Anyone else not like Cars Land?

Figments Friend

I like the area.
I think they did a nice job, although I still to this day wish they named it 'Radiator Springs' instead of 'Cars Land'.

I'm not a Pixar fan, and the 'Cars' franchise doesn't hold any appeal to me.....but I DO enjoy that area quite a bit.
Good Attraction variety, fun theming, good food / snack options, and the nightly 'neon ceremony' is a nice touch.
I also enjoy seeing the vehicle characters randomly roaming about.
Adds a lot to the kinetic energy of the area, and is also just cool to see suddenly when you stroll down the road.

When the area first opened I remember the shops each had specific merchandise which was fun to see.
I like it when the merch relates to the land / setting / theme and is somewhat exclusive to the shop / area.
Lately the merch has taken on a more generic feel in the offerings....with stuff being offered one can find elsewhere or in many cases back home.

'Cars Land' was a excellent addition to DCA that was sorely needed.
It's still a very welcome addition to a Park that still needs 'more' quality offerings.

-

TROR

If Cars Land was Radiator Springs Racers with a small strip of shops, Flo's, with the only two entrances being from Pacific Wharf and Bug's Land, I think I'd be a lot happier with it.

drizgirl

If Cars Land was Radiator Springs Racers with a small strip of shops, Flo's, with the only two entrances being from Pacific Wharf and Bug's Land, I think I'd be a lot happier with it.
So the presence of a couple of smaller rides you don't like bothers you?

Sailor310

I like the place, love the neon, like RSR. Unfortunately, I don't want to wait 60 either, so I don't think I've EVER seen the full queue. I always do single rider.

mandelbrot

Carsland has some beautiful scenery that I enjoy stopping and taking in. It also features a ride that's kinda fun that I go on when the wait isn't too bad. There are some clever shops and some ho-hum food options, but the characters that are present I really couldn't care less about. I find that I don't enjoy its particular ambience due to the lack of shade and its presentation of a somewhat rundown world. It takes up a way-too-big space but looks beautiful with its night lighting.

Carsland is DCA's Galaxy's Edge.

FerretAfros

Carsland is...just okay. I don't dislike it as much as I once did, but I also don't think it's worthy of all the praise it gets. In so many ways, it is the epitome of everything that is right and wrong with modern WDI: a bunch of really talented designers got together and created the absolute best product that could be expected from a concept that just isn't very compelling.

It faithfully recreates the town of Radiator Springs, but nobody was really asking for that. Although it fills in some more detail in our knowledge of the town, it really doesn't add anything of substance that isn't in the film. Instead of a romanticized version of a known location that captures the highlights in a new way, it's just a 1-for-1 copy of something I can experience just as well from the comfort of my couch at home. Conceptually, placing Galaxy's Edge in an all-new planet is far more compelling concept for a theme park environment; whether the specific location they created succeeds at that is still up for debate.

Additionally, a lot of the fun details are nothing more than silly puns and sight gags that don't add much depth or texture to the world; in that sense, the IP is a perfect match for DCA1.0. Sure, it's fun to see the taillight flowers or the countless cone-shaped things, but that's all superficial window dressing. In terms of meaningful story points or mood setting, there's really nothing we haven't already seen in the film, making it tough to convince me it's worth the hassle and cost of a theme park visit.

The attractions run the gamut from surprisingly fun (Mater's) to completely lackluster (trackless Luigi's). I enjoyed the previous iteration of Luigi's, but it was an odd fit that clearly never panned out like they had intended. Racers is fine, but doesn't live up to the hype, nor is there anything so special about it that makes it stand out in Disney's pantheon of headliner attractions. Although it's better than TestTrack (at least in it's current rendition), it's not so much better as to justify the 3x price tag. It's an enjoyable experience, but one that's easily forgotten when reminiscing about the highlights of a day at the parks.

I also can't help but note that the exact location of Radiator Springs isn't known in the film, but it's decidedly *not* in California. The southwest desert may be similar at first glance (though looks more like western New Mexico upon further reflection), but Lightning McQueen says several times that he's trying to get to California for the race and all the other characters implicitly acknowledge that's somewhere far away. Since the land opened in 2012 the park has drifted farther and farther from it's California roots, so it may not seem like as big a deal now, but it was a distinct departure at the time.

At least Carsland's marketing team didn't fall into the trap of pretending it would be the most immersive location ever; any sense of immersion in a world populated by automobiles is immediately lost with all the hordes of human tourists. All of the other lands that Disney has created have in-universe humans at the very least (if not exclusively human), which gives them additional leeway to interpret the practicalities of a theme park. So much of the world of Cars (especially in the park) falls apart when you start thinking about it too hard; just consider the human-world equivalent of those lovely holiday decorations made from engine parts and tools strung up throughout the land

Carsland isn't awful. They clearly had a talented team that put a lot of effort into it. However, every time I visit I can't help but think about what else could have been done with the same resources to create a more compelling theme park experience. In that sense, it's a really disappointing addition to the park.

Animaniac93-98

I like the look of the land, the main ride and eating at Flo's, but Cars is one of Pixar's worst movies and the area would be better without any of of the specific characters referenced. I also have no interest in the 2 other rides or any of the merch.

TROR

Yeah. Sure you don't.
I’ve gone once since after they butchered Tower of Terror and that was only because I was gifted a parkhopper. That’s the only way I’ll step foot in that park. Not worth my money and barely worth my time.

mickEblu

Don't we have enough of these troll generated hate threads? If you all hate the place why go there?

It just seems that way but it’s not really the case. We re all here for the most part because we love Disneyland and to a lesser extent by association DCA. When it comes to Disneyland, most of us still love what most of the park has to offer. It’s easier to create a thread/ write a post to talk about what we don’t like than it is to talk about what we do like since the positives still far outweigh the negatives.

And then it’s also human nature.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom