Any update on the final tests of the 4 year old who died after riding mission space?

steruth

Original Poster
I am visiting Florida this October and getting married while I am over thereI have travelled here now about 8 times, each time thoroughly enjoying it better than the last. I have recently found this webiste and cam across the disturbing news of the 4 year old on misson space of which I have never read such disturbing news @ disney before. I have read the story and searched the web for more up to date news on this as to the coroners final report and cannot find a thing? The reason I was so concerned is that I am taking my four year old boy and his cousin with me who is also 4 and while I would not take them on any ride I did not consider appropriate for a four year old, I just wanted to get all the facts before I go to the park.

Can anyone update me further please?

Thanks so much

steruth

Original Poster
Thank you

Thanks for the reply. I know I am a little late than everyone else, but it is such a sad thing to happen for someone as young to be taken so quickly at any time.
my sympathy to the whole family and I hope when the results come through they make some sense of this whole tragedy.

steruth

Original Poster
I thought she got off the slide and ws asked by disney if she was ok and she replied yes. then moments later apparently collapsed and they tried her pulse etc then performed resussiation and she unfortunately died? Sounds to me like too much heat?? But I am no doctor so lets see what the outcome is? Whatever it is so sad again to hear of these unfortunate events. Sympathy to the family

peter11435

steruth said:
I thought she got off the slide and ws asked by disney if she was ok and she replied yes. then moments later apparently collapsed and they tried her pulse etc then performed resussiation and she unfortunately died? Sounds to me like too much heat?? But I am no doctor so lets see what the outcome is? Whatever it is so sad again to hear of these unfortunate events. Sympathy to the family
There was never a slide involved. She was out of the wave pool.

col

it is sad but on one of the sites that i was reading about the girl it also said that the girl who was rushed to hospital after riding the tower of terror was still in a critical condition in hospital. what month did this happen in again coz i cant remember and does anyone know if she is improving?my thoughts go to the family of the typhoon lagoon girl.

peter11435

col said:
it is sad but on one of the sites that i was reading about the girl it also said that the girl who was rushed to hospital after riding the tower of terror was still in a critical condition in hospital. what month did this happen in again coz i cant remember and does anyone know if she is improving?my thoughts go to the family of the typhoon lagoon girl.
They have no way of knowing that the girl is in critical condition. The incident on ToT happened a while ago and at his point it would be up to the family to release information (which they have not). That said the medias info about her still being in critical condition is as of the last time they were updated in her condtion a month ago. Moral = Never trust the media.

col

peter11435 said:
They have no way of knowing that the girl is in critical condition. The incident on ToT happened a while ago and at his point it would be up to the family to release information (which they have not). That said the medias info about her still being in critical condition is as of the last time they were updated in her condtion a month ago. Moral = Never trust the media.

i know never to trust the media, i dont believe anything that i read on the internet as everything spreads lies : people,the news,television, the internet, newspapers.
if i think its true then i may choose to believe it that is up to me.

DisneyBride94

In regards to your primary question--is Mission Space appropriate for your 4 year old? I'd have to give that a definite NO...it is not appropriate for a 4 year old...even though the boys may be just tall enough to meet the height limitations.

Though I myself have ridden the ride several times and enjoyed the experience... it is a very realistic simulation that could be psychologically overwhelming for a young child to can't always discern where the line is drawn between reality and imagination. I can only compare it to my brother's reaction to the long defunct 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea attraction that used to be at Disney World--he REALLY believe he was deep under the water, and had a panic attack. Mission Space is way more intense than that old right ever was.

I have a 5 year old and we are headed down in October as well. While I will take him on many of the rides he is now tall enough to ride, I will NOT take him on Mission Space. I really don't think it is appropriate for a child under 8 or perhaps even 10.

I don't think that the ride caused that child's death. I sincerely believe that the boy had some underlying health condition that was aggrivated by the ride's effects. Nothing about that right feels in the least bit unsafe--but like anything else...one CAN get scared to death.

As for the girl at Typhoon Lagoon... she was not on any ride or slide or even in the water at the wave pool when she was questioned by the life guard. She was on dry land...and she said she was fine and declined assistance. My friend Beth was at Magic Kingdom that day and said it was an extremely hot day--she said that she was dizzy from the heat and didn't feel well. My best guess is that she suffered from heat stroke and/or dehydration.

MrNonacho

Premium Member
DisneyBride94 said:
My friend Beth was at Magic Kingdom that day and said it was an extremely hot day

That it was. No rain until the late evening (with some really neat lightning near Epcot).

steruth

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies. I will be so cautious with the rides, but will make sure at the same time that the children have the most fun, as it is their holiday. There are 17 of us in total, so I will assess on the ride itself and not on the height requirement. I took my two nieces from the same family on two seperate years to disney and they wanted to try everything. They were both 5/6 at the time and went on the TOT without a problem, totally enjoyed and went on a lot of times. However some of the larger rides I did draw a line at. This is not to say that all 5/6 year olds are safe to ride the TOT. I think it is at the parents discretion and common sense. Both of the girls are pretty tall for their age and appear alot older than what they were. Also had riden alot of rides in the UK with now problems! They at the time passed the height requirements for disney and I let them ride!

RogueHabit

I have to disagree with some of the preceeding comments; I think you have to judge your child, more than try and second guess the height restriction.

The Height requirement is one thing, but also take into account the other information you are given before entering the ride, such as ride intensity.

Personally we're taking our 4 year old along and she's itching to get on M:S. Having ridden it last year I have no worries about her enjoying it. As long as I properly supervise her and prepare her for the ride I see no problem.

Let's not forget that the idea is that you feel like you're really on a spaceship. Just as 20000 Leagues was meant to feel like a real sub.

The underlying question is not whether they can tell it's a simulation, but rather can they stand and, more importantly, enjoy the simulation and get safe entertainment from it? With my daughter I believe the answer is yes. A veteran of ToT and Testtrack at 3 years old, she's tall for her age, she loves high speed rides and is gutted she can't get on things like RRC at the studios or even, would you believe, Dualing Dragons over at IOA....

So my advice is assess your child(ren) for there ability to ride an intense experience. The ride is safe for them from a physical point of view; medical conditions withstanding of course.

tripplanner

col said:
We were there during that accident. I can't remember the exact date but it was either July 12th or 13th.

kreiderr

Thoughts on Mission Space

In my opinion, Mission Space is not meant for a four year old. If this is your child's first time at Disney, let them enjoy the rides that are meant for them. If you rush them onto rides like this, there's nothing to look forward to as they get older. My daughter is 7 and has been to Disney 5 times, the first time when she was two. Each year we've added new rides. When she was five we allowed her to try out Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain and she loved them. However, I have still not allowed her to go on the following: Space Mountain, Alien Encounter (I may not allow her on, even though Stitch is now the Alien) Tower of Terror, Aerosmith, Test Tack, Dinosaur, and a few others. When we go in April she will be 7 and she desparately wants to go on Dinosaur and Tower of Terror. It gives her something to look forward to. When I heard that a four year old had collapsed and later died after riding Mission Space, I placed the full blame on the parents, because Disney warns you about a dozen times before you get on. As a parent, use good judgement. This trip is about your child. Four year olds need to spend a great deal of time in Fantasy Land and meeting characters, not scared to death. (a bad pun)

Iakona

Catch 22 said:
I have to disagree with some of the preceeding comments; I think you have to judge your child, more than try and second guess the height restriction.

The Height requirement is one thing, but also take into account the other information you are given before entering the ride, such as ride intensity.

Personally we're taking our 4 year old along and she's itching to get on M:S. Having ridden it last year I have no worries about her enjoying it. As long as I properly supervise her and prepare her for the ride I see no problem.

Let's not forget that the idea is that you feel like you're really on a spaceship. Just as 20000 Leagues was meant to feel like a real sub.

The underlying question is not whether they can tell it's a simulation, but rather can they stand and, more importantly, enjoy the simulation and get safe entertainment from it? With my daughter I believe the answer is yes. A veteran of ToT and Testtrack at 3 years old, she's tall for her age, she loves high speed rides and is gutted she can't get on things like RRC at the studios or even, would you believe, Dualing Dragons over at IOA....

So my advice is assess your child(ren) for there ability to ride an intense experience. The ride is safe for them from a physical point of view; medical conditions withstanding of course.

I totally agree with this post. You need to evaluate your child and their mental maturity. Pre-existing physical conditions would of course be a disqualifier. However, pediatricians have stated that a childs body (with no pre-existin condition) is more able to handle rides than an adults.

Most height requirements are a result of restraint systems (ie. Space Mountain, BTMRR) or an attempt to somehow govern the age group that experiences the attraction (Stitch).

Personally, I did not think that MS was too intense for all 4 year olds, but it should definately be evaluated by the parent before hand.

mwc1996

My seven year old rode Mission Space last year and loved it. Alos my 7, 6, and just turned 5 year olds rode Test track and all loved it. They wanted to ride those rides so we let them. ToT and RnRC were to big and scary for them so they didn't ride. As long as they are old enough to understand what they are going to experience and want to ride the ride then I will let my kids ride. If they are scared of it then we don't ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom