AoA-Value To Moderate?

Raineman

Original Poster
Has AoA become so popular that it has moved from a Value resort to a Moderate resort in a year? It was a value priced resort in Mar 2014 when we last visited WDW, and now it has been pushed into the Moderate price range on the WDW website. You can book Caribbean Beach or Port Orleans for a lower price than AoA. IMO, given the location of AoA and it's distance from MK/Epcot, it should always be a Value priced resort, albeit the highest priced resort in that category.

JasonDeyoung

I think part of it is because they have a very limited amount of standard rooms (little mermaid). I know anytime Ive ever priced it, the rates were usually right in between say Pop and Port Orleans. It's a pretty popular resort and I know a lot of ppl think it should be a moderate. That and it is still fairly new

bethymouse

I never understood how Disney could put a "value" resort on AofA.:confused: The Little Mermaid rooms were the only value rooms. In terms of deluxe prices for the family suites, I guess because All Star Music is value... I just don't get it. The suites are very pricey! 350$ plus! But, yet again everything at Disney is pricey, and going up!:eek:

JasonDeyoung

I never understood how Disney could put a "value" resort on AofA.:confused: The Little Mermaid rooms were the only value rooms. In terms of deluxe prices for the family suites, I guess because All Star Music is value... I just don't get it. The suites are very pricey! 350$ plus! But, yet again everything at Disney is pricey, and going up!:eek:
I think cause it's connected to Pop and was supposed to be part of Pop was part of it. No idea just seems logical haha

Mouse_Trap

Value because it's a motel which was partially built to be the remaining decades for Pop (half) Century.
IIRC, there is something about the suites there which isn't common in other Disney resorts. Do they hold an extra person or something?

It's price is just due to supply/demand. If people think it should be a moderate....it just shows how Disney has brainwashed them into expectations.
There's no way that any of the Disney motels come anywhere near what I'd expect from a 'moderate' class elsewhere.

Raineman

Original Poster
Value because it's a motel which was partially built to be the remaining decades for Pop (half) Century.
IIRC, there is something about the suites there which isn't common in other Disney resorts. Do they hold an extra person or something?

It's price is just due to supply/demand. If people think it should be a moderate....it just shows how Disney has brainwashed them into expectations.
There's no way that any of the Disney motels come anywhere near what I'd expect from a 'moderate' class elsewhere.
I stayed in the Family suite at AoA Lion King section last year. There was a queen or king sized bed in an enclosed bedroom, a fold out sofa bed in the "living room" area, and a bed which folded down from the wall onto the table near the door. This might be what you are talking about, as you could sleep 6 people in that suite if needed (2 in each bed). Are there any other resorts with suites like this at WDW?

Mouse_Trap

I stayed in the Family suite at AoA Lion King section last year. There was a queen or king sized bed in an enclosed bedroom, a fold out sofa bed in the "living room" area, and a bed which folded down from the wall onto the table near the door. This might be what you are talking about, as you could sleep 6 people in that suite if needed (2 in each bed). Are there any other resorts with suites like this at WDW?
I think maybe that other suites sleep 5, someone here will know for sure though.

Club Cooloholic

Here is another tidbit...and maybe the DW reservationist was not correct but when I booked this year I asked about promos etc and she said that since it opened there has never been any discount promo applicable to the Little Mermaid rooms.

princessmommy

Here is another tidbit...and maybe the DW reservationist was not correct but when I booked this year I asked about promos etc and she said that since it opened there has never been any discount promo applicable to the Little Mermaid rooms.

This is true. The Little Mermaid rooms book solid without promos, so there is no need to have promos to fill the rooms.

princessmommy

All star Music has suites that sleep 6.

Coronado also has suites.

Then there are the cabins that sleep 6. And 1,2,3 bedroom villas and the deluxe villas.

princessmommy

AOA is a value resort. The suites cost in the moderate/deluxe range because they are suites. little Mermaid rooms are only slightly higher than Pop Century preferred rooms.
The resort itself still only offers value amenities. Food Court, toiletries, no pool slides, etc.... Plus it is still the value resort type buildings which are just the standard motel structure with statue decorations.

popcenturylover

This actually is not true because the year they opened(12') we were booked at POP with free dining & when they announced the LMR would open a week before our trip I called & switched to stay there. We also got free dining! It was great especially, since there have been no discounts applicable on those rooms since!

Tom P.

I think it has always been a bit of a misnomer to call AoA a value resort.

Yes, it is true that AoA doesn't have some of the things that typically are needed to categorize a resort as a moderate. For example, there is no actual sit down, table service restaurant at AoA. However, the Landscape of Flavors food court seems, by all accounts, to be absolutely amazing and something entirely different from just about anything called a food court anywhere else on property.

Also, AoA is much more themed to appeal to children, while the moderate resorts typically have a more "adult" theming with a bit more elegance. But to the audience they are trying to draw, including my family, that is a positive, not a negative.

AoA is definitely a cut above any other value resort on property, by a mile. If not a moderate, it should be put into a new category in between value and moderate.

crosswagon

This actually is not true because the year they opened(12') we were booked at POP with free dining & when they announced the LMR would open a week before our trip I called & switched to stay there. We also got free dining! It was great especially, since there have been no discounts applicable on those rooms since!

We also got the free dining with the LMR the first year they opened but we really missed PoP and switched after 2 nights. We were at the back close to the connecting bridge and kept looking over at PoP so we decided to change.

Raineman

Original Poster
I think it has always been a bit of a misnomer to call AoA a value resort.

Yes, it is true that AoA doesn't have some of the things that typically are needed to categorize a resort as a moderate. For example, there is no actual sit down, table service restaurant at AoA. However, the Landscape of Flavors food court seems, by all accounts, to be absolutely amazing and something entirely different from just about anything called a food court anywhere else on property.

Also, AoA is much more themed to appeal to children, while the moderate resorts typically have a more "adult" theming with a bit more elegance. But to the audience they are trying to draw, including my family, that is a positive, not a negative.

AoA is definitely a cut above any other value resort on property, by a mile. If not a moderate, it should be put into a new category in between value and moderate.

I agree 100% with everything you said lol. As AoA is the only Disney resort I have ever been to, I really don't have any personal experience to compare to, but I thoroughly enjoyed staying there. Landscape Of Flavors is excellent-I am still jonesing for the breakfast burger and hashbrowns I had there. The theming is well done, and the main pool, while slide-less, is huge, and the Nemo theme is perfect. Plus, my daughter, who was 8 at the time, loved it. At this point, with our next trip planned for early 2016, I'd rather pay a bit less to go to Caribbean Beach or Port Orleans for a different resort experience.

daisyduckie

I have to disagree with you. To me, AoA is overly themed, to the point that it off putting.:cautious: Give me an All Star any day over AoA.

Courtney6682

Has AoA become so popular that it has moved from a Value resort to a Moderate resort in a year? It was a value priced resort in Mar 2014 when we last visited WDW, and now it has been pushed into the Moderate price range on the WDW website. You can book Caribbean Beach or Port Orleans for a lower price than AoA. IMO, given the location of AoA and it's distance from MK/Epcot, it should always be a Value priced resort, albeit the highest priced resort in that category.

This is part of the reason we havbe't stayed there yet...I can't justify paying ''moderate'' prices for a ''value'' hotel..maybe I'm just a weirdo tho...because the Little Mermaid Rooms are soooo freakin adorable...but if I can stay moderate...why not?;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom