Anymore Proposal Tips?

Fenway_Josh

My girlfriend and I are going to Disney from Dec 4-10. While we were there I was planning on proposing. I read a few good ideas on here over the past few days, but I was wondering if there was anything else I could do? We're going to Mickeys Very Merry Xmas Party. Would that be a good time? I'm a guy.... I'm clueless on this stuff. Please help!

jrobinson424

take my advice, don't do it. marriage will suck the life right out of you. and if you do, don't have kids right away because then you are my friend stuck with her for at least 18 years(if you plan on being a good father) but i guess if you have to propose, do it at Illumations. but don't be cheesey and do it front of everyone, go find a private place. even if it's around a bathroom. this is your moment, not anyone else's. you'll notice that people get very emotional around the show. it is very moving. the only other place that i think would be better is at the very top of Space Ship Earth. to me, that is the most beautiful thing i have seen, other than my kids and my wife whose birthday is today.

Upvote 0

Mimi

While I find many of jrobinson424's comments a bit inappropriate, I do sort of agree with the Illuminations idea. I'm sorry I haven't read any of the other threads on the subject so I don't know if anything else I will say has already been suggested.

I think a cruise on the Seven Seas Lagoon would be a fantastic location, especially if you arranged for one around the time of Wishes. (Maybe see if you can arrange something with the waiter, if you get a dining cruise.) For a very private moment you might have a nice dinner at the Grand Floridian or Polynesian and then ask while strolling along the beach between the resorts. Or, for a crazier moment, you could pick her favorite ride. If it is a wilder ride, you might pop the question a few seconds before or during the climactic part of that ride.

Ultimately, if you are in love and both love Disney World ANY location within the world will be perfect. But please don't intentionally draw a huge crowd!

Upvote 0

Nansafan

As a chick, any way you ask her will be memorable. I totally blew my husband's grand plan and he had to improvise. He gave my my engagement ring while we were traveling 65 mph on the Kennedy Expressway heading back into the city, just past the Harlem Avenue exit ramp in Chicago. We celebrate our 21st wedding anniversary tomorrow (9/22) and he still hasn't asked me to marry him.

But enough about me, I've seen people get engaged while having dinner at Cindy's Castle and always thought, for my next wedding...

If you're looking to spend some money on the engagement, Disney has people and packages to help and another service that is great is Jane at Gifts of a Lifetime (www.giftsofalifetime.com). Both can help tailor a package and setting that would be perfect.

Being a huge fan of the Poly, on the beach at the Poly during Wishes would be an awesome spot too. The beach is generally not too crowded and there are plenty of secluded spots if you want this to be very private.

Upvote 0

brich

Nansafan said:
Being a huge fan of the Poly, on the beach at the Poly during Wishes would be an awesome spot too. The beach is generally not too crowded and there are plenty of secluded spots if you want this to be very private.
This worked for me. Although it wasn't "on" the beach but rather on a walk way along the beach. Did it after the Luau. No one around. Was perfect. :sohappy:

Upvote 0

kellydisney

jrobinson is the reason why kids today are messed up. I for one am glad that my parents divorced when I was 8 so that I didn't have to endure a loveless/fighting relationship that would have skewed my thoughts of what a "healthy" relationship was. Way to go buddy. :rolleyes:

On a happy note, Illuminations is beautiful, but is there a place that is special to both of you? My fiance proposed during the Osbourne Spectacle of lights in Christmas and while a million people were there, no one saw us, they were too busy with the lights! Also, you can schedule a private cruise during Illuminations. But if the castle is a big thing for you, there is a rose garden that you can propose in, if you go to the right of the castle toward Tomorrowland take a left through the fence and down to a little port over the water, private, romantic and a castle!!

Upvote 0

stopgo

I got a bunch of great suggestions from everyone in the other thread, but for additional help you can contact the Disney folks directly at 1.407.WDW.PLAY. They gave me a lot of guidance and can even help to arrange things for you. If you're truly stuck and don't mind a bit of Disney cheese in your proposal call the Disney florists (1.407.827.3505, www.disneyflorist.com) and ask about "The Slipper Fits".

Upvote 0

krueg66

me too!!

brich said:
This worked for me. Although it wasn't "on" the beach but rather on a walk way along the beach. Did it after the Luau. No one around. Was perfect. :sohappy:

me too!! only we were on one of the hammocks!! I can't believe i proposed the same way as a no good SOX FAN!!! It was the perfect spot though, am I right???

I did have to scare away a dad and his son. they were playing in the sand and making a lot of noise so i had to politely ask the father to take off. he was cool and did...

p.s. 0.5 games back in the AL East....

Upvote 0

robynchic

I am always giving this advice, because, as a cast member, my managers have told me repeatedly to NOT recommend it if anyone comes up to me-

Do NOT (yes, caps, bold, italic, underline) propose in front of a character. While it is adorable, there is (heaven forbid) the chance she may say no. And who wants a Kodak picture of your girlfriend saying "no" in front of a big, grinning character?
Besides, another thing with WDW and their characters is efficiency. Asking her to marry you in a meet and greet line slows the entire line, especially if she gets all emotional and whatnot.
If you DO insist on doing it around characters, go to a character dining location. And do not expect to have any requests to have Cinderella and Prince Charming, or Mickey and Minnie, or any combination of characters standing together while you propose. The only chance you may have is with the chipmunks.

That being said, I'd personally like to be proposed to in some bizarre way, like while we're waiting for Fantasmic! to start, or in the middle of the Haunted Mansion...then I'd have an interesting story to tell!
If you call ahead of time, there is a possibility you can get in contact with the part of the entertainment department that does performances involving Actors Equity. I've heard of Streetmosphere planting the guy who wanted to propose in a street scene, so that might work. Doubtful, though.

OOH! Here's a great idea! If she likes stuff that goes really fast, and likes a lot of action, see if you can propose right before Lights, Motors, Action! That would be a great speech. "Honey, you've taken me on the ride of my life, and it's more exciting than any chase scene in any movie. Will you be in the seat next to me on the road of life?"

Edit
Oh! Another great place that would be fun- if you can talk to any cast members in PI at the Comedy Warehouse, they may be able to get you guys seated so that you can get the phone call (if you don't know what I'm talking about, ask, and I'd be happy to explain). If you do get that chance, also see if they can tell whoever is the first person onstage that night what you're planning. Being improv actors, they will surely be able to do something for you!

Upvote 0

robynchic

kellydisney said:
roby - the comedy warehouse would be so cool!! If you're into having an audience I'd go for that!

Well, I am the keeper of the Comedy Warehouse :animwink:
Besides, if my boyfriend knew me well enough, he'd know why that would be the perfect place to propose to me.

In high school theatre, I specialized in improv. So if people talk to me, and get me into my witty, dry humor, I can pop out one liners like you wouldn't believe. Being proposed to on stage at an improv comedy club would be a dream come true- no matter how much I blush!

Upvote 0

blackerbys17

Well, I am a hopeless romantic and I love to feel like a princess so as far as I'm concerned, if it involves a view of the castle at night with fireworks in the background, it is a winner! I guess it depends on how much you want to spend but here goes:

Oohh, I know! OK, I know this will be expensive but I guess if it were me, if you could rent a 1 bedroom suite at the Grand Floridian for the night and excuse yourself at some point to deck it out in roses and candles and champage (of course) or ask someone at the hotel to do this for you (for a fee). Then, make up some excuse of why you need to go to the Grand Floridian like a free tour of a suite that you won or someone from this board is staying there and they invited you over to see the fireworks, something like that. Tell her you're eating at Narcoossee's afterwards so you'll both be dressed up nicely, this will help set the mood.

Then, take her to the room at about 8:55 PM (if the fireworks are set for 9 pm) and when you go inside take her to one of the balconies that you'll have decked with flowers and candles and by now, she'll be getting suspicious but that's OK. Have the ring inside a glass slipper and maybe say something like "You're the only princess this ring will fit, will you wear it and be my wife?" (Oh, I get goose bumps and I'm literally teary eyed)! By the time she says yes and is jumping for joy, the fireworks will be starting. Celebrate with your soon to be wife while you watch the fireworks on your private little balcony.

I checked prices for you and depending on wether you are a FL resident or not or have an annual pass the room should be about $1,000 a night. Make sure to tell the staff about your plans so you get a room with a great view. Afterwards, you can go to Victoria and Albert's or stay in and order room service. I know it will be expensive, but I really don't think you'll regret it.

So, what do you think???

Upvote 0

ThePurpleDonkey

"The Slipper Fits"

I saw the slipper fits that you were talking about. I really like it, I am also planning to propose in Disney soon. How would you get the flowers though if you didnt plan on getting engaged at a restaurant? Would you have to carry it around all day until you decided to do it? I think she would get suspicious of a box that you were carrying around. Any ideas?

Upvote 0

dumboflyer

Cinderella's Coach

We got engaged at Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. At the back (Fantasyland side) of the castle, they have Cinderella's Glass Coach (life sized!). I proposed to my now-wife in front of the coach towards the end of the party (right before midnight) so the crowd was non-existent. Plus, then you walk out of the Magic Kingdom as/after it closes so it is all to yourselves and SO romantic to walk down Main Street! :) Good luck!

Upvote 0

McArcDes

There a many threads that I am sure you have read about this very subject. I am going with my GF from Oct. 28 through Nov. 1 this year and I plan on proposing to her while we are at MNSSHP. We are planning on dressing as Christine and the Phantom from Phantom of the Opera. (we both love this show) The current plan is to get her away from her parents and our (combined) 6 kids. I want to take her to a place near the castle, sing her part of the love song from the stage show (and movie) and then get down on one knee and aske her to marry me. I am looking for suggestions of a place near the castle. I want it to be romantic. I was thinking of the bridge that goes from the area near the crystal palace to liberty square, (not the stone one that the parade crosses, the next one towards Adventure land) Although the rose garden sounds nice too....

Anyway, I dont want to hijack your thread but that is my idea.

Upvote 0

robynchic

I recommend the rose garden. It's a little bit out of the way, a bit more secluded, MUCH more romantic.

Oh, and if you happen to see a woman with long black hair and a guy with curly hair in a ponytail, and the girl is dressed kind of goth (unless they dress up), wearing bride and groom ears, make sure you tell them Robyn says hi! Those will be my friends (who are getting married TODAY!) on their honeymoon!

Upvote 0

mac388

Proposing

Hello!
I think it's great that you are asking all of us for opinions on how to propose to your girlfriend. However, I think you can use all of these ideas in combination with how well you know your girlfriend-and what she would really want.
Just back in June, my boyfriend proposed to me at WDW. There were a few things he knew about me:
1. I am pretty much impossible to surprise.
2. I get very nervous and "freeze" in front of big crowds.

So, he knew that he had to do something that seemed impromptu and yet was still special.

To really throw me off, he had "date night" and we went to Beaches and Cream at the Beach Club. Yup, we got burgers and shakes for our dinner! Anything else would have raised an eyebrow. We also had always planned, or dreamed, to have our wedding at the Beach Club, on Shipwreck Beach. So, he led me down there, and before you knew it, he had proposed. It was wonderful. And most importantly, there was no one around. Well, except for a photographer that he had hired to take incognito photos of the engagement. Now we have an album of the whole thing! She was wonderful-and I can get her name if you need it. She was not a part of Disney, though. They wanted 100 dollars an hour with a four hour minimum. Sorry!
Ricky had said that he did the proposal this way because he got my true feelings. It wasn't some grand thing, it was quiet and intimate.
The next week was our six year anniversary from when we met. He surprised me with the album and we got professional pictures done at the Boardwalk as well-and then ate at Spoodles.
If you want to see our album, I can link it on snapfish!
We'll be getting married April 28, 2006 at a church here in Orlando, and at Shipwreck Beach for the cocktail hour and Ariel's for the reception.
Let me know if you need any help!

Upvote 0

dumboflyer

In response to McArcDes' question about where to proposal around the castle...I have the PERFECT place. The perfect place is the Wishing Well on the Tomorrowland side of the castle. There is a walkway that leads from the little place where they have Belle's story time up to the castle. The walkway leads to the Castle---next to the Cinderella's Royal Table door. It is very secluded and the walkway isn't used much. (Note: this is on the tomorrowland side of the castle (east!), not the liberty square side). I think this might not be called the wishing well so please tell me anyone if it has another name. The problem with the Rose Garden is that it is so close to Tomorrowland...you want the Castle to be the focus, not Cosmic Rays. :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom