AP Room rates if you've joined DVC

slappy magoo

Original Poster
As always, my apologies if this question has been asked.

My soon-to-be-fiancee and I are thinking about going in on the DVC. Big question is how many points will be appropriate. My thought is, we may skip a year or two, maybe use a few points for weekend getaways elsewhere, then buy the discounted Annual Pass and go to WDW 2 or 3 times in a single year. 1 or 2 years off, then do it all again.

One thing I like about the point system is that you can use it for lodging in the regular hotels as well as the DVC resorts. What I don't like is how you seem to use more of your points at non-DVC resorts. I can understand why they do it, but it doesn't mean I have to like it, knowhutimean, Vern?

I'm sure y'all can see where I'm going with this.

If I buy a discounted AP because I'm a DVC member, am I allowed to use that AP to get the same discounted room rates as Passholders who AREN'T DVC members? I figure that way, I can use my allotted pointes to get a DVC resort room, and if I feel like going before a year's up, rather than borrow next year's points, I can just get a discounted room rate like any other passholder.

OR, do DVC Passholders have a different kind of annual pass that would prevent a booking at a non-DVC resort from going through using the codes? Or worse, you get the booking, then when you arrive and show them your annual pass, they go "Oh! I'm sorry! This pass is invalid for this rate! You'll have to work the kitchen to pay off the difference. MORTIMER! Two Aprons, Stat!"

Anyway, there's my question, in a big ol' nutshell.

goofyman

Not sure about the Ap question, but I would go with at least 200 points, then you prob won't have to worry about the Ap question

DisneyPhD

Ok, we thought the same thing. We are in a constant state of borrowing.

We have 170 points, we need more, but we make the 170 work. There are ways of doing this. Some of them are the ideas you are talking about.

Yes you can get an AP with the DVC discount and it is the same as any other AP. Our biggest problem is once you go DVC you don't want to go back. Another way to strech points is stay in a studio on the weekend or another resort and move to the DVC resort Sun-Thrusday nights. The weekend are double the points of weeknights. Once you get an AP you want to go more often then once a year too, this leads to "extra trips".

Another options is paying cash for the same DVC room on the weekend. You can do this with a 25% DVC discount (only good for DVC rooms.)

We just went a few weeks ago. We are going back in May with a email code for PORS (the 1st time staying at a non DVC resort since joining) and then over to VB for 3 nights, (only 10 points a night for an Inn room.) :)

Good luck, yes you can make it work. We wish we had more points. We really like a one bedroom, but can make it work with a studio and that way we get more trips in. Someday we might actually bank points, but not any time soon. :lookaroun

Oh if you get the AP, get the DDE too, it really adds up!

slappy magoo

Original Poster
Thanks to both of you! And I already considered a lot of what you both said (though I didn't know DVC members gets 25% off of DVC rooms if points run out).

We currently have APs (AND DDE). I want to get around 215 points, budget permitting. But like I said, we don't intend to go to WDW every year. Maybe use the points on a hotel in the Passport Collection, and then a few days at Hilton Head or Vero Beach one or two years, THEN get APs again and go down two or 3 times in a 12-month period.

Knowing that you can still get AP rates with a discounted pass is a load off my mind. It just seems that, if we wanted to get an AKL Savannah room, or get on one of the monorail hotels, it's not worth using the DVC points on it. But getting one of those rooms for a few days on the AP rate, then going to a DVC resort, would be awesome. New question: If you're moving from resort to resort, does WDW offer baggage transfer, or do you have to carry your stuff over to the new resort yourself?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom