Anyone else get this feeling on Mission:Space?

ilovepluto23

Original Poster
FIRST OFF, I do not think Mission:Space should be shut down. I think people with unknown conditions, or people who ignorantly IGNORE their conditions get hurt on it. I mean, c'mon it's G forces...those are strong! Stuff happens, ya know.

But, out of curiosity since my family hasn't felt this on the ride...

Does anyone get a tight feeling in their chest, as if you're just going to stop breathing? It's extreme pressure where you just feel like the next time you go to inhale you won't be able to. I was born with mitral valve prolapse (heart murmur), and never considered that to be a condition since it NEVER has given me any problems. Lots of people have this condition actually.

I stopped going on Mission:Space after the stories, and since I can't find anyone else who feels like this on the ride. Most people get nauseated.

Just curious!

mickeyandtigger

I have never gotten a tight feeling in my chest, I did how ever have a dusey of a headache for about 20 min the last time I went on. Kinda concerned me.

kcnole

I've heard several people make this comment. I won't ride the spinning version so I never have, but I've heard it.

Rockin Roller

I have never been on this ride and I really want to. I just get sick easily thats why. But I want to state to the idiots out there that there are about 100 WARNINGS...Get that through your head. As I was in line and saw the first of many warnings I knew I shouldnt ride it. I had to just state this. sorry

KCBroadway

My husband and I rode Mission:Space last summer for the first time and I can honestly say that I didn't even feel like we were spinning! I actually thought the take-off was a little tamer than expected. What I did notice was that I actually felt the sensation of weightlessness when we finally reached space. I actually felt like I could lift out of my seat. It was an incredible feeling. I'm sure that had something to do with the G-force. Now - my husband on the other hand did not really like it. He said he really felt the spinning and was a little upset to his stomach after riding it. I guess everyone is going to be different.

ilovepluto23

Original Poster
Rockin Roller said:
I have never been on this ride and I really want to. I just get sick easily thats why. But I want to state to the idiots out there that there are about 100 WARNINGS...Get that through your head. As I was in line and saw the first of many warnings I knew I shouldnt ride it. I had to just state this. sorry

Well, I've seen all of the warnings. Yes, there are a TON! But I never considered my heart murmur to be something to worry about. Honestly, I know at least 15 people who were born with mitral valve prolapse. I've never had any problems, and I've been to a Cardiologist to make sure my heart wasn't leaking. I just thought it was all inside of my head for a while until people really did seriously start getting hurt! Scary!

I stopped riding it. I went on it about 5 times.

ilovepluto23

Original Poster
KCBroadway said:
My husband and I rode Mission:Space last summer for the first time and I can honestly say that I didn't even feel like we were spinning! I actually thought the take-off was a little tamer than expected. What I did notice was that I actually felt the sensation of weightlessness when we finally reached space. I actually felt like I could lift out of my seat. It was an incredible feeling. I'm sure that had something to do with the G-force. Now - my husband on the other hand did not really like it. He said he really felt the spinning and was a little upset to his stomach after riding it. I guess everyone is going to be different.

Yeah, I've only heard of headaches and nauseated feelings after riding. I haven't met anyone who's chest tightened up. It seemed to be increasingly noticeable with every time I went on it. Noone in my family feels sick at all after riding. My chest feels like heavy weights are on it, and it's about to cave in from pressure. Just curious if it has happened to anyone else.

Moustronaut

ilovepluto23 said:
Does anyone get a tight feeling in their chest, as if you're just going to stop breathing? It's extreme pressure where you just feel like the next time you go to inhale you won't be able to.
I dunno if I'd describe it as a tight feeling, more like the feeling someone is sitting on your chest making it hard to breathe. It is more difficult to breathe because your body has to overcome roughly double the weight of your chest to push out so your lungs will fill with air.

But that's what its SUPPOSED to feel like.

ilovepluto23

Original Poster
Moustronaut said:
I dunno if I'd describe it as a tight feeling, more like the feeling someone is sitting on your chest making it hard to breathe. It is more difficult to breathe because your body has to overcome roughly double the weight of your chest to push out so your lungs will fill with air.

but if it's supposed to feel like that...how come nobody I've talked to felt as I did?

EpcoTim

ilovepluto23 said:
Well, I've seen all of the warnings. Yes, there are a TON! But I never considered my heart murmur to be something to worry about. Honestly, I know at least 15 people who were born with mitral valve prolapse. I've never had any problems, and I've been to a Cardiologist to make sure my heart wasn't leaking. I just thought it was all inside of my head for a while until people really did seriously start getting hurt! Scary!

I stopped riding it. I went on it about 5 times.

Thats probably your best bet. I have a similar issue, maybe, I still ride it, and have felt nothing, but I do get worried. And I'm not a worrying type of person. Better to play it safe, its just a ride after all.

imagineer boy

Some times when I ride MS, I feel like the life long health conditions I have that the warning signs mentioned are acting up and I feel like I'm gonna spontaniously combust on the spot. Other than that, nothing too serious.

mickeyman65

My friend and I did have something like that but I think it was more the pressure of the shoulder harness than anything else...so in the beginning lift off scene I lift up on my shoulder harness so the pressure isn't so great..

CThaddeus

I guess I'm strange. I went on it, and while I obviously felt the pressure of the take-off and the slight feeling of weightlessness, I had no ill effects. In fact, not only was I enjoying the ride, but I was videotaping it at the same time. Afterwards, my only real side effect was the nagging feeling that I shouldn't have enjoyed it because that was Horizons' old home. Horizons is still better, in my mind, but Mission: Space is a decent - albeit far too short - replacement. At least it fits into the Future World theme, unlike some other attractions that have appeared in the last few years.

T-1MILLION

ilovepluto23 said:
FIRST OFF, I do not think Mission:Space should be shut down. I think people with unknown conditions, or people who ignorantly IGNORE their conditions get hurt on it. I mean, c'mon it's G forces...those are strong! Stuff happens, ya know.

Does anyone get a tight feeling in their chest, as if you're just going to stop breathing? It's extreme pressure where you just feel like the next time you go to inhale you won't be able to. I was born with mitral valve prolapse (heart murmur), and never considered that to be a condition since it NEVER has given me any problems. Lots of people have this condition actually.

I stopped going on Mission:Space after the stories, and since I can't find anyone else who feels like this on the ride. Most people get nauseated.

Just curious!

I also have a heart mumur and a heart murmur is not all that uncommon. In fact it is pretty common. I go on Mission: Space all the time. I get a slight tightning pressure feeling in my chest that last for less than seconds. Most people should. It is the ges pressing the center of your body into the seat. The heartline effect of G-forces. I get the same feeling on large rollercoasters.

Hope this helps.

Nansafan

That feeling you describe happened to me on M:S and has also happened to me other times e.g. when we went on a cave tour in South Dakota visiting Mt. Rushmore. I attributed it to an anxiety attack. I had a similar feeling while having an MRI, panic attack due to claustraphobia. I will give the new M:S a try but if the feeling was due to claustraphobia, I'll probably not ride M:S anymore. I realize these are my issues, I am not trying to diagnose anyone. Please don't flame me.

MarciMellow

i got the slight tightening in my chest but it didn't bother me because of how intense the ride was! But that was years ago and since then I have been diagnosed with migraines. My fiance is really aprehesive about me wanting to ride it because he doesn't want me in pain all day or on our honeymoon. I really want to though.

tigsmom

ilovepluto23 said:

Just curious!

I have not been on M:S and I don't plan on going as I have vertigo problems, even the flying scenes in the UOE make me dizzy ( :eek: ), but my husband said it felt like somebody was pushing their fist into his chest the entire time and it lasted for hours afterwards...he is in his 40's and has asthma so maybe that has something to do with it, otherwise he is in very good health. My youngest (10 at the time) loved the ride and had no problems until about 15 minutes afterwards when she became violently ill and dizzy... no other rides affect her that way.

marypoppins68

Moustronaut said:

That's exactly how I feel when I ride. I"ve never once felt dizzy or sick. I just feel like someone is sitting on my chest, but only during lift off and when you descend to Mars. I rode the non-spinning version this past week and I didn't get the feeling of pressure on my chest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom