AOA vs Pop Century

Sunshine1

Original Poster
Will be traveling with a 3 and 6 yr old. Love the little mermaid room vibe but worried it will be too much walking compared to a pop century preferred room. We stayed at all star movies last Oct and liked the Disney deco. Wanted a different place. Don’t want to spend the money on a suite. Should we go with aoa or pop century?

Mireille

Premium Member
I stayed at AoA in a Little Mermaid room last October and I'm staying at Pop in a preferred room this August. I'm glad I stayed at AoA, the outside theming is so much more Disney to me, but even as an avid runner, at the end of the day the walk back to the room felt long. Plus, my preferred room at Pop is going to be less expensive than a Little Mermaid room at AoA. And the theming in the room was kinda meh. But I will miss sitting outside for breakfast and hearing the seagulls start shouting "mine! mine!" to start the day.

Dad 2 M & M

The Pop Rooms have lost their theme but the Skyliner is great. The Little Mermaid section is quite a walk to ANY transportation;especially the Skyliner.

Pop 50s BLDG 3 the closest standard room(s) to equidistant between buses and Skyliner…

60s preferred in central to both…

Smiley/OCD

We’ve stayed at both resorts several times…agree with everyone else..if you need a larger room, a suite at AoA is perfect..for a “standard” room, POP is the way to go hands down!
As far as the skyliner goes, it serves both resorts. Choose POP…you won’t regret it! If you have extra time, take a walk over to AoA…you’ll see how long of a walk it actually is. Enjoy!!

esskay

Stayed at both (Nemo Suite at AoA and ground floor main pool room at Pop). If we're going purely on price I'd say Pop. Also for the same type of room over at AoA it means staying in the Mermaid section, which is a bit of a trek. For less than the price of that you can get a preferred room at Pop and be close to the main building and skyliner so its a no brainer.

The only thing I will say is both resorts restaurants have massively dropped in quality, and now have virtually identical (poor) menus, but given you've got the skyliner there its very easy to hop over to CBR, Riviera or any of the resorts over at the boardwalk to grab a bite when you inevitably get bored of the options at PoP/AoA.

Dad 2 M & M

Crazy it is only a bit longer walk “outside” Hourglass lake to get from AoA LM section to the Skyliner (via the 50s Section at Pop) than just walking through AoA…

LeighM

I've been disappointed in a lot of Disney's quick service menu changes. I loved that they used to be themed to the restaurant with unique options and not the same boring menu everywhere that they currently have. I'm glad that the Port Orleans resorts still have gumbo and jambalaya even if they did remove the create your own pasta station from POR (such a bad decision!!!).

esskay

I've been disappointed in a lot of Disney's quick service menu changes. I loved that they used to be themed to the restaurant with unique options and not the same boring menu everywhere that they currently have. I'm glad that the Port Orleans resorts still have gumbo and jambalaya even if they did remove the create your own pasta station from POR (such a bad decision!!!).
Yeah the recent menus have been pretty mediocre at most resorts. AoA and Pop especially have awful menus now, both of which are near identical.

I can also only assume someone accidentally ordered too much chicken as pretty much every damn quick service has the same "Limited time special" Korean chicken offering, along side the generic and dull pizza, pasta, salad, burger and sandwich.

LeighM

Yeah the recent menus have been pretty mediocre at most resorts. AoA and Pop especially have awful menus now, both of which are near identical.

I can also only assume someone accidentally ordered too much chicken as pretty much every damn quick service has the same "Limited time special" Korean chicken offering, along side the generic and dull pizza, pasta, salad, burger and sandwich.

I was sad to see the changes because one of the reasons I used to want to stay at AoA was the better quick service options. I know some didn't stay at CBR because the menu used to be "too adventurous" for them after the resort's last renovation. Now, the same boring options are found everywhere because it's the safer option, I guess. But let's be honest, most of the "adventurous" food was never very spicy, hot, etc. anyways LOL. It's just yet another way that Disney has stepped away from the immersive theming that they used to do. The resort room renovations are less in your face Disney, the food options are identical and boring. I would get annoyed at Disney for the changes but then I talk to friends who didn't stay at CBR because the tropical foods were too scary and they didn't stay at CSR because their kids were afraid of Spanish inspired food. Then I was like "It's your frickin fault Disney is doing what they're doing!!!!!" LOL :joyfull:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom