AP Discount Hassle

Takeitforgranite

Original Poster
My family just completed just completed our first trip as AP holders. I have three kids from 11 to 16 that saved though covid to buy their own APs. We like to teach them about being responsible with their finances, so at WDW, we give them independence to purchase their own merch and snacks.

When we arrived, I went to guest services because I assumed at the least the kids would need physical AP cards, since two of them don't have cell phones. The cast member offered to give us some, but insisted that they "don't do anything". I just said no thanks, if there was no point.

We quickly found out that cast members everywhere were asking my kids for ID and/or AP cars in order to give the discount. I had to come show them my pass on my phone. One day 2, I went back to guest services and got cards for the kids. They continued to get asked for ID, but mostly still gave the discount if the purchase price was low.

All-in-all, it was a bit of a hassle getting the most out of our AP discounts. Some of the restaurants asked in advance, others didn't. No other merch store ever asked and made it inconvenient.

I use my magic band to enter the park and easily make purchases, but I have to have a dated AP card and ID to get a discount on a Buzz Lightyear bubble machine inside the park?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
My family just completed just completed our first trip as AP holders. I have three kids from 11 to 16 that saved though covid to buy their own APs. We like to teach them about being responsible with their finances, so at WDW, we give them independence to purchase their own merch and snacks.

When we arrived, I went to guest services because I assumed at the least the kids would need physical AP cards, since two of them don't have cell phones. The cast member offered to give us some, but insisted that they "don't do anything". I just said no thanks, if there was no point.

We quickly found out that cast members everywhere were asking my kids for ID and/or AP cars in order to give the discount. I had to come show them my pass on my phone. One day 2, I went back to guest services and got cards for the kids. They continued to get asked for ID, but mostly still gave the discount if the purchase price was low.

All-in-all, it was a bit of a hassle getting the most out of our AP discounts. Some of the restaurants asked in advance, others didn't. No other merch store ever asked and made it inconvenient.

I use my magic band to enter the park and easily make purchases, but I have to have a dated AP card and ID to get a discount on a Buzz Lightyear bubble machine inside the park?

It's a change this year due to abuse by people loaning out their cards. Go to any of the customer experience teams and ask for the proper way to identify AP status for the cast members. Not all of the back office systems are linked to the admission credential system that can prove the magic band or key card is currently valid and matches the biometric signature for that person (or picture if there's been a problem with finger registration). Magic Band "payment" isnt like a contactless Google, Samsung, or Apple transaction as it's a transaction added to your Disney hotel folio.

We were told the current proper way is to show via MDE under Tickets and Passes, your current entitlement.

Hcalvert

Yep. When I went earlier this month and last month, they didn't want to see the physical card since it did not have an expiration date. They made me open the app and show them the AP under tickets and passes. It seems that is the new policy, but not everyone follows it. In March, my son was on a band trip and tried to use his AP and they gave him a hassle even though he had the physical card and I put a screenshot of the digital one on his phone. They wanted an ID. He was 14 at the time and didn't have one.

MickeyLuv'r

I have experienced variability in CM's as well. I thought it was laughable when I had to BOTH show my AP in MDE AND show photo ID to get my 60 cent discount off of a shopping bag. Most CM's were fine with plastic AP card + ID. I keep AP and ID together, so I just automatically pull both out before I get to register.

It is SO typical of WDW though. They advertise that you can get the discount, but then make it as much of a hassle as possible. It is this kind of stupidity that adds up to WDW not being anywhere near as relaxing or fun as it could be.

The CM who hassled me over the 60 cents was just not remotely polite. It felt like she was accusing me of something nefarious, and that is not my idea of 'fun vacation.'

Last edited:

MickeyLuv'r

It's a change this year due to abuse by people loaning out their cards. Go to any of the customer experience teams and ask for the proper way to identify AP status for the cast members. Not all of the back office systems are linked to the admission credential system that can prove the magic band or key card is currently valid and matches the biometric signature for that person (or picture if there's been a problem with finger registration). Magic Band "payment" isnt like a contactless Google, Samsung, or Apple transaction as it's a transaction added to your Disney hotel folio.

We were told the current proper way is to show via MDE under Tickets and Passes, your current entitlement.
All of this on Disney, IMO. They advertise a discount offer, but then they make it hard to get said discount, so people don't bother with it. Because who wants to spend their vacation being hassled?

Getting an AP discount at Universal has never been a hassle. It is just one of myriad ways Universal treats parkgoers better than WDW does.

The plastic AP should have a photo, or else the system should be able to verify electronically. If they can't, well, most places the discount is somewhat negligible anyhow. IMO, the whole thing is somewhat of a joke, because WDW merchandise is so overpriced.

I used to buy more, but all of the above = I rarely buy anything at WDW. All in all, I think hassling people just hurts WDW.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I haven't used the card for years now. Did they start printing the name and expiration date of the AP on the back of that card again? That was the key reason that the card stopped being useful for Passholder discounts. The last Card I had actually had my name written on the back with a Sharpie (I kid you not) and as a result, they would not accept it for Passholder discounts. I just use MobileMagic since it came out and show the pass with the barcode and expiration date on my phone.

DisneyFanatic12

I haven't used the card for years now. Did they start printing the name and expiration date of the AP on the back of that card again? That was the key reason that the card stopped being useful for Passholder discounts. The last Card I had actually had my name written on the back with a Sharpie (I kid you not) and as a result, they would not accept it for Passholder discounts. I just use MobileMagic since it came out and show the pass with the barcode and expiration date on my phone.
Magic mobile works, MDE works, and a physical card works. Heck, it doesn’t even have to be an AP card. Just a card. I typically use the Magic Mobile, as it lists all the benefits on the screen.

Not sure why people think checking an ID is new for the AP discount… I’ve had an AP since 2010, and I have family member who have had an AP since 2000… we’ve always had to use an ID. You can use a photo of your ID too, doesn’t need to be the physical ID card…

I’ve only ever had one rude CM (and I go to the parks 3-4 times a week), which I quickly reported to their leader. I’m sorry the card didn’t work for you, but I don’t know anyone having any issue with the discount. I will say though, Magic Mobile is the recommended way to use your discount, as it says in writing what benefits you’re elegible for.

aladdin2007

We normally don't have a problem, we show the pass card and photo id when they ask. Some dont ask at all, they just see the pass card and say thats fine which is really how it should be anyway....but every once in awhile we get a castmember (whom is never friendly about it) and demands to see the pass thing on the phone. (seems to always be the one having a bad day wanting to start a verbal fight) Even with the card and photo id right in front of them. I refuse to stand there with a line of people behind me and have to dig out the phone, get into the app, log in etc etc when trying to pay, its hard enough as it is. For now on instead of putting up with it, just demand to see a manager. They have plenty of them standing around doing nothing.

Disstevefan1

Yes, I never liked this about getting your AP discounts. They have done for as long as I can remember.

gitchard

Got my discount a couple of times over the last month with no issue. Pulled the card out of my wallet and showed it to them. They then asked to see an ID, showed them my ID and that was it. Got the discount.

I do think they need to drop the card and let me tap my magic band for AP discount. I would still understand needing to show ID to confirm it is my band.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Disney is prudish when it comes to AP discounts and I have been nasty to several CMs and their coordinators before over their inconsistency with the policy. I just come prepared with all media types because I haven no interest in getting yelled at by a cashier over a couple cents, especially when I pay nearly $900 for my pass. Meanwhile, over at SeaWorld I can use my AP for discounts on food, drinks (including beer), merchandise, and a whole slew of other items without being treated like a criminal committing fraud.

ppete1975

I have experienced variability in CM's as well. I thought it was laughable when I had to BOTH show my AP in MDE AND show photo ID to get my 60 cent discount off of a shopping bag. Most CM's were fine with plastic AP card + ID. I keep AP and ID together, so I just automatically pull both out before I get to register.

It is SO typical of WDW though. They advertise that you can get the discount, but then make it as much of a hassle as possible. It is this kind of stupidity that adds up to WDW not being anywhere near as relaxing or fun as it could be.

The CM who hassled me over the 60 cents was just not remotely polite. It felt like she was accusing me of something nefarious, and that is not my idea of 'fun vacation.'
Is it Disney or the guests that ruined the experience and made Disney react.
I might be in the minority, but I think overall Disney wants people to have the easiest funnest trip possible. But Scalpers, the internet (nice things Disney used to do disappeared after it ended up on social media and everyone expected it), Ebay and just people abusing the rules has made Disney make things harder.

Do you really think the cast members want to say no or frustrate guests and maybe get cussed out, if they could avoid it. And I am sure their managers would rather all guests leave with a smile on their face and buy more stuff. Theres also time. IF they just accepted anything the transaction would be much quicker and lines in stores shorter, when you have to fumble for your card, complain, open an app or call someone for a proof, then complain to a manager that all takes time that makes lines longer and frustrates customers, all things Disney tries to avoid.

Lil Copter Cap

Having worked retail for a vast majority of my life, fault can definitely be on either consumer or employee. But I will say, as a local who visits often as an AP, I've had little issue with the new process once I learned it. (But I acknowledge that it can be different for everyone, especially where technology is concerned.)

The only time I was slightly frustrated with a CM: It was earlier this year and they assumed I knew the process and proclaimed, "It's fine. I'll just trust that you're really an AP holder." I felt like my integrity was being questioned, so I took the extra time to ask "Will you please show me what you need to see on my phone to confirm my status? I've been an Annual Passholder for years and this seems like a new process." She was clearly annoyed with my question, which felt odd as I just wanted to fulfill her original request. I just didn't know how.

The fault definitely falls on discount abusers. Disney had to make changes. I also wish it was easier to know how to access your ticket initially. You really do need to be shown the process once before you can prep before every transaction.

Ayla

The most irritating thing about trying to use the AP discount is the inconsistency in CM's. There needs to be a straightforward, clear policy on what is needed to use it and it needs to be communicated to every single CM in a public facing role. Is the plastic card acceptable with ID? Are we required to show the AP in MDE? Or, here's a BRILLIANT idea...have it show up when the magic band is scanned. I don't know why Disney insists on making everything so damn hard.

HAVE A CLEAR POLICY AND STICK TO IT.

TrainsOfDisney

At Disneyland I had a server take my phone in order to scan the code at her computer - I couldn’t believe Disney would allow servers to do that since it opens up so much liability.

The old cards were the way to go and whoever thought up the phone / app thing really is clueless.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom