Any tips on keeping my kid IN the resort room?

JennSmith

Original Poster
We are staying in a Lion King suite at the AoA in September. It will be the first time my 6 year old has ever stayed in a hotel and I am slightly terrified that he will wake up before any of us and take it upon himself to leave the room. All but 1 of us are HEAVY sleepers. There will be 6 of us all together and so I doubt that all of us would be sleeping past him but still, I am a spaz so I worry about this. Does anyone have any tips or know of any security devices I can purchase that would sound an alarm if he tried to open the door...or even prevent him from doing so all together?
A few things...
1. Yes, he is 6 and should know better and probably won't even attempt to leave the room alone, but kids sometimes do dumb things, and I am a spaz remember? :)
2. Yes, I will explain to him numerous times that he needs to wake one of us up immediately if he gets up first.
3. He is freakishly strong so some of the door stopper security things I have seen may not stop him. He is also pretty tall so he will be able to reach the top lock thing.
4. Yes, I will set an alarm for myself each morning in hopes to being awake before him.
5. Yes, I plan on having him sleep in the actual bedroom with me so he will have to go through an extra door, (this is the door I would like to stick an alarm on :))
6. No, I cannot help the fact that I am a heavy sleeper so please try not to be judgy and just offer tips if you have them.
I am ESPECIALLY paranoid now after hearing about the poor baby at AoA that drowned yesterday. I am literally sick to my stomach thinking of how heartbroken the parents must be. It kills me :(

pixiesteno

In addition to all the security on the doors, arrange to have a wake up call at a set time and have your six year old be the one to receive the call. They have it where you can get a character call so kind of make it his responsibility to get the call and let everyone else know who the character call of the day was from. Also take every opportunity to have him walk at the parks, resort, swimming, etc. to help wear him out a bit so that he sleeps well. Best of luck and enjoy your trip!

JennSmith

Original Poster
In addition to all the security on the doors, arrange to have a wake up call at a set time and have your six year old be the one to receive the call. They have it where you can get a character call so kind of make it his responsibility to get the call and let everyone else know who the character call of the day was from. Also take every opportunity to have him walk at the parks, resort, swimming, etc. to help wear him out a bit so that he sleeps well. Best of luck and enjoy your trip!

That's a good idea too - thanks!!

popcenturylover

They no longer do the character wake-up calls. It's just a generic wake-up like most hotel rooms.

smk

. He is freakishly strong so some of the door stopper security things I have seen may not stop him. He is also pretty tall so he will be able to reach the top lock thing.
Some of those door stoppers have a sound that could quite literally wake up Walt up himself. Surely if you used one of those even the sound sleepers would wake.

Blairnicol

When I was there in May it was still a character doing the wake-up calls. You can't pick the character, but it was a character. In August & December it was Olaf (shocker), but it was someone diffract in May. I think Goofy or the like.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
They no longer do the character wake-up calls. It's just a generic wake-up like most hotel rooms.

Since when? I was there in March and my wake up call had a character talking when I picked up.

And to the original post...do you have an iPad or something that he could play games on? If he woke up before everyone that could be something he could do quietly while others were sleeping. You could keep it in the room and he could get up for that, it could be like a treat to play on the iPad.

popcenturylover

Since when? I was there in March and my wake up call had a character talking when I picked up.

And to the original post...do you have an iPad or something that he could play games on? If he woke up before everyone that could be something he could do quietly while others were sleeping. You could keep it in the room and he could get up for that, it could be like a treat to play on the iPad.
We were there the first week in May & it was just a generic wake-up.(?)

Last edited:

JennSmith

Original Poster

Yes, I do plan on bringing it too :)

Belle_MTL

How tall is he? I worried about all this as well, but when we stayed at the AKL the latch was pretty high. When we stay at FW my 4 year can open the door, but thankfully those doors are super loud. What about buying him a new toy on day one? We did this once and my son would wake up and just want to play with the new toy. Or give him a challenge, like tell him when he wakes up he has to look for all the hidden Mickey's in the room.
As for the unfortunate incident at AoA, knowing Disney they likely put in new security protocols. I know it's hard not to worry though, I'm a spaz like you!

JennSmith

Original Poster
How tall is he? I worried about all this as well, but when we stayed at the AKL the latch was pretty high. When we stay at FW my 4 year can open the door, but thankfully those doors are super loud. What about buying him a new toy on day one? We did this once and my son would wake up and just want to play with the new toy. Or give him a challenge, like tell him when he wakes up he has to look for all the hidden Mickey's in the room.
As for the unfortunate incident at AoA, knowing Disney they likely put in new security protocols. I know it's hard not to worry though, I'm a spaz like you!

He is like 3'10". I am hoping the latch is too high for him to reach. He can reach the one on our door at home though, (long arms, I guess?), but fingers crossed that the one in the resort is higher. I also bought the security alarm things that Master Yoda mentioned. I know it will be fine. I know he will more than likely listen to us when we warn him of the dangers, I know I am worrying too much but I would rather be safe than sorry :)

HouCuseChickie

OK...I don't know how heavy of a sleeper you are, but we've added things to various doors at home just to signal us if one of the kids has left their room when they're supposed to be sleeping. The more subtle option was mardi gras beads. The strands clacking against the door can be pretty loud. Still, the best was a big thing of heavy duty sleigh bells. Seriously. The metal alone hitting the door is LOUD, but add on the jingling and I think even your neighbors would wake up. I am not a heavy sleeper, but my husband is and I know he sometimes heard the beads and he definitely woke from the bells. I know they may not be the most practical options, but just an idea since they will surely make noise if he tries to use the door or remove them from the door.

As a way to augment this...you could travel with a monitor. Most monitors amplify the sound. So, if you were to put a receiver near the door and the speaker end near the bed, it might be alarm style loud should he try and use the door with beads or bells.

JennSmith

Original Poster
OK...I don't know how heavy of a sleeper you are, but we've added things to various doors at home just to signal us if one of the kids has left their room when they're supposed to be sleeping. The more subtle option was mardi gras beads. The strands clacking against the door can be pretty loud. Still, the best was a big thing of heavy duty sleigh bells. Seriously. The metal alone hitting the door is LOUD, but add on the jingling and I think even your neighbors would wake up. I am not a heavy sleeper, but my husband is and I know he sometimes heard the beads and he definitely woke from the bells. I know they may not be the most practical options, but just an idea since they will surely make noise if he tries to use the door or remove them from the door.

As a way to augment this...you could travel with a monitor. Most monitors amplify the sound. So, if you were to put a receiver near the door and the speaker end near the bed, it might be alarm style loud should he try and use the door with beads or bells.

These are great ideas too - thank you!! :)

JennSmith

Original Poster
These are all really great ideas! More than anything I just want to thank everyone for not being judgy turds. My son is a good kid - he DOES listen but yes, there are times when he does some stuff and I think/say to him, "what in the heck were you thinking?!". Like I said, I am sure it is all in my head but I am a super paranoid person who constantly invents made up problems in my head all the time. So I just want to be safe. Thanks again :)
images

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom