Are guests still able to ride in the monorail cockpits?

ann0d

Wow that is ashame. I luckily did it our last trip in 2007, my son loved it. It was something I always wanted to do, and even though DH was against it, we did it. Thank goodness!
Every trip I try to do something I never did at Disney and I am so glad I chose that last trip.

Courtney1188

Wow, I had no idea they'd stopped that! I suppose it makes sense when it comes to liabilities considering the accident...but still disappointing.

captain marvel1

Originally Posted by captain marvel1
it sucks we wont be able to ride in the front anymore.

List of Changes Disney’s Made Since Monorail Death

by John Frost
I’m trying to compile a list of known changes made to procedures or operations at Walt Disney World since the Monorail Accident that resulted in the death of one monorail pilot. If you can help me add anything I’m missing I’d appreciate it.
Guests are no longer allowed to ride in the nose cone with the monorail pilots.
Added new sensors to all monorail switches and the spur line.
Added additional set of visual confirmation to all switches.
Require Monorail Pilots to drive forward through the switch from the EPCOT loop to the Magic Kingdom express look. This requires moving from the forward cab to the back cab in the EPCOT station and then backing out until they’ve passed the switch.
Monorail Control Coordinator is no longer allowed to leave the monorail station area without having a qualified replacement taking that position. It’s unclear if they’re also required to stay in the tower when trains are switching beams.
Three employees involved in the incident have been suspended with pay pending the results of the investigation.
The Behind the Magic Steam Train tour at Magic Kingdom has been canceled through October 12th. This is probably due to the close proximity of the train barn to the monorail barn. They’re in the same building behind the MK.
Some of these are just temporary changes and some will likely become permanant pending the results of the OSHA and NTSB reports.
ShareThis

Rob562

In addition to safety factors (whether real or perceived), there was an additional human element to the ban on Guests up front. The current ban on Guests up front allowed the pilots to drive the trains at a time when emotions were running very high.

I've read posts on another board made by monorail pilots about some of the truly insensitive and horrible things that Guests have asked them or said to them about the accident (one or two of which I'm not sure how the CM refrained from decking the a**hole). Would *you* want to drive the monorail, stuck in the front cab for the 8+ minute ride to Epcot with no way of walking away, with a Guest who's asking questions and making tasteless comments and jokes about your friend and co-worker who'd just been killed in a horrible accident?

While I'd love to see Guests in the front cab return, I totally understand the many reasons for the current ban.

If it *does* return, I can totally see the managers giving pilots more individual freedom on whether they take Guests in their cab or not. Some may never want Guests up there with them again, others may want Guests back up front now.

-Rob

plaz10

what a disappontment :(
unfortunately i have never had that experience and now probably never will

but its understandable. although i dont know that if enough people complain they will bring it back...(cough...horizons...cough cough) haha.

its a safety issue. so you can't really blame them for it. its just one of those things that we can miss and complain about on here

montyz81

How bout they let guests ride in the back. Lock the console and make it available. Less distracting to the driver allowing for less chance of an accident.

I suspect that the locking of the console is a bigger issue. That is most likely a pretty big software upgrade.

Anyway, just a thought.

fosse76

only there were no guests in either cab, so that argument doesn't really fly.

But it does. Theoretically, the monorail pilot of Pink should have been paying enough attention to realize he was on the wrong beam. He was alone and with no guests. Guests are an easy distraction. And while the monorail has been fatality-free up until this accident, that doesn't mean the potential wasn't always there.

Rob562

How bout they let guests ride in the back. Lock the console and make it available. Less distracting to the driver allowing for less chance of an accident.

I suspect that the locking of the console is a bigger issue. That is most likely a pretty big software upgrade.

Anyway, just a thought.

It's more than just a software change to lock out the console (which as far as I know, the console in the end that's not in use is pretty much inactive anyway when the console at the other end is logged in). There are a LOT of switch and breaker panels in the wall behind the pilot's seat in each cab. Those would have to be locked up, but then easily unlocked by the pilots for access when they switch ends.

They would also have to devise a way of locking the cab doors with no way of opening them from the inside. As far as I know, the cab doors can be opened from the inside at any time, as they only have a manual latch.

-Rob

captain marvel1

just a thought how do we know the 60 old driver of the other monorail didn't have a seizure and blacked out. so if they have a heart attack who stops the monorails?

TURKEY

just a thought how do we know the 60 old driver of the other monorail didn't have a seizure and blacked out. so if they have a heart attack who stops the monorails?

Spiderman???

I think the system is not allowed to get within so many pylons of another monorail and will throw on the brakes if getting too close, but not sure.

Is there also a master control that someone can kill power to a beam and would that stop all traffic?

MKCP 1985

But it does. Theoretically, the monorail pilot of Pink should have been paying enough attention to realize he was on the wrong beam. He was alone and with no guests. Guests are an easy distraction. And while the monorail has been fatality-free up until this accident, that doesn't mean the potential wasn't always there.

If guests are an easy distraction, why has there never been a fatal collision between monorails due to the pilot having been distracted by the presence of the guests?

The potential for a fatal accident is not be the determining factor in whether guests are allowed in the cabin. After all, the fatal accident occurred with no guests present and monorail transportation has resumed so the potential for another fatality is accepted on a daily basis, even as I type this.

I would have no problem clearing guests to resume rides with monorail captains.

Rob562

Under normal operation:

The top of the control stick that the pilots move forward and back to accellerate and brake has to be twisted 45 degrees in order for the train to operate. If it is released at any time, the console starts beeping loudly and the pilot has 3-4 seconds to re-engange the control stick. After that, the train automatically applies the emergency brakes and the train stops.

In addition, if the pilot runs past a hold-point (either by inattention or in the rare possibility that they become incapacitated in such a way that they're still engaging the throttle in the correct position), they'll get a red light on the console and the train will E-stop with a lot of beeping.

On the night on the accident, the driver of Pink was reversing the train while using the override button (under the direction of their manager). This override was necessary in order to move the train onto the spur beam. (it'd be a rather long explanation of the operation of the blocklight system to explain why this is necessary) While in override, the override button has to be pressed down with one hand while the throttle is operated by the other hand. (It's impossible to do it one-handed) While the override button is pressed, there is a very loud continuous beeping, and the train is limited to 15MPH.

So long story short, the driver of Pink did not have a medical problem the night of the accident. It was a confluence of a failure by someone in the Shop who didn't move the switch but indicated over the radio it had (at least by the reports I've read), the inattention of Pink's driver who didn't notice they weren't on the correct beam, and operating guidelines allowing this beam switch to be done while noone was in the control booth monitoring the position of the beam switches.

And to answer Turkey's question...
Only the Shop has the ability to kill the power to the entire monorail system.
In each station, there is a belt-pack worn by one of the platform CMs. That beltpack has the ability to kill the power to the beam(s) at and near the station it's assigned to.
At the time of night that the accident happened, I don't believe there was a CM assigned to the Concourse platform. There were no Guests heading to Epcot at that hour (perhaps just the random Guest leaving the MK who needed to get to their car in the Epcot lot), and the pilots of the trains stopping at the station were handling the train doors and station gates on their own. If there had been a CM on the Concourse platform wearing the beltpack, and they had noticed the impending collision, they would have (conceivably) been able to cut the power to the beam, which would have automatically E-stopped both trains. (It's yet another "if" that can be added into the reasons for the accident above, where if any one of them had/hadn't happened, the accident might've been avoided)

-Rob

My problem with disallowing guests in the cab ever again is that it is unecessary. This was a completely preventable accidented, caused by human error. However, as such, one can argue that guests distract the monorail pilot, and as the accident has shown, the pilots need to really pay attention to what they are doing. But I digress.

I agree with you!

You know what if you want to ride in the front they should make you sign a Wavier saying that you are putting yourself in risk! Just a random idea!

captain marvel1

thats what i was thinking the other day too and it has to be signed 2 stops before they let you on the front of the monorail. with the waiver if your name not on the list your going to have to ride in the back and in the list. it says no talking to drivers unless its a disney related question or the driver brings up a conversation which is only 5 min max per question.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom