Anybody get a 35% raise last year?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I just want to make sure we are on the same page.

When I posted this.

I was responding directly to this.

I think we are more or less on the same page, this year P&R CAPEX is 9.6 percent total of which 2% is growth CAPEX, By some estimates even maintenance CAPEX at P&R is about 2.5B behind depreciation so P&R assets are depreciating faster than they can be replaced.

@Nubs70 had an interesting post, the gist of which some analysts are becoming concerned with the overuse of stock repurchases.

the main point being that ROI on a repurchase is about 9% where investment in products is about 20%.

ParentsOf4

No I am not. I'm honestly sitting here telling you that your comment that there has been no investment in the parks is factually inaccurate.
@hakunamatata here is the link

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/a-spirited-perfect-ten.894588/page-67#post-6509986

@ParentsOf4 has a also has a graph of CAPEX for WDW from the beginning of the Eisner years through this year, It's not pretty.
I suggest you read this link:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/a-spirited-perfect-ten.894588/page-12#post-6493938

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Thank you @ParentsOf4 !

It seems people get all excited when Disneys says they are going to spend X billions on P&R, Whereas I tend to look at how much is DIS spending as a percentage of REVENUE on P&R and people forget that P&R also includes DCL as well.
I guess what I'm trying to get across was that the issue I took with the OP was a statement that was dramatic in nature "no investments in the parks" vs "little investments in the parks". Quite a few of us old timers who have the luxury of time and experience to reference understand that there are shortcomings in investing back into the parks. What I take exception to are the dramatic statements of one extreme or the other. Maybe it's because I'm over saturated with teenage drama from having a teenage daughter at home, or maybe it's because I have a mental disorder or something, but when I see some one make a declarative statement using always, never, all, everyone, etc., it's just my nature to try to interject a modicum of reasonableness to the conversation.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I guess what I'm trying to get across was that the issue I took with the OP was a statement that was dramatic in nature "no investments in the parks" vs "little investments in the parks". Quite a few of us old timers who have the luxury of time and experience to reference understand that there are shortcomings in investing back into the parks. What I take exception to are the dramatic statements of one extreme or the other. Maybe it's because I'm over saturated with teenage drama from having a teenage daughter at home, or maybe it's because I have a mental disorder or something, but when I see some one make a declarative statement using always, never, all, everyone, etc., it's just my nature to try to interject a modicum of reasonableness to the conversation.

Yes - very good points and I tend to use hyperbole to get people to notice things which tend to fly under the radar so to speak. That being said I want more soda detective work :)

MattM

Draw a trend line through it - you will do the same as a whole market index fund, when the market goes down DIS goes down when it goes up DIS goes up.

As someone with fairly substantial holdings in DIS - I AM NOT HAPPY WITH ITS PERFORMANCE year over year.
As someone who has owned Disney from the $17 range, nearly a 7 figure trade, I am extremely happy. I'm not sure what you have to be unhappy about.

Here's a 1 year chart against VTSMX, Vanguard's total market index fund

Here's a 5 year

Here's a 10 year

Todd H

2% raise here, but between health care, 401K, home/auto insurance costs I lost money...

Same here. Last year I got a 1% raise, which was the first raise I had received in around 7 years. I also had to suffer through furloughs a few of those years as well. During this time the cost of living went up, insurance went up, etc. I've been bringing home less and less every year. I also went back to college for my MBA and was shocked at how high tuition had become since I graduated in the 90's. I can see why the middle class continues to shrink year in and year out.

NelsonRD

If Disney went out and found someone who was well qualified to run the company and was willing to take $3M per year, do you think that the company would perform 15.5 times worse? No one is worth $46.5M per year, it's just insanity.

But, what if you made that much, then what? Where is the hate for the big bang idiots making 1M for 22 minutes of fake childish humor? Where is the hate for athletes?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If Disney went out and found someone who was well qualified to run the company and was willing to take $3M per year, do you think that the company would perform 15.5 times worse? No one is worth $46.5M per year, it's just insanity.

I'm sure we can find an offshore executive who will be more than happy to to take on the task for a few hundred thousand.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
As someone who has owned Disney from the $17 range, nearly a 7 figure trade, I am extremely happy. I'm not sure what you have to be unhappy about.

Here's a 1 year chart against VTSMX, Vanguard's total market index fund

Here's a 5 year

Here's a 10 year

I'm unhappy because the current executive team is leaving NOTHING in the pipeline, the current share prices are being bolstered by repurchases and in FY 2014 TWDC spent 6.5 BILLION on stock repurchases, Not new acquisitions. Right now analysts on the 'Street are evenly split between buy and hold hardly a resounding vote of confidence in TWDC's future direction.

In a game of musical chairs I don't want to be the one without the chair.

Right now the most profitable part of TWDC is the cable networks, If the FCC approves ala carte cable channels Disney will be decimated because they have no DISTRIBUTION assets, Just IP and Cable properties and hundreds of thousands of repurchased shares.

TWDC only has 3.3 billion in the bank right now. They could run out runway real fast if the stars dont align perfectly going forward.

CarlFredricksen

Everyone here is so critical of him claiming he doesn't deserve his money in part because of the discrepancy in his pay vs low wage employees.
So your solution is to oust him and pay his successor less?
If we are paying everyone less and devaluing what someone can bring to the table, I think the low wage employees make too much for what they do and should also get a pay cut.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom