Anyone else skip the parades?

Hey all -

September will be my 4th trip and on two previous my party has insisted on watching the parades. I have to be honest...the parades are great but I'd much rather be doing something else (rides, character meet, etc.). I can totally live without them. I just don't feel the need to see them...will I be doing my 4 year old a disservice by not watching the parade? She seemed to enjoy the evening parade at MK last year (except for Ursula) but I think if she doesn't know what she's missing...any advice would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

justducky78

We normally don't spend a lot of time watching the parades. We do like Spectro, though, and always make a point to see it. But, we don't stake out a spot hours ahead of time like a lot of people do. We normally stand on the path near the water (across from Country Bear). I hate crowds so by standing there I'm not subjected to the claustrophobic feeling you get standing on mainstreet, etc.

And, the daytime parades are just too hot! Ugh - sitting there in the sun just doesn't sound like fun to me. We're usually not in the parks in the afternoons, but if we are, we'll catch a glimpse of it, and walk along with it, or stop for a couple minutes, watch and go back into the shops (much cooler)!

The only daytime parade that I really enjoy is at Animal Kingdom anyway...but we haven't seen it in years because we can do that park in 2-3 hours and we're out of there by 11am before it gets too hot.

Upvote 0

Miss Bell

I have seen them all, but most of the time I will only line up for Spectro. If I catch one of the others fine, if not, that's fine, too. When there is something new, I will line up to see that. Now back in Tapestry of Nations time, I would line up to see that twice in one day, and did on more than one occasion. I think that will always be my favorite.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

Miss Bell said:
I have seen them all, but most of the time I will only line up for Spectro. If I catch one of the others fine, if not, that's fine, too. When there is something new, I will line up to see that. Now back in Tapestry of Nations time, I would line up to see that twice in one day, and did on more than one occasion. I think that will always be my favorite.

I actually have Tapestry on vhs tape. They used to sell it at epcot back in the day.

Upvote 0

disneygirl746kt

WaltzingMatilda said:
Hey all -

September will be my 4th trip and on two previous my party has insisted on watching the parades. I have to be honest...the parades are great but I'd much rather be doing something else (rides, character meet, etc.). I can totally live without them. I just don't feel the need to see them...will I be doing my 4 year old a disservice by not watching the parade? She seemed to enjoy the evening parade at MK last year (except for Ursula) but I think if she doesn't know what she's missing...any advice would be most appreciated!

Thanks!
Everytime Disney would change the parades, I would have to see it once, then after that I skip them because I would rather ride the rides...unless I take a friend with me and it's their first time seeing Disney all together and that's when I watch them again. I've been skipping parades for over 10 years now. (My first time to Disney was back in 1991 when I was only 3.)

Upvote 0

WishinUponAStar

I probably only watch each parade maybe once. I am not a big fan of squishing into crowded areas to stand and watch them. I saw the Main Street Electrical parade MANY times, but others I haven't been so gung-ho to watch. I am excited to see the "Parade of Dreams" at Disneyland on my trip the end of this month though.

Upvote 0

lilphil6487

i never really watch the parades. the only parade that i would never miss is spectro magic, unless the park is open late and they do 2 shows i miss one. the last time i saw a daytime parade was the remember the magic parade during the 25th anniversary. my mom almost passed out and someone spilled their on me. those reasons and the fact that i dont really find them the day time parades too entertaining is why i dont watch them anymore.

Upvote 0

KrazyKemp

The only parade that I've ever gone out of my way to see (or planned ahead to see) was the Main Street Electrical Parade, when it was in Disney's California Adventure.

That was in 2003...

I'm more of a "Fantasmic" kind of guy. I'll wait for that for an hour or so...

Upvote 0

hedgewick

WaltzingMatilda said:
I wish there was a fast pass for parades, but instead of it giving you a time to go in it gave you a place to stay that had premium seating.
I wish that too...[/quote]

Good point! I am kind of on the fence as to weather I want to watch the parade. I've seen it plenty of times and do enjoy it but I also realize the lines are generally shorter for rides at that time. Also, if you want a decent view you need to get your spot at least an hour before the parade even starts. Then the parade is about 1/2 hour long. Then It takes time to get away from the crowd and get to the next attraction. So that is Probably and hour and 45 minutes devoted to a parade when you could have had a nice meal or gone on a few rides that would normally be packed. For my disney dollars I would rather enjoy some rides than sit for over an hour and wait for a parade that I may not be able to see very well anyway.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Other than the holiday specials, Spectro is the only one we claim a stake to see. Frontier is a great area. Never liked the whole Tapestry parades. With a 4 yr old, I'd make it to see Spectro once during the trip. Our girls love the parades (or maybe its the ice cream they eat waiting for the parades...) and would be upset to go all the way to WDW and not see Spectro. We try to do it early in the trip and get it out of the way in case it gets rained out on other nights.

Upvote 0

Woody13

I dislike all the parades at WDW intensely, except for one thing. While other people are watching that nonsense, I can do other things! :wave:

Upvote 0

coasterphil

The only time I've ever watched a parade at WDW was when I was stupid enough to try and leave the Magic Kingdom right after it started. We hit the giant wall of people lined up all along Main Street so we had to move so slowly that I was able to watch most of it.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

coasterphil said:
The only time I've ever watched a parade at WDW was when I was stupid enough to try and leave the Magic Kingdom right after it started. We hit the giant wall of people lined up all along Main Street so we had to move so slowly that I was able to watch most of it.

That is why one cuts through the stores during that time to get out quickly and it's easier to get out on the candy side shop because you don't have to wait for a break in the parade to cross the street.

Upvote 0

PatsRule

We usually catch Spectromagic once a trip and then watch Wishes. The afternoon parades are something we do not usually do. We are often back at the hotel enjoying the pool when they are going on. My kids are older so they would much rather hang at the pool during the afternoon.

Upvote 0

dazzle_em55

I enjoy watching the day parades. My mom is usually worn out by 3:00 if not before. For the SADCT parade so we will either sit and watch it to allow her some rest before continuing or returning to the resort. If she leaves early I will usually stay to watch it, ride a few rides and then join her for dinner. If I'm in the middle of something I don't stop for the parade.

I will stick around after she leave AK but she doen't like that park much anyway. I enjoy walking around and waiting for it in my favorite spot (I know it just by looking not by name)

We once saw the MGM parade by accident because we were eating lunch in the resturant where the parade starts. We now make it a tradition.

I love all of the night time parades/fireworks so we both go see them. The MVMCP parade is never missed either.

Upvote 0

ilovepluto23

WaltzingMatilda said:
Hey all -

Thanks!

There are two parades at the MK. The day parade and the night parade (Spectromagic). Why not let her choose ONE parade to see, and during the other go do other things in the park? Hope that helps!

Upvote 0

coasterphil

shoppingnut said:
That is why one cuts through the stores during that time to get out quickly and it's easier to get out on the candy side shop because you don't have to wait for a break in the parade to cross the street.

I had read that in the Unofficial Guide, but completely forgot about it when I was at the park.:brick:

Upvote 0

Dagger

I have never been a parade person, but after reading about people's enjoyment of them here, I am going to try and check out every single one this time. My family was always the type that would hit up the long line rides while a parade was going on, but I think in my "old" age (24) I will enjoy them more now. :D

Upvote 0

RedBaron

I thought of a funny parade story. One time I was at MK with my mom and unfortunately we did not make it across the "street" to aviod the parade so we went into a shop that was right there to pass the time. They were playing the most annoying music during this parade so we asked one of the CM's at the cash register how she could stand listening to it every day and even she said she could not stand tha parade. We felt sorry for her for having to put up with that every day. :cry:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom