Anyone been there during a hurricane?

I can not believe that I've meticulously planned our trip to WDW and now there's a ridiculous hurricane in the Atlantic and possibily headed toward my magical vacation!

Has anyone ever been to WDW during or in threat of a hurricane? When was the last time a hurricane hit the Orlando area. Of course, I guess I could look it up on the web, but I'd rather hear real stories.

Also, what happens if it hits while we're there? I'm guessing there will be no refunds or free passes or free night's stay, etc. Kinda like, plan your trip and take your chances with the weather and GOOD LUCK!

Hopefully it'll stay out at sea, but this is so my luck that it would hit land right on me!!

slappy magoo

Well, my story is long. I'll try to make it worth your while.

In August of 2004, my girlfriend at the time, "S" and I, flew to Orlando for our very first vacation together, 11 days and 10 nights staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge. We got into Orlando just after one hurricane (Charley?) and shortly before another (Frances?).

We rented a car and drove to WDW, with "S" pointing out wreckage along the way while I kept my eyes on the road. We were nervous about what the weather would be like, but even more nervous about how we'd get along that long with pretty much just each other. We'd only been dating 7 months, and this was kind of a long trip right off the bat.

Well, the first week was about as sweet a WDW vacation as you could hope for. Crowds were light, so it was easy to go to a park, do everything you wanted to do and go back to your room for...naps. This was before the Disney Dining Plan, so many of the restaurants still made food with something called "Flavor," and we ate heartily. Had great fun at Adventurer's Club, took lots of photos. Awesome. The only bad thing was the heat, and the only sad moments we had were talking to CMs and locals who were still dealing with wreckage. Since I work in NYC, I remember people's need to talk post 9/11, as if talking about the tragedy made the fact that you survived the tragedy more real, somehow. As a result, when people felt the need to share their stories, we weren't about to tell them to clam up. On the plus side, AKL is a great, romantic resort, and we really enjoyed the time we spent just animal watching and swimming/wading. We made a joke of the fact that, as far as I was concerned, every animal's named was "Ned." "You know what that giraffe's name is?" "No, what?" "Ned." "Do people ever confuse Ned the giraffe with ned the crane?" "You'd think that, but no." Fun. Bliss.

During the last few days, the threat over the next hurricane got louder and louder. One day, "S" saw bags near our room and thought it odd that people would just leave dirty laundry in the hall...when we realized they were sand bags. People were still a little shell-shocked over the last hurricane, and no one was in the mood for taking chances.

The Friday before Labor Day (and 2 days before we were supposed to fly back home) we got the word: The parks would be closed the next day, the airports were already closed indefinitely, and WDW was suggesting we stock up on provisions and weather the storm in our room. As far as I was concerned, fine. If WDW wanted me and my girlfriend to spend all day in our hotel room with little to do besides...napping...who was I to say no? Heh heh heh...

But "S" thought otherwise. Being a teacher, one year away from tenure, she was worried about being stuck indefinitely in Orlando, missing work and jeopardizing her career. But there weren't many options...just one. I told her, if she wanted, we'd get up very early the next morning, pre-dawn, start driving before the hurricane hit land and drive back home in one shot.

We had tickets that night for the late Cirque du Soleil show, and went to the box office to see if these unique circumstances allowed a refund. Turned oout that show was cancelled anyway, but they still had tix for the early show (the only show not cancelled). So, it was settled. We went back to the Lodge, started packing and changing for the night, let the desk know we were checking out early, and let Alamo know we were driving our rental car to Philly airport (where "S's" parents could pick us up). Everyone was surprisngly cool with our plans. We cleaned ourselves up, had early dinner at the mara, saw Cirque, went to Virgin (about to close early) to buy CDs for the trip. Took a few "I Am Legend"-esque photos of me wandering around a DESERTED, EMPTY Downtown Disney (at, like, 9pm, on a Friday). Then we went back to AKL, said good bye to all the Neds, and went to something akin to sleep.

3:30 am the next morning, quick showers, quick car load, and we were off. As luck would have it, the hurricans started to stall offshore. It was still a severe hurricane, but it wasn't traveling, biding us extra hours to get out of Dodge. We made the trip in 20 hours, stopping only for bathroom breaks and meals (my first time in a Cracker Barrel, "Eggs in a carriage" = bliss on a plate!). We pulled into Philly Airport's Alamo lot just before midnight. We told the clerks our plight. Not only did they waive the fee for not refueling the car, but they refunded us almost 100 dollars. To this day, I've no idea why, maybe they needed more cars in Philly and we saved them the hassle of transporting one. Also got half our airfare refunded, and 2 night's lodging instead of one (again, no idea why, but I'll take it, maybe AKL was glad we made a room available for displaed locals).

Most important, "S" and I realized that, if we can be in a car, on the brink of an emergency, for 20 hours and keep our cool with each other, we must be a good fit. The next year, I popped the question (yes, at WDW, our third trip at that time, just before Illuminations, at our favorite restaurant, Rose & Crown). We married in october of 2006, and in 2 weeks we're expecting our first child.

No, her name will not be Ned.

And that's my (our) hurricane-at-WDW story.

Upvote 0

brandon8419

I was there in '06 and although it wasn't a hurricane, it was only 2 mph away from being categorized as being one. :) Alberto if I remember correctly...I don't think they shut down any of the parks or anything, but I remember being in Animal Kingdom and the insane amount of rain. It came down so hard and so quick that the walkways flooded and the water was up over my ankles..Completely ruined my shoes haha!! The only bad thing is we were sooo wet that I didn't get to ride Kali River Rapids! :)

n69200009_30583458_4023.jpg

^ just for fun :)

Upvote 0

Montyboy

Does anybody remember TS/Hurricane Ernesto on Aug 06, I was there the parks were still open we went to MK and it was a ghost town, but got to do all the rides many times with no wait

I was there when the remnants of Ernesto rolled though. Disney seemed ready for it with notices on tv, inter alia, but it turned into a non-event.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom