Are any of Future World pavilions better now than when they opened?

ppete1975

Struck me the other day that pretty much everything in Future World (save for maybe The Land and Test Track, depending on your preference) was better 30 years ago. I didn’t get to experience the classic EPCOT attractions so am I just imagining a utopian period or is this really the case?
world of motion was much better in my opinion. outside of the outdoor portion test track is kind of lame, i think the reason its as popular as it is, is due to the fact that its the closest thing to a thrill ride epcot has.

ppete1975

Only The Land ... and it's close to a wash.

Good = Soarin', Symbiosis gone
Bad = No Kitchen Kabaret, Listen to the Land was superior to current version, the Fountain removed, food court tables everywhere

Every other Future World pavilion is severely diminished.
The eating area was much much better i agree. I think soarin replacing kitchen kabaret was a good improvement. Dont touch listen to the land. :)

ppete1975

Original TT was better than Tron Track. But I still enjoyed the original WoM, better. TT has the trills and excitement, but the original WoM was so much more entertaining. The way the ride spiraled up giving views to Future World East before entering the building, to all of the visual sight gags, and finally who could ever get "It's Fun To Be Free" out of their head after riding. Even the post show area was great. They actually had experimental cars and prototypes instead of a mini dealership trying to sell you a truck you could buy at the local Chevy dealership. Epcot is about progress and what the future could hold, to get there we have to look to the past and see where we can improve our society for the better. Don't get me wrong I love a good thrill ride, but when they dull it down to a giant black box with some neon lights video game you have lost my attention. It's sad to see so much potential go to waste. Bring back the past, because "It's fun to be free."
world of motion was space ship earth about transportation* ... and if you think about it was the spiritual replacement for the mustang ride at the worlds fair

was my favorite epcot ride

*edited due to it was early and i was rambling and put cars

Last edited:

UNCgolf

The two that come to mind for me are:

Soarin' > Kitchen Kabaret
Test Track > WoM

Those two pavilions are superior in modern times than they were during classic Epcot Center days (imo).
Nothing against Kitchen or WoM. I did enjoy those older attractions for what they were.

I disagree strongly with the latter -- not only do I think World of Motion was a better ride than either of the Test Tracks, the pavilion itself had a more interesting/diverse post-show area than what currently exists.

I think The Land is the only one that even has an argument because Soarin' is good (although the CGI is horrendous and actively detracts from the experience), but it may be a wash overall for other reasons. At least they haven't ruined Living with the Land.

I can't believe anyone thinks the Seas has improved. That pavilion was a crowning achievement and probably the best in all of Future World as a unified experience. The attraction certainly wasn't the best, but it was part of the whole and the pavilion doesn't really work without it and the hydrolaters. It's just a random aquarium now.

Last edited:

FettFan

I disagree strongly with the latter -- not only do I think World of Motion was a better ride than either of the Test Tracks, the pavilion itself had a more interesting/diverse post-show area than what currently exists.

Agreed. The current postshow is essentially a car lot, swarming with Chevrolet sales reps.
If you linger for too long, they’ll rush you to get your zip code and “get you in touch with a dealer near you!”

I just looked at the guy “nah. I have Google and I like Ford.”

DVCakaCarlF

Agreed. The current postshow is essentially a car lot, swarming with Chevrolet sales reps.
If you linger for too long, they’ll rush you to get your zip code and “get you in touch with a dealer near you!”

I just looked at the guy “nah. I have Google and I like Ford.”
I like to tell them I have bad credit, so don’t bother.

UNCgolf

The land...excluding the kites/balloons that don’t move anymore.

That's part of the reason I said it may be a wash overall. The old interior with the moving balloons and the fountain was much better than the current mass of tables, and although Soarin' is probably a better attraction than Food Rocks or Kitchen Kabaret, I think they were better fits for the pavilion and they had a certain type of charm that's mostly lacking from Disney these days outside of a few of the older MK attractions.

Last edited:
The Land may be the only one... but I’m not completely sold on that

EPCOT in the 80s/early 90s is still my favorite theme park of all time and it’s shameful how far it’s fallen

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom