Are magic bands worth it?

Danielli5

Original Poster
This is my first time on these forums so sorry if this has been asked before but here we go!

I've booked to go to wdw in October with my girlfriend. It'll be her first trip and my 15th but I've not been in about 5 years so all this mymagic+ is new to me!

We're staying off site in Kissimmee but have got a 14 day unlimited ticket. My question is it worth buying a magic band on the first day? Because I'm not onsite will my only benefit be that the park ticket is linked to it or can I still link a credit card if I'm not staying onsite?

Any help would be much appreciated and I can't wait to return to the magic!

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Unfortunately the only thing you will be able to use it for is getting in the parks, FP+, and Memory Maker if you get one. You can not add a credit card to the band for charging.
I would still buy one for convenience as the solid colors are only $12.95. Also if you want some ride videos and pics from rides that do not have anywhere to scan a physical card like 7DMT it's so much easier with the band. You wouldn't have to have the pics or videos looked up/found by the Photopass staff etc for those particular rides that auto link those by your Magic Bands.
I personally like the convienience of the Magic Bands. :)

Tylerb08

I thought you could link your credit card to the band but could only use it to purchase items/scan entry etc. in the Disney Parks. So it really wouldn't matter just more convenient than swiping a card every time.

sxeensweet

I thought you could link your credit card to the band but could only use it to purchase items/scan entry etc. in the Disney Parks. So it really wouldn't matter just more convenient than swiping a card every time.
You can only link a credit card/charge to room if staying onsite and the OP is not staying onsite. They can still use for entry, FP+, and memory maker if they decide to purchase that option. :)

Rob562

No. That is only for Guests staying on-site at a Disney resort.
(And to get technical, the credit card is not linked to the Band. You leave the credit card number at the front desk to open a charging account at the hotel, and the Band simply points the cash register system to your charge account)

-Rob

Danielli5

Original Poster
So basically all I can use it for is park entry and fastpass+? How about the BOG restaurant? I read something about them being able to find you because of the band?

Tbh I think I'll get them anyway because there not that expensive and they're quite a nice souvenir I just wondered what I could actually use them for

Tylerb08

^^^Ahhh I got it. I stay on the resorts easier that way. Plus when I checked in and received the bands it wasn't explained in great detail on the limits of these bands. I bet in the future outside venders(restaurants, shops) in the area will accept them if a credit card is linked.

lazyboy97o

So basically all I can use it for is park entry and fastpass+? How about the BOG restaurant? I read something about them being able to find you because of the band?

Tbh I think I'll get them anyway because there not that expensive and they're quite a nice souvenir I just wondered what I could actually use them for
The rose you are given is how they find you, but you're also probably going to need a FastPass+ reservation beforehand for that too.

sxeensweet

The rose you are given is how they find you, but you're also probably going to need a FastPass+ reservation beforehand for that too.
It's an actual dining reservation open to everyone (not just onsite guests like the FP booking was) that you book at 180 days like the dinner had been. You do it for the QS lunch and there is no more FP for it. That was only a test they did for a while. No walkups anymore either.
Also if you have MB's they do not use the rose anymore to find you (only use for people without magic bands now) and just use your bands. :)

Last edited:

SAV

I would rather spend the $13 a piece on snacks since it is only there to let you in the parks and get you on the rides. You can't do anything else with it.

JasonDeyoung

As a resort guest I love the magic band. Was sketchy of it when they first came out, but I love the convience of them. I have only used my AP band a few times without a resort reservation so all I could use it for was ticket and FP+ but if you've never had one I'd get one just to give it a test run.

RonAnnArbor

I have 18 of them sitting at home from the last two years - all of them unused -- hate them, will never use them. Get one sent to me each time I go and stay on property. For your purposes they will be totally useless. Your ticket will do everything you need.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
^^^Ahhh I got it. I stay on the resorts easier that way. Plus when I checked in and received the bands it wasn't explained in great detail on the limits of these bands. I bet in the future outside venders(restaurants, shops) in the area will accept them if a credit card is linked.
Doubtful...that would require Disney sharing information with outside vendors and breaching the security of the bands. Disney has assured everyone that your CC information is safe and not stored on the bands. In order for the bands to used off premise then those vendors would require access to the Disney databanks containing everyone CC number and Magic Band matching information.

Major security breach.

Tinkerkelle

I was not convinced, so much so that I didn't even bother customising our bands on our last visit (big mistake when you have 4 grey bands and no way of identifying them other than writing names on the inside but then that gets worn off as the day progresses and you forget to rewrite the names before bed!!) but am a total convert. They are especially fab at water parks when you want to use DDP credits for food - no need to go to your locker to get cash, etc but that all depends on you being an onsite guest, in fact the perks that I really like (DDP credits and ability to attach to a credit card) depend on being an onsite guest. I do like having the band on the wrist and not having to go in and out of pockets and bags to get cards for the whole family for entry and FP+ but that's a minor thing, I suppose if you actually have to pay extra for it.

Seanual757

We have over 40 of them we love the convince when we are staying at the resort for the room keys as well as EMH. As pass holders and DVC members I like them so I do not have to break out our cards. They are great when we hit the water parks no need for our wallets or cash just use the MB to buy lunch and get into the parks.
I see people all they time I will never wear them because they track me and honestly no more worse than your cell phone being able to track you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom