AP Discount Hassle

DisneyFanatic12

At least at my friends location, the preferred method is Disney MagicMobile with an ID. ID is always to be checked due to exploitation. Granted, I don’t get why a MagicMobile pass is supposedly more secure than a regular ticket, because I’d much rather share a screenshot of my pass than my physical card!

Anyways, they’re also (usually) trained to accept the most recent AP card (you can pick it up at guest relations). They’ll sometimes take the MDE app, but they aren’t usually trained on that, so it varies from CM to CM.

But yes, the preferred way is showing them the text that proves your benefits in your Apple Wallet. No matter what you do, an ID is always required according to their training (though they might not always check).

As people stated above, they don’t want to make your life difficult, but rather have to follow rules before redeeming it due to people like the dreaded EBay resellers.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

I don’t think I’ve ever been asked for an ID along with my digital magic key for a discount at Disneyland.

Maybe at a Merch stand when making a big purchase? But I don’t recall it. And definitely not when making smaller purchases.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
In three years I've not once been asked for an ID for a discount. I've used both the app and also my mobile wallet, but the wallet part seemed to throw some off from not being seen much. I realize this is unusual.

My recent discount hassle was from not knowing that Via Napoli does not do AP discounts on July 4. I didn't realize there were date exclusions. If someone has a link to date exclusions that'd be helpful for future planning.

MagicRat

They give you a card when you get your AP and you need an ID. What is so hard with this policy? Anyone, even kids can get a state iID. Now if someone wants to complain about Disney taking away DVC cards for a digital one, that is another story. Still the discount with either pass is a perk not a guarantee, even if it was always given.

For the year and a half after Covid when I didn’t have an AP and a cast member needed to see my DVC digital card, I would have to go to the website and pull it up. Depending on cell or Wi-Fi strength, it could take awhile (especially Vero Beach) the cast member didn’t complain and I didn’t either about the time it took. I could have saved it to my photos but I didn’t want it in the photo library, blame it on OCD. If someone would have complained, I would have replied but it never happened :)

MagicRat

What is the policy?
Here you go, this is copied from Disneyworld.com under merchandise discounts for AP.

“Each Guest must present a valid Annual Pass card and government-issued photo ID at time of purchase to receive the discount. Discount may not be combined with any other discount, offer or promotion. Discount is for personal use only and..”

I hope this helps everyone out,

MagicRat

What is the policy?
I also believe they give you a small booklet (card sized) when you pickup your AP. I don’t keep them as I know what most of the policies are from previous years. We take a quick read of it and throw it away, if anyone on the board still has their booklet, I would wager the info is in there as well.

Ayla

Here you go, this is copied from Disneyworld.com under merchandise discounts for AP.

“Each Guest must present a valid Annual Pass card and government-issued photo ID at time of purchase to receive the discount. Discount may not be combined with any other discount, offer or promotion. Discount is for personal use only and..”

I hope this helps everyone out,
That's great, but some CM's won't accept the card, even with ID. They insist on seeing your AP entitlement in MDE. So, again, sloppy training.

MagicRat

That's great, but some CM's won't accept the card, even with ID. They insist on seeing your AP entitlement in MDE. So, again, sloppy training.
Well then I would kindly ask the cast member to go to the Disney website and read the terms I presented to you or if you just want to ask for a manager and tell them to read the terms. I would then walk over to guest relations, tell them the problem and get an anytime lighting lane :)

The point is be nice but firm. Don’t let this stuff get you angry :)

Ayla

Well then I would kindly ask the cast member to go to the Disney website and read the terms I presented to you or if you just want to ask for a manager and tell them to read the terms. I would then walk over to guest relations, tell them the problem and get an anytime lighting lane :)

The point is be nice but firm. Don’t let this stuff get you angry :)
Yeah, not my responsibility to make sure Disney trains their CM's properly (I haven't had an AP since 2019, but I remember how inconsistent they were, even then).

celluloid

Is it Disney or the guests that ruined the experience and made Disney react.
I might be in the minority, but I think overall Disney wants people to have the easiest funnest trip possible. But Scalpers, the internet (nice things Disney used to do disappeared after it ended up on social media and everyone expected it), Ebay and just people abusing the rules has made Disney make things harder.

Do you really think the cast members want to say no or frustrate guests and maybe get cussed out...
I don't think anyone wants it but hostility displacement is real.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
They give you a card when you get your AP and you need an ID.

I have not received a card my last two renewals because they've moved from in-person activation to immediate activation. In the past I'd be given a card at guest services when activating but now that I don't go to guest services I don't have a card. That said, I have no problem using an app.

MagicRat

I have not received a card my last two renewals because they've moved from in-person activation to immediate activation. In the past I'd be given a card at guest services when activating but now that I don't go to guest services I don't have a card. That said, I have no problem using an app.
Looks like you got it all figured out!

eliza61nyc

You're right. I always say I have a lot more "zen" than it seems people here have. again having to take 60 seconds to show my credentials on my phone even if that's not the policy won't cause a meltdown in my world. My bad, like I said I'm trying to see the big "inconvenience" that's all.
I wonder if Op was ever denied the discount?

TrainsOfDisney

You're right. I always say I have a lot more "zen" than it seems people here have.
I try to always have “zen” as well, but that doesn’t mean I’m not frustrated with the system. I hate having to show my pass on my phone and would much rather just show a card. (At Disneyland it’s not an option, it has to be digital. I think if you buy the AP in person you can get a physical card still but I was told it’s not an option for me.)

I also don’t like giving my phone to a server who takes it to a register to scan.

Does it ruin my day at Disney? Of course not.

MickeyLuv'r

Do you really think the cast members want to say no or frustrate guests and maybe get cussed out, if they could avoid it?
Do you really think I did not report an actual interaction? 'Cause it sure sounds like you think I'm not telling the truth.
And I am sure their managers would rather all guests leave with a smile on their face and buy more stuff. Theres also time. IF they just accepted anything the transaction would be much quicker and lines in stores shorter, when you have to fumble for your card, complain, open an app or call someone for a proof, then complain to a manager that all takes time that makes lines longer and frustrates customers, all things Disney tries to avoid.
This is some laughable fiction you've written.😀

First, nobody else in the store.

And everything your made up after that is even further from reality.

I'm worried about you.

MickeyLuv'r

Wow, one cm makes a mistake and we have a meltdown?? I'm trying to understand the drama?? A cm asks for the AP on the phone and caused a 4 minute inconvenience??

I'm sorry, I'm trying to follow along and see what was done so egregious? They requested the pass and i.d.
If it was a reasonably polite request with an explanation, that would be okay. That isn't what happened to me. though I was polite.

Funny thing is, the SECOND time a CM asked to see the AP ticket in my phone they did me a favor. When I opened it up I discovered that WDW had taken over $1,100 worth of tickets from our account!

1. Before we used the AP's, we very carefully asked the Guest Relations CM to make sure the AP was properly prioritized. It wasn't.

2. now when I discovered the error, THAT mistake did put me a little beyond happy. It was rather stressful to discover all that money was missing. If I had not happened to see they were gone THAT day, I just would have been out of luck, because they would have disappeared from my account. THAT is TERRIBLE!

Part of why it was so frustrating is because before THAT I had no end of problems with my most recent AP. When I went to pick it up, we spent over an hour at GS because the CM could not get 'the system' to work.

Then for 5 days after that, EVERY TIME I entered a park, I was held up. Being held up 10-15minutes is kind of a big deal. We repeatedly lost out on Early Entry, we were late to ADR's, and we were held up for 20minutes of a PM extra hour. through it all, I tried to be polite, but each CM assured me they had fixed the problem.

On top of that, few of my magicbands have ever worked properly. Most of the time, they do not work to open the hotel room door. So mostly, I can't travel alone, because my band won't open the hotel door. The pluses of the plus bands didn't work, so that was also time and $ wasted.

I assure you, it is not magical to be accused of theft when I did nothing wrong and spent thousands of dollars to be at WDW.

Getting the tickets reinstated took 90+minutes and ruined ANOTHER vacation afternoon.

Many CM's are nice, and the CM who helped reinstate our tickets was very understanding. It took her a long time, but she was polite though it all.

Now though....the lost tickets are merely a number that is somewhere in WDW's system. I do not have anything physical to prove they exist. I am supposed to go to GR with that number when I want to use them. And that's all we have. But otherwise I was told WDW would only have been able to give us ticket that expired within a few days.

I could go on....

ppete1975

I try to always have “zen” as well, but that doesn’t mean I’m not frustrated with the system. I hate having to show my pass on my phone and would much rather just show a card. (At Disneyland it’s not an option, it has to be digital. I think if you buy the AP in person you can get a physical card still but I was told it’s not an option for me.)

I also don’t like giving my phone to a server who takes it to a register to scan.

Does it ruin my day at Disney? Of course not.
I dont blame you not wanting to give your phone to someone to walk around with, Ive had experiences at other businesses where they take your credit card and go to another register and sometimes out of view and that is enough anxiety. Also you have to unlock your phone to give it to them, which is not a great thing.

Glad it doesnt ruin your day :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom