Are crowds really that bad at Easter?

My family are booking for Easter 2012,i was wondering are the crowds that bad as they say and what the books say.i never went in the very busy times.What should we expect.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I have been there a few days after Easter and stayed at Fort Wilderness. I never want to discourage ANYONE from going to Disney at any time either so I will limit my input.

Take a good look at crowd projections for that time search back for old threads referencing that timeframe.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

When we were still just dating, my wife and I made our second trip during Easter Week/Spring break. It was not as good a time as our first, despite being much more comfortable weather. The crowds were kinda ridonkulous. We'd go to a park for a few hours in the morning, and either leave soon thereafter, OR do many of the less-popular things we hadn't done our trip the prior August. A lot of World Showcase looky-looing that trip.

To make matters worse, the resort, Port Orleans - Riverside, was also packed to the gills. We never made it to the main pool because it was always so crowded, you couldn't find a place to leave your towel and sandals. Wait times for food was crazy. And renting a surrey bike was a disaster as even those paths were often packed as well.

If you were to go, and take it with a grain of salt, if you can afford it, go deluxe, as those resorts tend to be smaller capacity than most of the mods and all of the Values, and they have more amenities to enjoy if you wind up needing to leave parks because of the crowds, so you can do stuff like rent watercraft or spa treatments without having to do much extensive travel (unless you'll have your own car). Consider doing more sit down meals, especially if you have kids in your party that enjoy character interaction, go for character buffets, so they don't have to wait on those long lines to meet characters. Try to take advantage of early morning EMH as much as possible. And if you need to stay offsite in order to go, don't go.

Upvote 0
I have been twice during Easter. One fell during College Spring break. If you have young kids it will be a nightmare. The place is packed. No matter where you go or what you do. The only other time it is worse is New Year's Eve through the first week in January.

If you have older children sleep in and go to the parks in the afternoon and stay until the parks close. If you stay on property Extra Magic hours run until 3:00 and that is the best time to be in the parks.

This said I would go back the same time if this was the only time I would go. I love being there and anytime you can go is always a great time if you have fun and be a kid!!

Upvote 0

erstwo

I agree with the above posters who said - I would NEVER discourage someone from going to Disney, even if it was super busy. I feel the same way!

That being said - On our trip at Easter in 2008 - I don't think I will ever forget standing at the exit/ entrance to the Jungle Cruise (wait time way over an hour at 10:00 am) trying and trying and trying to get over to Aladdin's Magic Carpets (just across the 'way') and not being able to cross the never ending flow of people - about 20 people deep. We finally just gave up and went with the 'flow' and exited the Magic Kingdom. This was the Monday after Easter, and it was that crowded. Pretty much the same crowds the Thursday, Friday and Saturday leading up to Easter too. Easter itself didn't seem as bad, but we were in Epcot - which I think allows the crowds to spread out a little. Plus we were on the Deluxe Dining Plan, so we spent most of our time eating. :lol:

It was still a FABULOUS trip. It was our first trip since the 90's and we loved it so much we couldn't wait to go back. Even with the crowds. They have lots of special stuff they do at the resorts and even a few things at the Parks that don't happen any other time of year.

Hope that helps! :wave:

Upvote 0

imahistorygeek

I recommend using a touring plan. We used a touring plan for each park during Christmas (wall to wall bodies) and seriously, we didn't wait in any lines more than 30 minutes. By using the plans we were able to move ahead of the crowds and have a really enjoyable experience. Since we had a plan, the crowds didn't bother us at all.

Upvote 0

disneyinsider1

Original Poster
I recommend using a touring plan. We used a touring plan for each park during Christmas (wall to wall bodies) and seriously, we didn't wait in any lines more than 30 minutes. By using the plans we were able to move ahead of the crowds and have a really enjoyable experience. Since we had a plan, the crowds didn't bother us at all.

We were thinking of doing the same thing.While waiting for the bus we can think of the daily plan for are family.Thanks!

Upvote 0

disneyinsider1

Original Poster
I have been twice during Easter. One fell during College Spring break. If you have young kids it will be a nightmare. The place is packed. No matter where you go or what you do. The only other time it is worse is New Year's Eve through the first week in January.

If you have older children sleep in and go to the parks in the afternoon and stay until the parks close. If you stay on property Extra Magic hours run until 3:00 and that is the best time to be in the parks.

This said I would go back the same time if this was the only time I would go. I love being there and anytime you can go is always a great time if you have fun and be a kid!!

So parks stay open til 3 AM! WOW. the youngest going will be 10 and oldest 17 so most of are family will be at the parks late,but we would probably go early in the morning if the crowds arnt bad.

Upvote 0

disneyinsider1

Original Poster
When we were still just dating, my wife and I made our second trip during Easter Week/Spring break. It was not as good a time as our first, despite being much more comfortable weather. The crowds were kinda ridonkulous. We'd go to a park for a few hours in the morning, and either leave soon thereafter, OR do many of the less-popular things we hadn't done our trip the prior August. A lot of World Showcase looky-looing that trip.

To make matters worse, the resort, Port Orleans - Riverside, was also packed to the gills. We never made it to the main pool because it was always so crowded, you couldn't find a place to leave your towel and sandals. Wait times for food was crazy. And renting a surrey bike was a disaster as even those paths were often packed as well.

If you were to go, and take it with a grain of salt, if you can afford it, go deluxe, as those resorts tend to be smaller capacity than most of the mods and all of the Values, and they have more amenities to enjoy if you wind up needing to leave parks because of the crowds, so you can do stuff like rent watercraft or spa treatments without having to do much extensive travel (unless you'll have your own car). Consider doing more sit down meals, especially if you have kids in your party that enjoy character interaction, go for character buffets, so they don't have to wait on those long lines to meet characters. Try to take advantage of early morning EMH as much as possible. And if you need to stay offsite in order to go, don't go.

We always stay on property cause of the extras,but we dont have the $$ to stay at a Deluxe,I pretty sure we are staying at Coronado Springs.
Thanks!

Upvote 0

disneygirl1

I am so nervous now about our spring break trip. We are going on the Dream on Thurs 4/5, but planning on checking into either the BC or BWI on Tuesday 9/2 and go to the parks on Tuesday and Wednesday which is the week before easter... What kind of crowds will we be dealign with? Plan of attack is to hit the parks early, head back to the resort to swim then head back to the parks around dinner time. Appreciate any advice you can provide.

Upvote 0

WDW_Princess24

My BF and I were at WDW the week leading into Easter and it was the most crowded we had ever seen it (we had previously gone in August and February). It wasn't completely unbearable, you deal with the crowds the best you can. There is always a way to make it work. The only thing that annoyed me was the 220 min wait at Toy Story Mania during this entire week. We had to get up and be at the park at 7am for EMH. We were there at opening and still had a good 45min wait.

Upvote 0
I feel so bad saying this, as if I had the choice to go or not go to WDW, I'd of course go - but Easter of 2007 was a nightmare. Thank God we'd been many times before and knew what to do, but it was wall-to-wall people - you could barely move. I will personally never go during "spring break" again.

On the plus side: We stayed off property (well, in DTD, and it sucked) and staying on would've helped a lot. AND, good news - if you've gone before, you can make it happen so you don't miss your favorite rides using fastpass - and if you get all of your dining reservations ahead of time, you should be just fine. The heat wasn't bad at all, and we (the 7 of us) still had a blast. It just took extra patience on our parts - patience I wasn't prepared to have. If we went again during Easter, I would KNOW ahead of time how it was going to be and have a whole different attitude. You will have fun no matter what!

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

Mind you it's been MANY years since we did the whole WDW Easter trip, but my very first trip to WDW was during my grade school spring break which happened to coincide w/Easter weekend. It was back in the day where there was just MK and Epcot, but let me say that it was INSANE!!! Fast forward to this year- a friend of mine from college went that time this year. THe crowds were so thick she couldn't take it and had to leave the park.

All that being said- my parents were first timers as well on that first trip and I don't think anyone had published touring plans back in those days + it was before FastPass- so many of us were just walking from one mega huge queue to another. On a related note, my friend who went this past year wasn't in the Orlando area solely for WDW (they go to visit family several times per year), and I don't think she does any kind of touring plan, so she wasn't prepared (even if they go 2 or 3 x per yr) and not really in the mindset to make it work.

So, all that being said- I think you can still make it an enjoyable trip as long as you plan for crowds. I've got friends going right around Christmas, and while they're nervous about crowds- it's just something where we're taking a proactive approach (i.e. touring plan, must dos, dining, etc.) to ensure they have a more enjoyable trip. So, that's what I'd suggest.

Upvote 0

Diane Hughess

As the resident 'Disneyholic' at work, my boss asked me a few years back for my input on his trip over Easter. I told him that I'd rather NOT go than go over Easter, as the crowds are only dwarfed by Christmas. I suggested he go when his kids got out of school in June instead. He ignored my advice. When he returned, he said he should have listened to me, he would NEVER go at Easter again. It was so mobbed, it was overwhelming to them, and they spent most of their vacation at the hotel pool. Needless to say, I am now planning his next trip during the off season!

Upvote 0

majorrfb

Never Easter

My family went to the World only once. Once was enough!! MK was mobbed and long waiting lines. I think school vacations play a major role on size of crowds. If Easter falls in one of the public school vacation weeks, the crowds will be LARGE. :brick:

Upvote 0

jim1051

we went a few years ago Easter week. We went to parks at opening for about2-3 hours. By then things were so crowded you could barely walk the streets. we would eat an early lunch and bail to the resort until dinner time.

As we were leaving MK on Easter at 12:15 it was closing due to crowds.

Upvote 0
Spring Break

We have never been to WDW at this time as I have always been told that it is very crowded. I think alot of Brits go as it is to escape from the rotten British winter weather!!!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom