i.e. 1. MB --> Room, 2. Room --> Credit card on file).

I wouldn't want an MB that could potentially be lost be directly linked to my credit card, even if you do have to use a PIN in order to do charges.
I didn't actually mean "unfortunately" I was just using the term because it's something they would have liked to do and cannot as an offsite guest. I always stay onsite so not an issue for me and love being able to do that. You knew what I meant I was just trying to sound sympathetic and be nice. LOL. I know why it's not a good idea already and I'm sure they know why as well. But thanks for clarifying in case they do not know that. :)

Rob562

While I don't see them going to the point of linking credit cards directly to the Bands, there is one possibility that I posted about a while ago that I could potentially see them going.
They could potentially link your Band to a Disney gift card account, either a physical card or a "virtual" card. That would require you to pre-pay an amount onto the card and then access it via your Band and PIN.

I do that now here in Massachusetts with Dunkin Donuts. If you buy a gift card in the store, you can then link it to your Dunkin account (where you get rewards points for every dollar spent, but that's another discussion). You can then access the balance either through the physical card or through the phone app (the app displays a barcode that they scan in the store).

And if you want, you don't even need a physical card. You can buy a virtual "card" directly in the app, though you're only limited to using the app to pay for purchases. (I always have a physical card since when I'm in the car my phone is often mounted in my car as my GPS and it's too much of a hassle) You can also reload the card account through the app.

Since Disney already has a gift card system in place, I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to expand it by linking that system to the MDE system.

-Rob

rucifee

Magic Bands are incredibly handy, but if you're a pass holder make sure you have your ID and Passholder card with you at all times. It sort of defeats the purpose of having a Magic Band to some degree, but we don't have to fumble for the cards to get into the parks or use FP+ so it's worth it to us.

pug

It's
This is my first time on these forums so sorry if this has been asked before but here we go!

I've booked to go to wdw in October with my girlfriend. It'll be her first trip and my 15th but I've not been in about 5 years so all this mymagic+ is new to me!

We're staying off site in Kissimmee but have got a 14 day unlimited ticket. My question is it worth buying a magic band on the first day? Because I'm not onsite will my only benefit be that the park ticket is linked to it or can I still link a credit card if I'm not staying onsite?

Any help would be much appreciated and I can't wait to return to the magic!
It's worth it :)

erasure fan1

So basically all I can use it for is park entry and fastpass+? How about the BOG restaurant? I read something about them being able to find you because of the band?

Tbh I think I'll get them anyway because there not that expensive and they're quite a nice souvenir I just wondered what I could actually use them for
While I am not a big fan of the whole next gen experience with FP+... The bands are not that bad. The on-ride photo/video and photopass was convenient as well as not having to keep track of your ticket for FP+ and entry to the parks was nice. I would never EVER buy one of the designer ones but the basic band for 13 I would say is worth it.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
The wife and I wondered why Disney opened up the MagicBands to non-property staying visitors. I'm not knocking those who stay off property, heck we do it as well. Its just that I thought Disney needs to provide incentives for staying on property and this was just one of them. Then again, I guess if they can charge for them and provide another revenue stream that is a plus for them.

DABIGCHEEZ

The wife and I wondered why Disney opened up the MagicBands to non-property staying visitors. I'm not knocking those who stay off property, heck we do it as well. Its just that I thought Disney needs to provide incentives for staying on property and this was just one of them. Then again, I guess if they can charge for them and provide another revenue stream that is a plus for them.

You answered you own question with... "Then again, I guess if they can charge for them and provide another revenue stream that is a plus for them."

Yep Mickey loves every couple $$ they can squeeze out of every guest.

iYazmo

In your situation, a MagicBand isn't necessary unless you are planning to use Memory Maker or you want access to certain ride photos. 7DMT takes a photo and records a slow-mo video. However, you cannot view these at the end. They're automatically linked to your band and Photopass account, allowing you to view and purchase on there.

If you're not interested in any of that, don't bother. Your ticket is fine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom