Anyone else still like DCA?

josh2000

California Adventure is a must-visit on any trip to Disneyland Resort for me. Obviously it's not on the same level as Disneyland Park but it is enjoyable in it's own right.
Is the park one of the best/worst/meh Disney parks?
It certainly not one of the worst. Look at some of the international parks if you want to see the very worst Disney has to offer. I would even rate it above domestic parks like Hollywood Studios and EPCOT (in it's current state).

waltography

It’s been 20 years and it still doesn’t really have an identity.
Sure it does! It's "the other one." 🤪

Totally kidding, but I largely agree with most of the points mentioned here. DCA's not great but it's not bad. I was really hopeful in the 2012-2015 era because it really felt like the park was coming into its own then, but then Pixar Pier and Avengers Campus are confusing step backs (even if I don't hate them as much as the rest of the board here).

I appreciate DCA when I want an alternative experience to the Disney fix and want to take things more slowly than I do at Disneyland, and I'd take it over Hollywood Studios any day.

J4546

California Adventure is a must-visit on any trip to Disneyland Resort for me. Obviously it's not on the same level as Disneyland Park but it is enjoyable in it's own right.

It certainly not one of the worst. Look at some of the international parks if you want to see the very worst Disney has to offer. I would even rate it above domestic parks like Hollywood Studios and EPCOT (in it's current state).
DL > AK > EP > CA > DHS > MK for me. CA and EP are really close but I give the edge to EP for whats coming in the future

Minnesota disney fan

We have never been to DL or DCA, but we are going to visit next Spring or this Fall.
All of these comments make me wonder just what is in DCA?
Can those with experience in DCA tell me what rides/attractions that they like and look forward to? I am completely in the dark about DCA and only know about Carsland. Any information would be a big help. Thanks in advance:)

J4546

DCA has a bunch of cool stuff, Carsland, Avengers Campus, Pixar Pier, Grizzly Rapids/Soarin area...Also has some great overlooked stuff like the wine tasting terrace area and beauty and the beasts castle in the back of the animation building. And almost everything in the park is unique and you cant get anywhere else. People on this site are just negative lol. Also the food at CA is great, so much food...if anything the great food of CA ties together the California theme more than anything haha, food here is nuts. (in LA at least)

Last edited:

Minnesota disney fan

DCA has a bunch of cool stuff, Carsland, Avengers Campus, Pixar Pier, Grizzly Rapids/Soarin area...Also has some great overlooked stuff like the wine tasting terrace area and beauty and the beasts castle in the back of the animation building. Theres plenty off great stuff to experience that you cant get anywhere else. People on this site are just negative lol. Also the food at CA is great, so much food.
Thank you so much. It sounds great and I can't wait to check it out!

Practical Pig

One area of DCA that I feel is particularly strong is the Grizzly Peak Recreational Area with Grizzly River Run and Grizzly Airfield, including Soarin' Over the World. It feels very much like an authentic National Park environment many miles away from Anaheim, and has two of the strongest rides in the park (even if the Soarin' queue is very sparse).

I hope you enjoy your visit.

josh2000

DL > AK > EP > CA > DHS > MK for me. CA and EP are really close but I give the edge to EP for whats coming in the future
Very nice list! You and I are for sure in agreement about Disneyland & Animal Kingdom being the best domestic parks. You are very harsh on Magic Kingdom though! It's really your least favorite US park? It's just a worse version of Disneyland but it has enough of that original DNA to have a lot of value to me. I have mixed feelings on the future of Epcot but I'll have to go again and re-evaluate after it's all opened.

For me it goes:
1. Disneyland
2. Animal Kingdom
3. Magic Kingdom
4. California Adventure
5. EPCOT
6. Hollywood Studios

Inspired Figment

IMO, was a real loss when they took out both Soarin’ Over California and Muppet•Vision 3D and have since downgraded them with inferior replacements. Both were my favorite attractions within the park.
Buena Vista Street’s atmosphere is still really nice/solid and I like what they’ve done with the areas of Grizzly Air Field/Peak.. that and both Cars Grand Prix & Toy Story Midway Mania are both solid/ fun attractions.. but otherwise, the park is SEVERELY lacking in both timelessness & real charm (Ironic considering what Chapek’s supposed goal rn is..) I say they should bulldoze the entire Pier area and do something else with it… preferably maybe adding a bit of what they wanted to do with their WestCOT plans but ultimately didn’t do.. But yeah, that how I feel about it.

J4546

i dont get the hate for pixar pier...i love that area! its so vibrant at night and has got so much kinetic energy to it, a really great coaster (regardless of theming), tsmm, a bunch of smaller midway style games/food/stuff, a great ferris wheel (is there a ferris wheel in any other disney park?) a really great nighttime show, a solid darkride with little mermaid and some good food. goofy sky school is weak though i will say that. But overall I love the entire vibe of that land, a classic and timeless old style amusement park on a pier....seems very cool and california-ish to me.

I did prefer the og california screamin' theme to the incredicoaster retheme but overall dont mind the pixar ip theming that everyone else seems to hate lol.

DLR92

I seen DCA when it was being revamped. Those days I did notice how mediocre the park was. At the year of 2012, the park started to shine for me. But after that my interest remains bleh. I do not like the changes made after Soarin’, Pixar Pier, and the new addition of Avengers Campus.

DLR92

I seen DCA when it was being revamped. Those days I did notice how mediocre the park was. At the year of 2012, the park started to shine for me. But after that my interest remains bleh. I do not like the changes made after Soarin’, Pixar Pier, and the new addition of Avengers Campus.

J4546

Pixar Pier is barely themed at all at this point. I’d argue it’s not themed. Slapping Pixar characters on rides and attractions doesn’t make it themed. Paradise Pier made more sense than Pixar Pier.

Pixar Pier is just another example of the laziness that comes from Disney sometimes.
the area is still full of fun attractions though, so even if you dont like the theming or lack thereof, the area seems pretty great to me.

BasiltheBatLord

It started as a super flawed concept then evolved into a still somewhat flawed but at least they’re putting real effort into it concept. Somewhere in the mid-2010s they just kind of gave up and turned it into a random “anything goes” park with no identity similar to WDS in Paris and DHS in Florida.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom