Anybody have a pin collection?

pluto77

TimonRulz said:
I have about 20 from over the last three times I've went. I try to get ones that have to do with certain things like the year's theme or the resort I'm at or rides that were really fun for me! I've got the Philharmagic one, a Rock n' Rollercoaster one and a Soarin one for the rides. A Lion King one from when I preordered the DVD a few years back. Timon (my favorite character!). A HCOE one, of course and some others. I really like them, I just can't afford the 100s of them. Its hard enough for me to get to Disney every year!

Here is a question that I've always wondered... do cast members HAVE to trade you if you want a pin of theirs? I had always guessed that they wore pins that they were given, and weren't theirs, so if they were traded one, they didn't really lose anything. Is this correct?
Yes, cast members have to trade the pins on their lanyards, the only exception is that the cast members wearing the green lanyards are only for kids to trade. Although, the first time I went pin trading I didn't know about that and someone with a green lanyard traded me one of their pins.

BABAMICKEY

Pins And Lanyards????

GOOD MORNING ALL!!! :wave: ,

Will be going to WDW for the very first time with my family in SIX!!!! DAYS!!!

We will be staying at ALK...my question is when you stay at a Disney Resort, I read some where that for each room booked, you get a Disney lanyard and two trading pins....is this fact or fiction???

THE MAGIC IS ABOUT TO BEGIN :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

pinkrose

BABAMICKEY said:

We will be staying at ALK...my question is when you stay at a Disney Resort, I read some where that for each room booked, you get a Disney lanyard and two trading pins....is this fact or fiction???

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that deal is part of one of the packages. Have a wonderful time!!!

I too am a pinaholic. I only buy the ones I really like or that mean something to me. I like to buy the passholder pins as well. I think we've bought at least 10 pins each time on our past 2 trips. I'm really going to have to curve my pin shopping when we're down there. :lol:
My kids love collecting the pins too. We each have a cork board to display our pins on.

ZapperZ

Littlebit said:
I started collecting pins in Sept. 1992 and stopped, cold turkey, in the early 2000's (no offense intended to current collectors, but it was the best things I ever did). All together, I've got about 5,000 of them...I've got some super-duper rare ones, like Disney's America, Westcot, and the like. Someday they're going to go on a wall in our yet-to-be-completed "Disney room," but until then, they sit in a corner, in dozens and dozens and DOZENS of Disney bags (grin).

I'm starting to think that I should start going cold turkey myself, so certainly no offense taken there. I knew it was getting serious after I attended the Happiest Pin Celebration on Earth last year and hauled back an obscene amount of pins.

But then, you find a few more very cute pins and start saying "oh, just one or two more...." and that does it. It can truly be an addiction. If I start hauling those huge luggage bags to pin events, it will be time to put me out of my misery.

:)

Zz.

TomorrowlandTyler

I have 300+ pins, 3bags, and 5 laynards.

Here are my EE pins on this Mickey Holder I got in Jan.:
EE_Pins.JPG

scorp111

My wife has between 150-200 pins now....

She started when we visited DLP in 2002.

She usually displays them on the big canvas boards that you can get at any craft store.

I have about 20 pins that I've accumulated from my last 3 trips to Disney. I especially like to collect ones of Cinderella's Castle, favorite rides, and Pluto. Yeeeep..... I'm a big dork. :sohappy:

P.S. If anyone is interested in getting pins NOW, www.disneydirect.com is having their semi-annual pin sale with a lot of good ones at reduced prices. Alas, many are already sold out, but it's worth a try anyway! I just ordered a few I wish I'd gotten on my last trip.

joanna71985

TimonRulz said:
Here is a question that I've always wondered... do cast members HAVE to trade you if you want a pin of theirs? I had always guessed that they wore pins that they were given, and weren't theirs, so if they were traded one, they didn't really lose anything. Is this correct?

There are a few exceptions to the trading rule.

1. The green lanyard one- only for trading with kids (already mentioned)

2. The CM has that pin on their lanyard (there isn't supposed to be duplicates of pins on lanyards)

3. The pin isn't a Disney pin

Nansafan

e4ymod said:
I only have pins that I've earned, either by going to a preview or attending a tour.

This is my way also. If I've stayed at the resort, I can get the pin (my very first pin was on of the Poly that broke and I've never seen it since then, was purchased in 1993). I also will not get an attraction pin unless I've done the attraction and enjoyed the attraction. My son when little bought me a couple as Christmas gifts, Mickey bowling and Mickey playing basketball because I like Mickey and I like bowling and he was on the school basketball team, etc. They started out on a hat, moved to a jacket now I have one of those pin briefcase type things. They do not travel with me and since I've got one from all the attractions I wanted, my new trip in April will only require the purchase of a pin for the resort (first time at Yacht Club) and maybe if I like the pin, one for EE.

GoofyFan1

All four of us have our own collection and pin bag. This year we will probably have to buy new bags. For us it's a great family hobby.

Warning: If you go on ebay for pins, as Tigsmom:wave: suggested, be careful. Sometimes quality is not so great and prices can be outrageous for simple rack pins.

seanmickey55

Tigsmom-
Have you been to World Of Disney on Fifth Avenue, NYC? They have alot of nice pins- not attractions and theme park, but some NYC based. I picked up a few two weeks ago to add to my collection.

Yukinon

I dont have very many, just ones that mean something to me. I have also entered the geekdom of online trading, which I absolutely love! I have such a thing for JDS and TDL pins, they are great! I have traded away pins that haven't meant as much to me to get some really awesome ones from Japan!

TimonRulz

BABAMICKEY said:

Wow, first timer! You'll have a BLAST!

As for the pin and lanyard set, I know the last three years I went, everyone got a set when they had the Magic Your Way package or whatever the package was called at the time. I was just now looking at the packages for 2006 and I don't see that listed as a feature. I see a Photopass picture, luggage tag, and Planet Hollywood coupon. Maybe they still give these out. Its a nice way to start your collection!
Have FUN! :wave:

Littlebit

ZapperZ said:
I'm starting to think that I should start going cold turkey myself, so certainly no offense taken there. I knew it was getting serious after I attended the Happiest Pin Celebration on Earth last year and hauled back an obscene amount of pins.

But then, you find a few more very cute pins and start saying "oh, just one or two more...." and that does it. It can truly be an addiction. If I start hauling those huge luggage bags to pin events, it will be time to put me out of my misery.

The whole collecting craze just became WAY too much of a negative for me. I was already upset about their first "go from park to park to park to get all of the Easter eggs" pin event...no offense to people who did it but I could think of other, more pleasant ways to spend my Easter Sunday. As for the straw that broke the camel's back...I don't remember exactly when it was (2001? 2002?), but it was the very first year they did monthly pin events The super-duper-super-special Ltd Ed 500 pin had Tinkerbell on it...and you know how Tinkerbell fans are (I'm something of a Tink fan, so I can say that)...so the plan was to camp out overnight, to make sure you're one of the first 250 bodies in the event (and you have to get there REALLY early because you know that someone's 2-hour-old baby counts as body to buy a pin). The event was being held at the Contemp and they let us park overnight at the TTC. We got there at 1:15 in the morning and sat there. And sat there. And sat there. For hours. And I think it was August so it was hot as hell. And muggy. But we didn't want to keep our car's A/C on while we were sleeping, in case we ran out of gas, so the windows were STILL open. And EVERYBODY was awake and talking and laughing and singing so there was no chance to catch a few ZZZ's in your car. And at 5:30 in the morning, exhausted and uncomfortable, I just looked at my husband and said, "I don't want to do this anymore." And that was it. Something inside of me just...broke. He drove me home and I never bought another pin again.

It's been almost 4 or 5 years since that time...I've got a house now...and what I wouldn't do to have the money I spent on those 5,000 pins. Thousands upon thousands upon thousands of dollars, all "invested" in little pieces of metal that sit in bags. Disney milked me dry and yes, I let them do it. But I'm done now.

pintraderpayee

My 12 year old daughter started trading last year. I started paying last year! Here are a few neat things we found out. Some of the CMs wear a lanyard that is a designated color that means that they can only trade with kids 12 and under. My daughter will still be under the wire for trip #6 in April! Also, sometimes the CM will have a "mystery" pin, one that is pinned backwards, that can be traded for. Sometimes it is just a regular pin, but occasionally it is a cool one (spinner, pin-on-pin, dangle, etc.). There is also a pin trader web site that shows upcoming pins and tells which park will have them. Many of the on-site resorts have pins with their insignia/logo on them.pintraderpayee6 weeks 6 days until my husband and I leave north Louisiana with 27 teens in a yellow limo (school bus) 930 miles of smiles and Disney tunes!!

ZapperZ

I'm sure at some point, we'll have a 12-step program for pin addict. :)

I haven't gotten to that stage yet. I try not to buy everything in sight, nor do I try to complete all collections. I think I'm at the stage where I try to buy very cheap, open-edition pins or even those booster set, and then try to do pin trading with cast members. I think it is more of the interactions with them, and other pin traders, that make it more enjoyable.

And I don't do e-bay at all. If I can't get it personally, then I don't buy it at all. And I actually enjoy those pin pursuit things. It gets me to various parts of WDW that I would never normally make an effort to go. It's the only reason I've had to actually visit Wide World of Sports. :)

I still love my pin collection. I look at my pin albums often. I rotate the display of jumbo pins on my display shelfs so that I get to look at all of them at some point. I don't want to just buy them - I want to enjoy them. I suppose at some point I'll probably get burned out on them. But till then, this is a lot of fun as long as one doesn't go overboard.

Zz.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom