Anyone Ever Have to Work While at Disney?

Club Cooloholic

I had a similar thread in the general discussion, but figured this was more apporiate for this question.

My wife and I are currently booked for a package at the Port Orleans Riverside. She may have to work a few hours a day at the resort, and I know that all rooms have high speed access that you pay for each day.
First, does anyone know how well the internet works on this?
Second, if she needed to print something out, is there a place to get printouts anywhere at the resort, or is this something that we really need a business center for? (and if so how much is that?)

I really wanted to stay at POR but do you folks think we would be better off at Coronodo Springs?

And anyone who has had to work while there, any tips will be appreciated.

drewchyi

i had to perform an Oracle database installation that took around 4 hours. i was vpn'd through disney's broadband access with no problem. cant comment about printing though....

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, I work every year on vacation. :( I've never had a problem with an internet connection in any Disney resort. The speed has been great. I've never had to print except for once when I stayed at The Dolphin but they had a Business Center at the time.

I usually take a flash drive so if I ended up having to print, I'd put whatever it is on a flash drive and if it came to it, find a Kinko's or other copy center. Not a fun way to spend a vacation though.

Upvote 0

Jayhawkie

When I was there in November, my niece had to print some stuff off and she had to go to the Contemporary to do it. I'm not sure but call Disney an find out what services they have. Then you'll know what to be prepared for. Have a great time!!!!!!:wave:

Upvote 0

Ravenclaw87

I remember when I was 11 (so about 10 years ago) and staying at POFQ, I had a project to do that had to be typed up. So, I handwrote it and my grandfather asked where I could go type it up. Well, low and behold, someone at POFQ typed it up for me and added cute little icons and printed it out for me. :)

I suggest bringing a cute little kid. It will be easier. :)

Upvote 0

smk

We always have to find the business center anywhere we go, DH is self-employed and if he doesn't work while we are on vacation we come home to a mess. We stayed at the Grand Canyon a year ago and had no cell service for three days, I thought he would not make it! When we finally got service (50 miles down the road) he had 27 voice mails and an employee that had screwed up payroll by calling in a fake name to get an check issued to "Ricky Bobbie", payroll did it and then thought they best ask the boss if it was a true name! DH was NOT happy at that one!

We have used the business center at the Cont. and Coronado Springs (sp?)both have worked out very well for us. I know they say there is a charge, and we have gone in expecting to be charged, but never have been. Now, if we were there for hours and printed out a ton of stuff there may be a charge but it is always quick and easy. We take the laptop everywhere too and hook up to the internet in the rooms, never a problem with that and always had a charge. We have printed out things at the front desk of FW and were not charged. Just call ahead and ask. There used to be a Kinkos close by, we have gone there too, all on our "vacation". :lol: So, yeah we work on vacation! :(

Upvote 0

miles1

We always have to find the business center anywhere we go, DH is self-employed and if he doesn't work while we are on vacation we come home to a mess.
So, yeah we work on vacation! :(

Boy, do I know this feeling. I've been lucky in the past in that there's usually someone competent to do the basics while I'm gone. For this trip (we're going this Saturday), I actually had to hire a temp to answer the phone and do basic paperwork while I'm gone. I'll still have to call in multiple times a day to make sure there's no problems. I also made the mistake of giving her my cell phone number- yesterday she called before I even left the parking lot.

Luckily, I can call in the payroll myself for two weeks in advance- less chance of "errors" (ahem).:lol:

Upvote 0

dragonfox98

Yes, I work every year when we go on vacation. Although I'm not self-employed, I used to work for a small firm and my clients needed to have their hands held a lot of the time (even for small QuickBooks entries). So, I totally understand the concept.

Now, on to your questions..... We never stay on-site so I can't comment on the Internet issues - I will just share my sympathy. However, I have used the business center at Coronado Springs while there for a conference. I was never charged, but I was only in there for about 15 minutes. I do think taking a flash drive is a great idea (it's what I do as well); this will allow you to take whatever you need to a Kinkos or such if you need to.

I will be working while away this coming February (I handle the payroll for my new company). No way am I letting anyone else near payroll; not for the "errors" that may occur, but because it's my "baby"! LOL

I hope you have a great time and try not to work too hard
1:wave:

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

For those of you with small businesses that can't leave without worrying about it falling apart when you are gone, please run to your nearest bookstore (online or not) and purchase "The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It" by Michael E Gerber. You can get the paperback for about $12.

It will change your life and your business.

Best business investment I ever made.

Enjoy!

Upvote 0

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Thanks for all the feedback. I told my wife I was willing to move us to the Coronado so she could work outside or in the public areas and she thought I was nuts. She said the internet in the room will be fine, and she can live without printing anything.

Upvote 0

smk

Boy, do I know this feeling. I've been lucky in the past in that there's usually someone competent to do the basics while I'm gone. For this trip (we're going this Saturday), I actually had to hire a temp to answer the phone and do basic paperwork while I'm gone. I'll still have to call in multiple times a day to make sure there's no problems. I also made the mistake of giving her my cell phone number- yesterday she called before I even left the parking lot.

Luckily, I can call in the payroll myself for two weeks in advance- less chance of "errors" (ahem).:lol:
Hope all goes smooth! Only thing left you all to do is go on your vacation and have fun!!

We'll be there in October and we won't hire a "temp"...long story but DH keeps too much of the day to day stuff in his own head so he feels like he can't impart the info to anyone. Our DD is now prying the info from him and attempting to learn from the ground up. He trust's family, so she will get the inside scoop on all the day to day stuff, now he will just call her an obnoxious number of times to make she is okay with everything! God bless her!

Upvote 0

Phonedave

Two words - Cellular Broadband

I don't have my own business, but if I did, and I had the need to "check in" via computer every day or so, the $49.95 a month would be in my opinon money well spent.

I have cellular broadband supplied by my job, I take my laptop with me and check emails wherever I can find a power outlet (the card sucks power down, and my battery is way old). I have worked from airport gates, the balcony at the Boardwalk resort, the bar in the Boardwalk resort, the "common room" at the beach club, and a host of other places. The only place I was not able to get a broadband signal is the Customs House at CB - so I could not catch up on work while waiting for the DME,

-dave

Upvote 0

yozhik

This is my standard auto response, as stolen from a boss a couple of years ago:

"I will be out of the office until.......I will not have email access as blackberry will be safely locked in luggage while I am at Disney World"

I had a similar thread in the general discussion, but figured this was more apporiate for this question.

My wife and I are currently booked for a package at the Port Orleans Riverside. She may have to work a few hours a day at the resort, and I know that all rooms have high speed access that you pay for each day.
First, does anyone know how well the internet works on this?
Second, if she needed to print something out, is there a place to get printouts anywhere at the resort, or is this something that we really need a business center for? (and if so how much is that?)

I really wanted to stay at POR but do you folks think we would be better off at Coronodo Springs?

And anyone who has had to work while there, any tips will be appreciated.

Upvote 0

rob45

While attending a crane school in Sanford, we stayed at Fort Wilderness and my company paid for all my lodging and eats. SWEET!!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom