Anyone good at using TORRENTS?

KevinPage

Original Poster
I'm new to this & able to search & download, but my speeds are waaaaay too slow.

When I run a test it tells me that my Port is not Forwarded. But I can still search & download. Would forwarding a port increase D/L speeds?

And what are the ramifications of port forwarding good/bad?

Thanks for your help :D

doop

Yes, because if your ports are forwarded, it usually means that you will be connectable. People who are connectable can connect to people who are not connectable and connectable, however if you aren't connectable, you can only connect to those who are. I would definitely recommend forwarding your ports if you want to increase your D/L speed. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's how it goes.

dolbyman

yeap thats about right ..

so you can either forward that specific port manually or use UPnP (if you aplication and router support it .. but if you don't care setting up that port once .. go with doin it manually

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
yeap thats about right ..

so you can either forward that specific port manually or use UPnP (if you aplication and router support it .. but if you don't care setting up that port once .. go with doin it manually

UPnP is great... but I usually change the port from time to time to (just to be safe). I just pick a random port in the 20k range and and open it up.

KevinPage

Original Poster
Curently I'm running a wireless access point off my LinkSys non wireless router. Would I have to foward the ports on BOTH devices?

And what are the negative or dangerous repercussions of "port forwarding"? Can I screw up my regular internet connection?

dolbyman

Curently I'm running a wireless access point off my LinkSys non wireless router. Would I have to foward the ports on BOTH devices?

no .. I think both devices internal router port and access point are in the same ip range .. so you only have to set the portforwarding on the NAT device (router)

And what are the negative or dangerous repercussions of "port forwarding"? Can I screw up my regular internet connection?

hmm .. it's forwarding a specific port to your computer .. if you have no vularable aplication running that listens to this port it's not dangerous.. if you keep your virus scanner updated and your torrent client up to date, you are pretty safe

KevinPage

Original Poster
no .. I think both devices internal router port and access point are in the same ip range .. so you only have to set the portforwarding on the NAT device (router)

hmm .. it's forwarding a specific port to your computer .. if you have no vularable aplication running that listens to this port it's not dangerous.. if you keep your virus scanner updated and your torrent client up to date, you are pretty safe

Ok thanks. But if I forard a specific port, if I'm not using the Torrent client are other computers still able to "get into" my computer via an open port? Or once I close the application that is using the open port, does it close?

dolbyman

as long as no program is listening to that port you're quite safe ..nothing is 100% safe .. even hardware firewalls of large companys get bypassed somehow .. most of the time unkown exploids

KevinPage

Original Poster
as long as no program is listening to that port you're quite safe ..nothing is 100% safe .. even hardware firewalls of large companys get bypassed somehow .. most of the time unkown exploids

I was able to foward the port and had to give it the name of the program to allow, which I don't plan on keeping running all the time. Not as hard as I thought it would be.

Thanks everyone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom