Any Universal Orlando employees here?

Michael72688

Original Poster
I was wondering if any here could tell me how it was to work at Universal cause I hope to be getting a job there later this summer, what is the general pay, overall moral, is it fun, etc.

Frees Fan

Hey Michael...I don't work there but a good friend of mine did. He told me the pay was MUCH better than Disney and they weren't as particular about facial hair. I still can't understand that one at Disney. Oh well...their choice I guess.

I know the parks don't stay open as late as WDW so that's good if you don't want to work too late. If I were to choose between WDW and USO/IOA, I would take Universal hands down. Mainly because of the money, hours and I have a goatee that I'm not going to shave off for a mouse. Don't get me wrong...I really like WDW but, when I went over to the DRC (Disney Reservation Center) for an interview several weeks ago, it was down right scary looking at the people there...they were all way too happy! Sometimes I wonder what they do to people once get hired on at WDW.

:goodnevil

Michael72688

Original Poster
great, hopefully I'll be able to get a job! this is good, cause so far I havent really heard too many good things about working for Disney as an hourly employee

Frees Fan

And you probably won't hear too many good things about Disney for an hourly position. Remember...you have to WANT to work there...not HAVE to work there to support yourself.

As far as the facial hair thing goes, Disney does not allow any facial hair except a nicely groomed mustache. That's a pretty new change too. I thought it was funny in the days of NO facial hair that Walt himself had a stache and the company bearing his name forbade it. SILLY! I don't think facial hair...with very few exceptions...should be banned or even thought of negatively. I can't imagine someone coming up to a CM and telling him that he looks like a thug because he has a goatee...like I do..hehe.

Anyway, when/if you get an interview with Disney, good luck and remember they have 4 NON-NEGOTIABLE terms for employment with the company.

1.) NO facial hair except a nicely groomed mustache.
2.) Have reliable transportation to and from work.
3.) Be able to pass a drug/criminal background check.
4.) I CAN'T BLOODY REMEMBER THE 4TH THING!

:king:

Dizneydude87

For those of you who read my other thread about me wanting/ getting a job at Disney... Disney hasn't called yet. So, I just got hired at UO! Yay! My orientation is on the 23rd. I have a few questions...

1. What is the Take One! orientation like?
2. Do seasonal employees get into parks?
How manny complimentary emp. tickets do you get for family and friends?
When do you get them?
3. Where do you clock in at and stuff?
4. Anyone know the uniform for Burger Digs in JP?
5. Anyone want to come and see me when I start? lol. ;)
6. Do they use the P-tram in the Team Member P-Lot?
7. Anything else really cool about woring there?

That's about all I can think of for now. I know they'll prolly answer all these and more at Take One! but I am impatient. I am so excited. YAY!

Legacy

To answer a couple of your questions...

2.Yes, seasonals do get into the parks.

You get two comps every quarter. You have to work at least one shift in order to be eligible for that quarter. The long you work there, the more comps you get.

3.You clock in at Wardrobe, unless you work at IOA. There, I don't know.

4.Burger Digs wears a safari-type costume.

5.I'll be down in July. I'll see what I can do.

6.Occasionally...

7.You get to wear mustaches.

Dizneydude87

Lol. That's cool. So like... you have to work at least one day (shift) to get the tickets? Do they send them to you or give them to you in your paycheck? Also... July 2nd and rd I have to go to Tallahasse for my brother and I wont be able to work... will they give us a chace to do requests off and studd? Thank you.

Legacy

You pick up the tickets at the Human Resources building. There is a back entrance by Wardrobe that you go through and you pick them up.

In regards to waiting those days off, you best hope you start work after the third. You would very hard pressed to get those days off so soon after you start working...

Sorry

Dizneydude87

Take One! is on the 23rd... IOA Now is on the 25th and the other one is tbd. Do you think I'll officialy start before the thrid anyway? Are they going to ask me when I can start or anything like that at orientation? I have no way of getting out of this, if I could... I would. Lol. A weekend with my annoying and 'thinks he's my dad' brother is not my idea of fun.

I do hope there is something I can do about this though. I know it's a bad weekend and all, but maybe they wont start me till after the 3rd or maybe the last orientation wont be until after then.

Any suggestions?

Legacy

Dizneydude87 said:
Take One! is on the 23rd... IOA Now is on the 25th and the other one is tbd. Do you think I'll officialy start before the thrid anyway? Are they going to ask me when I can start or anything like that at orientation? I have no way of getting out of this, if I could... I would. Lol. A weekend with my annoying and 'thinks he's my dad' brother is not my idea of fun.

I do hope there is something I can do about this though. I know it's a bad weekend and all, but maybe they wont start me till after the 3rd or maybe the last orientation wont be until after then.

Any suggestions?
I don't have a lot of advice on how when your starting date might be. When I worked I had a set rehersal date and set performance dates... nothing besides that. I have a feeling that with IOA Now happening two days after your initial orientation it seems like they are trying to push in as soon as possible so they can use you for the 4th. I imagine that your third orientation would be be next Monday or Tuesday and then your first day would the following day. That might sound good to you (hey, no trip right?), but it also means that they will be trying to speed up your acclimation to the parks. Your best bet is if they ask when you are available to start, let it known. They will ask you either at IOA Now or the third orientation (probably IOA Now). Good luck, and let me know how things work out.

Jeff (Legacy)

Dizneydude87

Thank you. I hope they ask me. I think I'll be able to get out of going on Friday... wake up really early and Saturday and be back really early to work like after 5 or 6 or so. It seems like all of the shifts for the most part are like open-middle of the day... middle of the day- close. Thanks for replying, I am so excited.

Dizneydude87

Okay, it's all good. Food for Thought isn't until the 7th. Anyway, today was fun. Universal is great with there employees. Amazing benefits... I had no idea you get into BG, SW and Adventure Island for free. Also, $12.00 admission to Wet N' Wild isn't bad either!

The Grill is awsome. Cheap food that's yummy too. I'm talking $3.00 for a cheeseburger, fries and a drink cheap. I can't wait until Friday for the IOA Now orientation. Seeing all of the backstage areas is really cool, and it's cool the employees can acsess them whenever.

I am so happy to be working at UO- home of the "We're so proud!" parking structures.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Dizneydude87 said:
Okay, it's all good. Food for Thought isn't until the 7th. Anyway, today was fun. Universal is great with there employees. Amazing benefits... I had no idea you get into BG, SW and Adventure Island for free. Also, $12.00 admission to Wet N' Wild isn't bad either!

The Grill is awsome. Cheap food that's yummy too. I'm talking $3.00 for a cheeseburger, fries and a drink cheap. I can't wait until Friday for the IOA Now orientation. Seeing all of the backstage areas is really cool, and it's cool the employees can acsess them whenever.

I am so happy to be working at UO- home of the "We're so proud!" parking structures.

The grill is overrated. The USF grille and IOasis aren't bad... but AVOID the mini-grilles at all costs.

Dizneydude87

mkt said:
The grill is overrated. The USF grille and IOasis aren't bad... but AVOID the mini-grilles at all costs.

Lol. I was just so shocked at how cheap it was.

I am going to try and go early so I can ride ROTM, I haven't been on it yet.

When you were at orientation, did you have the Brice guy? He was the Caretaker for HHN. Him and the Flinstone girl were really cool. Gotta love all the, "We will win!" stuff all over... hmm... is this symobolic, well, not symbolic, but about Disney? Lol.

Brice (Bryce ]sp??]) was like, "Okay, everyone say it now! Say Disney! You wont explode." It was really funny.

Anyway, so what all does the Ioassis have? Is it the same stuff all around, or differnt each Grille place?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom