Anyone cruised in January???

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
So, yes, we've booked the 1/18 8-night Bahamian out of Galveston using the Kids Sail Free promo. It's not often we get to benefit with "kids" deals with teenage boys...been a long time, actually. Ports include Key West, Castaway Cay, and Port Canaveral/WDW. So far we've only been to Castaway Cay in May & September. We know the water temps in May are pretty dang chilly & in September they're pretty comfortable. Air temps for both of those months are pretty warm to hot. So what about January??? We live in a Gulf coastal town so it's not that big a stretch to go search for knee-length wetsuits if they will be needed. Trying to think this one all the way thru and be prepared!

Disneyfalcon

I have! :)

The first time there was a cold front in Florida and it was very chilly. The second time it was crazy warm out. Both times the water at CC was cold. We still snorkeled, once you get used to it it's fine, but that first dip is yikes!

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Oh. I might have a problem getting the guys into the water. They're kinda wimpy when it comes to certain parts and cold water. Won't make excuses for them, tho. They're just wimps. LOL!

Mabye I'll check the resale shop around the corner and keep my eyes peeled for some used wet suits. I know I'd also like to hit a water park at WDW and the weather is totally up in the air to support that grand idea. Just imagine, tho, if it was not quite warm enough for the rest of the World...we could be 1 of 3 families there! Paradise!

wiigirl

Can't help but think of the Seinfeld shrinakge episode now.
lmao :p
75.gif

iloverags2

We have sailed the last week of January and the second week of February. Both times we lucked out with beautiful weather in the Bahamas. Being from Florida, I'm used to the temps (both air and water) during that time of year, so it doesn't bother me. Considering you could see cold weather, though, I would say invest in the wet suits...even if you don't use them this trip, they may come in handy in the future.

And how cool you booked that cruise! Great deal!!!

the1nonlysinger

Pack sweatshirts just in case. When we went on DCL in January 2009, it was extremely cold and windy when we boarded, during the initial kickoff party, and the first day or so while the boat was headed south. It definitely warmed up a lot by the time we made it to Castaway Cay. But the gift shops have limited hours, so I'd hate to be stuck without one and not have the option to buy one either! Have a magical time! :)

angieandtrevor

We've sailing twice at the end of January and the weather was always really warm however coming from snow and hail we may think just about anything is warm. I am pretty wimpy when it comes to getting in the water and I never had any problems.

I can't wait to see the video of your boys reaction, they are going to be SO excited :)

BYancey

I'm also from Texas and not accustomed to colder weather. We have cruised twice in January. It was a bit chilly on the upper decks at nighttime while the ship was moving, but the weather was perfect on the islands! The water was cool, but far from unbearable. Y'all have a great time!!

BYancey

Haha, thanks! I've been reading here for a long time, but finally decided I might should post something every once in a while!

jme

On my Jan trip it was nice (80+) temperatures outside, and the water at CC was tolerable. It was like a nice cool pool on a hot summer day. Not cold, not even "chilly", easy enough to just walk out in and once you submerged yourself it was fine. I even got sunburnt on my back from snorkeling too long...

TDF

Although I never cruised in January I can say from being at Walt Disney World once when it snowed it can get cold! Usually though it has been fine, light sweatshirt at night… just a warning though as you never know what will happen!
- Justin

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Although I never cruised in January I can say from being at Walt Disney World once when it snowed it can get cold! Usually though it has been fine, light sweatshirt at night… just a warning though as you never know what will happen!
- Justin

January 2010??? We were there and it actually snowed twice. It was miserable!

TDF

I believe so! It was really bad… EPCOT had everything covered and the cast members didn’t know what to do, LOL!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom