Anyone else offended by the D23 Disney Geek?

tirian

Original Poster
I know nobody looks in the Chit-Chat lounge, but since there isn't really another place to post this, I'll leave the thread here to die a relatively quick death. ;)

Is anyone else offended by the pandering, schmaltzy, annoying, too-weird-for-words D23 Disney Geek videos? If this is the way Disney supposes their D23 members are, it's no wonder the club isn't doing well.

I honestly cannot stomach the over-the-top presentation on the video blog. Never mind that the information is always old (WDW Magic does a fantastic job breaking stories!), and let's ignore how the latest Disney Channel trash is presented with the same level of respect and enthusiasm as the classic stuff. The host himself is the most annoying video blog host since the attention seeker who cried about Britney Spears. I feel like I'm watching a caricature of a Disney fan, not a real one.

I hate how the videos have a condescending tone, as if they're speaking down to preschoolers. I hate how the host's desk is full of weird clutter while they try to make him look like the "average" Disney fan. I hate how the videos reduce all Disney fans to pixie dust-snorting addicts. In short, the videos represent everything I hate about D23, and I'm a charter member! (Yes, I joined a week into it.)

At the recent D23 convention in Anaheim, the old-school Imagineers shared heartfelt, fascinating stories about the early days of WDI, and working with Walt. They seemed to be grounded in reality, and didn't hide the fact that WDI is a business. It's a business that makes magic, but it's still very much a business. In sharp contrast, the younger, newer D23 folks were gushing about corporate MAGIC and WONDER and MAGIC and PIXIE DUST and other Disney-ese nonsense. The guys who actually made it happen in the first place were nonchalantly trading stories and offering genuine fun. It was the closest I could have been to actually watching Walt film his Disneyland TV show. The old-school WDI experience was real. It was genuine. The D23 folks were corporate schmaltz.

I expect many of you to agree with me, but I know others will defend the D23 Disney Geek because you think he's cute, or he represents the magic to you. In that case, please watch an episode of Walt's "Disneyland" TV show, or watch any interview with an Imagineer; then watch the D23 videos. The corporate oil slick is sickening.

One last thing: I know he's supposed to be a geek, not an intelligent host. I think that's the biggest blunder in the D23 videos. The majority of fans who bought into the club are also active in unofficial online forums (Disney knows this, too), and are not the average screaming pin traders the Disney Geek video portrays. The videos are obviously aimed at someone's idea of a "foamer," and I do find it offensive.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I think you're over-analysing it. I watched it once, decided it wasn't for me and haven't watched since.

Offended? Not hardly, I'd have to elevate it to a level it doesn't warrant to be offended by it.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I know nobody looks in the Chit-Chat lounge, but since there isn't really another place to post this, I'll leave the thread here to die a relatively quick death. ;)

There are some members who spend almost all of their time here.

And they are also some very nice people.

harryk

site follows the format we see all the time on the travel channel when the Disney spokesperson is presenting WDW, DL and the cruise line. Very slick and smooth. D23 Geek is what I expected when I first viewed it and so I quickly accepted that it is what the Disney Team presents. The information I find good since I don't spend all my time on the sites.

Maybe the views presented on this thread will cause the Disney Team to elevate it a bit towards the more adult viewers.
(Although we are all kids at heart..)

tirian

Original Poster
All right, maybe I am over-analyzing it. I do still think the video blog is too juvenile, and the D23 club overdoes the magic schtick (the members are adults, not eleven-year-old girls). But I am probably judging the D23 team too harshly.

tirian

Original Poster

D23 or WDW Magic? They're both mostly nice people. :D

Just to make it clear, I was criticizing the overly polished, pixie-dust show D23 puts on, not the people themselves. It's similar to watching your favorite stars bomb in a terrible movie. :wave:

MiklCraw4d

Tirian, I agree with your first post 100%. Don't worry about overanalyzing, you're spot-on. I've been put off by those videos from the start, because it just shows that that is what Disney thinks all of us are. Someone with no sense of perspective, who just consumes consumes CONSUMES with no discrimination whatsoever. Someone who thinks Disney Channel garbage is interchangeable with the WED classics of old, or that a new pin release is just as exciting as a new E-ticket ride.

The details you pointed out are very perceptive. The desk filled with carefully calculated bric a brac... see! He's just like us! We have stuff, too!

Don't apologize. I'm right there with you.

tirian

Original Poster
Tirian, I agree with your first post 100%. Don't worry about overanalyzing, you're spot-on. I've been put off by those videos from the start, because it just shows that that is what Disney thinks all of us are. Someone with no sense of perspective, who just consumes consumes CONSUMES with no discrimination whatsoever. Someone who thinks Disney Channel garbage is interchangeable with the WED classics of old, or that a new pin release is just as exciting as a new E-ticket ride.

The details you pointed out are very perceptive. The desk filled with carefully calculated bric a brac... see! He's just like us! We have stuff, too!

Don't apologize. I'm right there with you.

Thanks, and I'm not planning to apologize. ;)

Brer Funk

He doesn't offend me, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that he was a nice guy in real life, but I personally cannot stand watching this guy. His phony smile that ends every news blurb just completely invalidates any real excitement that I thought he was showing. The only time I felt connected with him in the slightest was the episode where they showed outtakes and bloopers and he was seen acting like a real person. The Armchair Archivists guys are way more watchable. The Disney Geek, though, is hard for me to stomach.

coolmark18

Its far to over the top and, while Im sure the guy's probably not like that in person, I dislike the whole presnetation of the thing. While I dont want a stern-faced news report, I'm sure theres a nice point in between the two.

harryk

This is Disney. Disney = Fun, enjoyable, not necessarilly reality, have a good time, fun for all ages. He is presenting something that is being made available to us in the future, if not now. I watch him for information and don't care if he smile a lot. He is an actor, playing a part which reminds me that when I go to WDW it is for a little escape and I do escape reality when I visit the Magic Kingdom. That is what it is all about - get over it and just enjoy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom