Anyone have suggestions for good books on Imagineering?

kik4adog

Original Poster
I am trying to find a good book on Disney Imagineering. I am particularly interested in behind the scenes info and pictures of the different rides while under construction.

But I am also interested in the construction and design of the parks in general. Most book stores do not carry books like these so I'll need to order one online. Since I can't really look at a book online before I buy it I was wonderng if someone knew first hand of some good book titles which have the type of information that I'm looking for.
Thanks

~Bryan~

kcnole

They've recently released two books called the Imagineering Field Guides. There's one for the Magic Kingdom and one for Epcot. These probably don't go as in depth as you are hoping they do, they didn't for me, but there is a great deal to learn and they're well worth the 10 dollar price tag.

CaptainMichael

I'm pretty sure there is a hardcover Imagineering book along with the field guides that kcnole mentioned.

I love the field guides. In them, you will find Imagineering terminology, concept art, construction pics, stories. They also go into forced perspective, weenies, research and development, and such.

brkgnews

In addition to the one recommended by SirNim, there are tons of other options. Marni1971 probably has the most impresive collection on these forums ( but he'd better watch his back -- I'm catching up :D ). Here's his list..
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=954049&postcount=10

Given what you say you're looking for, I'd suggest the following titles from his list (titles are approximated)...
Imagineering: Behind the Dreams... (mentioned above) LINK
Designing Disney... (John Hench's book) LINK
Building a Dream... (Disney architecture) LINK
Designing Disney's Theme Parks... (another Disney architecture book) LINK

You can also often find them for cheaper on used book sites like www.alibris.com and www.abebooks.com

By the way -- a new title coming out soon (hopefully! -- it's already been delayed!) also holds promise...
Walt Disney's Legends of Imagineering and the Genesis of the Disney Theme Park
Enjoy!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hey - brkgnews; If only The Imagineering Genesis book would come out anytime this year! You see the forthcoming one about Disney Mountains too? Have a peep on Amazon.

I`ve also got a few more since that list - including Roller Coasters, Flumes and Flying Saucers (finally), and Vinyl Leaves.

I keep meaning to update my list and see if Steve will sticky it, since this pops up quite often :D

brkgnews

Yes! I'm waiting for the mountains book -- it's a Jason Surrell book, so it should be phenomenal. Glad you got a copy of Flumes -- great book, isn't it? I was actually going to PM you because I saw a guy in the ACE (coaster freaks) newsletter had a few copies for sale. Now, you need to get "Florida's Disney World: Promises and Problems." As for your collection list, let me do some fiddlin' with my blog -- I may be able to get us a permanent location set up on there, so at least we could have an easy-to-find link rather than a forum search each time. Let's get together and we'll combine our lists of books for a kind of end-all-be-all list. I also have one other idea that'd be even better than that, if I can convince someone to go along with it :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom