Anyone else skip the parades?

Hey all -

September will be my 4th trip and on two previous my party has insisted on watching the parades. I have to be honest...the parades are great but I'd much rather be doing something else (rides, character meet, etc.). I can totally live without them. I just don't feel the need to see them...will I be doing my 4 year old a disservice by not watching the parade? She seemed to enjoy the evening parade at MK last year (except for Ursula) but I think if she doesn't know what she's missing...any advice would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

Connor002

I wouldn't miss SpectroMagic... but otherwise I'd say it's a matter of personal preference. Ask your four-year-old what they would rather do...

Upvote 0

WeLComeHomE OKW

I dont really go to the parades anymore, cuz just liek you I would rather do something else. But i am sure they are a blast. I just dont like to waste my own time by waiting to get a good spot at a parade.

I wish there was a fast pass for parades, but instead of it giving you a time to go in it gave you a place to stay that had premium seating.

Upvote 0

WaltzingMatilda

Original Poster
Connor002 said:
I wouldn't miss SpectroMagic... but otherwise I'd say it's a matter of personal preference. Ask your four-year-old what they would rather do...

You're right. That's the heart of the matter...what does the person I'm planning this trip for want to do? Oh, s-word. 10 bucks says I'm watching that parade.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

WaltzingMatilda

Original Poster
autumndawn1006 said:
There is almost no lines in Toontown during the parades. My five year old likes seeing the characters, so this is the best time to get in line and get autographs!

I think that's a great idea...we'll see how it works out...we have parade junkies in our party.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

WaltzingMatilda

Original Poster
I wish there was a fast pass for parades, but instead of it giving you a time to go in it gave you a place to stay that had premium seating.[/quote]

I wish that too...

Upvote 0

Nansafan

As far as the MK goes, our fav spot to watch the parades is in Frontierland. Far less crowded than Main Street and you can usually just walk up and sit down right before the parade. I know the MK maps show the parade route on them, never noticed if the other parks maps do this. This is how we decided to go to Frontierland for the parade, it is at the end of the route and people think they only can see the parade on Main Street.

Upvote 0

Gucci65

I never miss a Spectromagic parade.

I have watched Share A Dream at MK once.
I have watched Stars & Motorcars at MGM once.

I have never wached the one at AK.

You've got the right idea. Do what your child wants to do :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Nemo14

I always catch Spectro when we're there, and this past May we had lunch at LTT when the Share a Dream parade was going by, so we saw it indoors in air-conditioned comfort!

Upvote 0

shaelyn

I looove Spectromagic, but the daytime parades just don't really hold my attention. I do, however, appreciate that they are enthralling to so many others and I can get on rides with shorter lines during that time :D

However, I know when I was younger, my parents always asked us if we wanted to watch them. If they hadn't asked us and we'd caught sight of the parade, we would've been peeved and made them watch it anyway haha.

Upvote 0

trr313

We usually end up skipping the afternoon parade at MK but pick up on SpectroMagic at night. I like it because the lines are shorter during the parade times and we can hit some rides with a minimal wait.

Upvote 0

poohbear6103

I don't bother with the day parades. Once I see a parade once, that is enough for me. I just got back from Disney this Sunday and when MK had EMH, we saw Spectromagic for the first time. We went to the 11:00 one which is far less crowded. We went to Frontierland like 5 minutes before it started and got a seat on the porch of where Country Bears is without a problem. So if you have a chance to do that you don't have to deal with all the waiting. I wouldn't go see it again though. If it really means that much to your child though, maybe you can just go once during your trip and not go to all of the parades at the different parks. It really is a good way to see characters. Even if you have to go and don't want to, look on the positive side, at least you'll be at Disney and most of us will be working. Even a not so fun half hour at Disney is better than nothing :)

By the way, in case it is an option, those that want to see the parades can do so and you can maybe go on a ride that no one else wants to go on that you like or look at the Main Street shops and then agree to meet somewhere. That way everyone is happy.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

I happen to like the parades, some more than others. They are something special that other places do not have and it is that entertainment which makes Disney stand apart from Universal & Six Flags or any other theme park for that matter. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the rides too, but I find that the parades provide a nice break to sit and enjoy an ice cream while having entertainment. I also love the fact that they do come out and play with the kids while you are waiting for the parades and there is streetmosphere too.

Spectro is my all time favorite (right next to MSEP) and every time I am down I make a point of seeing is whenever I can, in fact, this last trip I saw it twice. There is nothing like it in the world. The 11:00pm one is definitely less crowded and you can pretty much walk up and sit right down most times. I don't always do the day parades, but I always do Spectro.

I agree that you should ask the kids to see what they want to do because ultimately this trip is really about them.

Upvote 0

erasure fan1

If I see a parade once(ever) Im good. But my 4yr old has something else to say about it.(she pretends to be in spectromagic at home with her light up wand and butterfly wings and pretends to give autographs while singing "on this magic night!".) Its really funny. If I didnt see any parades it would not bother me at all. My wife loves the parades too so I am often stuck.

Upvote 0

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
I skip parades.

Spectro is just eh... with those creepy white faced, red haired Chucky doll things. :lol: :lookaroun I have seen Spectro a LOT though, it just doesnt appeal to me anymore I guess. *shrug*

The only parade I go out out of my way for is the X-Mas parade during MVMCP (best WDW parade... EVER!)... and MAYBE Mickeys Jingle Jammin Jungle parade in AK.

Tapestry in Epcot -- I used to make sure I catch that all the time.

Eh... I am just not a big parade person, I guess. :eek:

Upvote 0

SpenceMan01

I haven't watched a parade in years. They just don't really interest me, especially considering that many people show up an hour in advance for it. Do the math: 1 hour waiting, 20-30 minutes parade, 30+ minutes = 2+ hours. That's 2 hours of solid time that could be spent riding rides, etc. Besides, I hear the lines for rides are usually shorter during the parades.

(Yes, yes, I know. Some people don't wait an hour. That's just a rough estimate, don't jump on me for it.)

Upvote 0

SarahBella82

I've not seen a parade in... I don't know how many years. But now that I have nieces who would get a kick out of seeing the characters and the spectacle... if we had enough time I'd take them. For sure.

For my own personal entertainment: if I see a parade, it's incidental (read: on the way to a ride I'd rather experience...)

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We watch the parades about once a year. IMHO the only parades that are a must see are the ones during hard ticked events like MNSSHP and MVMCP.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom