Apple Pay at WDW, oh how convenient!!!

CaptainAmerica

I'm not saying the MagicBand does add or subtract from security. What I am saying is that using ApplePay to purchase something is more secure than using a MagicBand, or a Key To the World card, or any other form of cashless payment.
I disagree. You're exposed to the vulnerabilities of Disney's credit card database simply from checking into your hotel, not just because you use your guest privileges to make a cashless purchase. A resort guest who uses ApplePay is exposing themselves to risks from Disney's database and Apple's process. A resort guest who uses a MagicBand is only exposed to the risks from Disney's database. Using ApplePay does not eliminate the risks of having your card on file with Disney.

FWIW, I have no dog in this fight. I use my MagicBand but pay my balance down every night with gift cards so my credit card has nothing to do with my process.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I disagree. You're exposed to the vulnerabilities of Disney's credit card database simply from checking into your hotel, not just because you use your guest privileges to make a cashless purchase. A resort guest who uses ApplePay is exposing themselves to risks from Disney's database and Apple's process. A resort guest who uses a MagicBand is only exposed to the risks from Disney's database. Using ApplePay does not eliminate the risks of having your card on file with Disney.

FWIW, I have no dog in this fight. I use my MagicBand but pay my balance down every night with gift cards so my credit card has nothing to do with my process.

My point is that if a person arrives at say World of Disney, and uses ApplePay to purchase a T-Shirt, it is more secure than using a MagicBand to make the purchase. (and yes, in this scenario, the person using Apple Pay is NOT staying at a WDW resort hotel - which is the hotel @donsullivan was describing)

If both are staying at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel, then both have a similar risk.

donsullivan

Premium Member
You mean Google Pay: name changing because of changes to the application with Android M.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/28/android-pay-android-m/

I was focused only on solutions I can use today vs future products. Since Android Pay required M it's likely to be some time before folks could migrate to that from the currently available Google Wallet solution. But yes, over time that will be an additional platform available for those with supported devices.

BJones82

I was focused only on solutions I can use today vs future products. Since Android Pay required M it's likely to be some time before folks could migrate to that from the currently available Google Wallet solution. But yes, over time that will be an additional platform available for those with supported devices.

Sorry my post sounded way more snarky than I meant it to it was meant to be more of a ha ha thing, the perfect face would have been :p in that post lol

Daniel Johnson

As much as I appreciate the tech involved in Apple Pay and Google Wallet...
I get paid in cash, I store my cash, I spend my cash. There isn't much of a protection plan, other than its well hidden. If I don't get to it, you won't either, and if by chance you do... I'll be right behind you. I've had my car broken into twice when on vacation, but they never found my stash. I have a hard drawn line in the sand about my spending limit. I know exactly what I can make it home with. I have an emergency amount, and if the chance that I am totally out of cash, I have a green dot card with more than enough, that is emptied when back at home.

You have your system, I have mine.

copcarguyp71

Sarcastic??!! Huh?!!?
Nope 100% genuine here, all real!
Not sure where that came from, was just stating my opinion & experience w Apple pay at WDW, that's all.

It was a kind of a harsh comment but I will also say it was an unusual first post for a new member. Typical first posts are either questions about going or pixie dust laden love letters. It kind of looked like a spammy sort of first post and I have to admit I owe you an apology because I thought that was as well.

Welcome to the boards!!! (Don't mention strollers, GAC, ECV's or busses) ;):grumpy:

Mouse_Trap

Just got back from another 3 day stay at WDW and the first time I used Apple Pay my entire stay for everything.

Let me say it was the easiest and most effortless trip ever.
It's accepted everywhere throughout WDW !

Yes I know about paying for purchases with your Magic Band, but Apple Pay is even easier and faster and more importantly SAFER!!!
With Magic Band you still have to enter your PIN code, not with Apple Pay!!!!

They don't have any stickers or advertise that they accept Apple Pay everywhere yet, but everyone (CMs) at WDW is used to dealing with it from the responses I saw.

I highly recommend it!

Wow, how revolutionary. I've been using the same technology since 2007....years before it was hijacked by Apple.

Have WDW only just got around to installing contactless?

On a serious note though, I am always surprised at card payments in the US (or at least the places I have visited), in the UK signing for transactions stopped in 2009 (Chip and Pin was intoduced in 2004). I always think of the US as a leader in technology, but here it seems it is seriously behind the times.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Wow, how revolutionary. I've been using the same technology since 2007....years before it was hijacked by Apple.

Have WDW only just got around to installing contactless?

On a serious note though, I am always surprised at card payments in the US (or at least the places I have visited), in the UK signing for transactions stopped in 2009 (Chip and Pin was intoduced in 2004). I always think of the US as a leader in technology, but here it seems it is seriously behind the times.
You had a payment system in 2007 that didn't require a signature or a pin code to enter?!?!

The beauty of Apple Pay is the sheer simplicity. No shoving cards into slots and entering in numbers on a keypad. It is maximum security, maximum simplicity. Chip and Pin is neither of those.

Mouse_Trap

You had a payment system in 2007 that didn't require a signature or a pin code to enter?!?!

The beauty of Apple Pay is the sheer simplicity. No shoving cards into slots and entering in numbers on a keypad. It is maximum security, maximum simplicity. Chip and Pin is neither of those.

Yes 2007, I got a Barclaycard credit card with contactless within a month or two of them issuing them. I think I still have it here somewhere, although it since expired and been replaced.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barclaycard#Contactless

I got my first contactless Debit card somewhat later in 2011, however in the early days the number of contactless payment terminals was quite limited, McDonalds and a couple of other large UK stores were the only ones using them everywhere. For the last few years contactless payments have become pretty ubiquitous especially in the major cities.

You have been able to use a contactless card across the entire London Underground since 2003 though using a proprietary system (however now you can use any standard contactless card).

Goofyernmost

As much as I appreciate the tech involved in Apple Pay and Google Wallet...
I get paid in cash, I store my cash, I spend my cash. There isn't much of a protection plan, other than its well hidden. If I don't get to it, you won't either, and if by chance you do... I'll be right behind you. I've had my car broken into twice when on vacation, but they never found my stash. I have a hard drawn line in the sand about my spending limit. I know exactly what I can make it home with. I have an emergency amount, and if the chance that I am totally out of cash, I have a green dot card with more than enough, that is emptied when back at home.

You have your system, I have mine.
Cool, all I can say is welcome to 1915. My Mother is due to be born in about three years. If you see her, say hi won't you?

Just kidding with you... If it works for you, who am I to complain. I do wonder though, what if someone stole your car, it wouldn't matter how well you hid your stash, it would still be gone wouldn't it?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Yes 2007, I got a Barclaycard credit card with contactless within a month or two of them issuing them. I think I still have it here somewhere, although it since expired and been replaced.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barclaycard#Contactless

I got my first contactless Debit card somewhat later in 2011, however in the early days the number of contactless payment terminals was quite limited, McDonalds and a couple of other large UK stores were the only ones using them everywhere. For the last few years contactless payments have become pretty ubiquitous especially in the major cities.

You have been able to use a contactless card across the entire London Underground since 2003 though using a proprietary system (however now you can use any standard contactless card).
Didn't those contactless with no pin have a very low limit, or still require a pin?

Jon81uk

Didn't those contactless with no pin have a very low limit, or still require a pin?

In the UK when contactless first came about (around 2008) very very few stores had readers, mainly cafes (such as Pret a Manger) and there was a limit of £15 for contactless as you don't need to enter a PIN. The limit is currently £20 for contactless and will increase to £30 later this year. Over the last two years or so many more retailers have changed their PIN terminals to incorporate contactless and the London Underground started accepting it last year too. The good thing for Apple Pay then compared to the USA is that the stores are already starting to use contactless.

Nowhere generally will take a signature now, it is contactless or PIN only. This is becuase in the UK, the banks made it a rule (to encourage stores to upgrade to chip and PIN) that if the store puts a transaction through with signature instead of a PIN and it is found to be fraud then the store is liable for the cost, not the bank. If chip and PIN or contactless is used then the bank will still pay the store in cases of fraud.

Mouse_Trap

Kind of, yes. No pin required and a lowish limit to minimise risk.
It's currently £20, that's about $30, though back in 2007 it was over $40. I find that's sufficient for most transactions where speed is most advantageous, I'm sure over time the limit will gradually increase.

Regarding Apple Pay, I can see it disappearing within a couple of years now that Visa and Mastercard have their own system for producing tokens.
Under the existing agreement Apple gets a fee everytime the system is used (0.15% of total transaction for credit card, $0.005 per transaction for debit card). This deal runs for 2 more years.

Google get nothing from transactions since they come to the party too late - after Visa and Mastercard had their token systems up and running.

The banks won't like Apple getting a cut now that Visa and Mastercard have their own transaction fee free systems, they will no doubt be trying to squeeze the Apple agreement hard.

Edit: I've just read that the Apple Pay rolling out in the UK is being limited to £20 ($30) per transaction - the same as other contactless payments. The restiction will be raised to £30 ($45) in September this year.

antneed

Original Poster
It was a kind of a harsh comment but I will also say it was an unusual first post for a new member. Typical first posts are either questions about going or pixie dust laden love letters. It kind of looked like a spammy sort of first post and I have to admit I owe you an apology because I thought that was as well.

Welcome to the boards!!! (Don't mention strollers, GAC, ECV's or busses) ;):grumpy:

Apology accepted, I've been a lurker for awhile and have done a lot of reading on here. Great information & board!

We have kiddos now and living pretty close to WDW we are becoming huge fans & visitors ourselves.
Thanks !

donsullivan

Premium Member
In the UK when contactless first came about (around 2008) very very few stores had readers, mainly cafes (such as Pret a Manger) and there was a limit of £15 for contactless as you don't need to enter a PIN. The limit is currently £20 for contactless and will increase to £30 later this year. Over the last two years or so many more retailers have changed their PIN terminals to incorporate contactless and the London Underground started accepting it last year too. The good thing for Apple Pay then compared to the USA is that the stores are already starting to use contactless.

Nowhere generally will take a signature now, it is contactless or PIN only. This is becuase in the UK, the banks made it a rule (to encourage stores to upgrade to chip and PIN) that if the store puts a transaction through with signature instead of a PIN and it is found to be fraud then the store is liable for the cost, not the bank. If chip and PIN or contactless is used then the bank will still pay the store in cases of fraud.

That same requirement for chip is 'finally' being applied here in the US in October of this year. Unfortunately, they've opted for a chip and sign model instead of chip and pin which to me is silly. But at least that transition will require lots of merchants to update their payment terminals and many can then choose to offer contactless payments as well expanding support.

The slowdown in the US was always the merchants pushing back on the cost of upgrading their equipment. After the recent card data breaches like Target and Home Depot (to name just a couple) if a merchant does not complete the upgrade to a chip based terminal they will be responsible for any fraudulent transactions processed at their location instead of the current way where the bank covers it. Since the banks just ate it before there was no incentive for the merchant to upgrade their equipment.

Daniel Johnson

Cool, all I can say is welcome to 1915. My Mother is due to be born in about three years. If you see her, say hi won't you?

Just kidding with you... If it works for you, who am I to complain. I do wonder though, what if someone stole your car, it wouldn't matter how well you hid your stash, it would still be gone wouldn't it?
Ha, I never considered someone stealing my car. Gonna have to rethink that!

Mouse_Trap

That same requirement for chip is 'finally' being applied here in the US in October of this year. Unfortunately, they've opted for a chip and sign model instead of chip and pin which to me is silly. But at least that transition will require lots of merchants to update their payment terminals and many can then choose to offer contactless payments as well expanding support.

The slowdown in the US was always the merchants pushing back on the cost of upgrading their equipment. After the recent card data breaches like Target and Home Depot (to name just a couple) if a merchant does not complete the upgrade to a chip based terminal they will be responsible for any fraudulent transactions processed at their location instead of the current way where the bank covers it. Since the banks just ate it before there was no incentive for the merchant to upgrade their equipment.

Any idea why they went with the signing option? Seems quite strange, especially, at least in my experience, the cashier rarely even looks at the back of the card to see if the signature is even remotely similar.

It seems to me that changing to chip and sign will only help reduce card cloning and not the use of stolen cards. A missed opportunity IMO.

I think over here it is more common for the payment terminals to be rented by the merchant from the card companies, thus I presume there is less of an upgrade cost for retailers.

BJones82

Any idea why they went with the signing option? Seems quite strange, especially, at least in my experience, the cashier rarely even looks at the back of the card to see if the signature is even remotely similar.

It seems to me that changing to chip and sign will only help reduce card cloning and not the use of stolen cards. A missed opportunity IMO.

I think over here it is more common for the payment terminals to be rented by the merchant from the card companies, thus I presume there is less of an upgrade cost for retailers.

I'm guessing it has to do with retailers lobbying so they don't have to be responsible for use of stolen debit cards as much... Gotta love it, if you can pay you get what you want in a law in the U.S. not exactly what our founding fathers wanted... Sorry rant over...

Back on topic it is good to see some form of enhanced security coming to this country

Mouse_Trap

I'm guessing it has to do with retailers lobbying so they don't have to be responsible for use of stolen debit cards as much... Gotta love it, if you can pay you get what you want in a law in the U.S. not exactly what our founding fathers wanted... Sorry rant over...

Back on topic it is good to see some form of enhanced security coming to this country

I think you may have missed my point, apologies if not.

Chip and Sign is the less secure method against Chip and PIN. I thought it seems strange that they would choose the more expensive and less secure method when having to upgrade regardless.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom