any tips for the Disney Diet?

captain_eo

Original Poster
Ok, here's my scenario -- I'm going to be at Disneyworld the first week in Jan, and I can't wait.

The problem -- I have been working my butt off to lose weight for the last year, and I have finally hit a healthy weight. Of course, now I know I have to allow for a few pouns to be gained over the next 5 weeks of holiday eating, but I want to get back on the horse as soon as Christmas is over. Therefore, I don't want to be eating unhealthy at Dinseyworld.

I've already made the first big step -- booking us at a resort that has a workout center. Now the big question is, how do I eat at Disneyworld and not put on the pounds?

I'm sure lots of others have had similar experiences, so are there any tips you can give me? What/where to eat, what/where not to eat?

I'm guessing that Disney isn't exactly forthright with their nutritional info, and even if they are, I don't want to have to spend every last minute pf ,y trip breaking down the calories. I'm hoping if I am prepared in advance, then I can make wise choices while I am there and not have to worry about it, so I can enjoy my vacation.

So if anyone's got some advice, lay it on me!

thanks

tigsmom

Good for you! :sohappy:

The best thing that I've found is to try to stay away from the fried junk. The Disney chefs have started to put some really great healthier foods on the menu. I always have a salad at dinner and I try to have one for lunch too. Try to stay away from anything that has a heavy sauce and you can ask for gravies on the side. Go easy on the salad dressings, ketchup and the like, they are loaded with calories and salt. I try to stick with grilled or roasted chicken and fish, though I do have a hot dog at Casey's. If I have a dessert I try to share with one of the kids that way I don't have too much. Always have a decent breakfast as that will keep you steady throughout the day.

There is no use in abstaining from all of the goodies, allow yourself one a day...a churro, a Mickey bar, funnel cake, etc. And don't feel that you have to finish everything you are served.

Have a look thru the menus and see what restaurant serves things you like and are on or close to your eating plan. All the walking you will do will burn those extra calories. Drink water as much as you can and try to limit your soda and alcohol intake (if you are into that) to just one a day. Everything in moderation is the key. Best of luck and enjoy your vacation. :wave:

vmk4eva

Ok, here's my scenario -- I'm going to be at Disneyworld the first week in Jan, and I can't wait.

The problem -- I have been working my butt off to lose weight for the last year, and I have finally hit a healthy weight. Of course, now I know I have to allow for a few pouns to be gained over the next 5 weeks of holiday eating, but I want to get back on the horse as soon as Christmas is over. Therefore, I don't want to be eating unhealthy at Dinseyworld.

I've already made the first big step -- booking us at a resort that has a workout center. Now the big question is, how do I eat at Disneyworld and not put on the pounds?

I'm sure lots of others have had similar experiences, so are there any tips you can give me? What/where to eat, what/where not to eat?

I'm guessing that Disney isn't exactly forthright with their nutritional info, and even if they are, I don't want to have to spend every last minute pf ,y trip breaking down the calories. I'm hoping if I am prepared in advance, then I can make wise choices while I am there and not have to worry about it, so I can enjoy my vacation.

So if anyone's got some advice, lay it on me!

thanks
Dont eat any thing that you think is junk food: chips,candy,cotton candy,or pretzals.

captain_eo

Original Poster
thanks for the tips, everyone!

What about specific restaurants -- have you found any to have healther choices than others?

DisneyLindz

The last time I went to Disney, I tried watching what I ate because as I get older (only 24....) my stomach can't handle a lot of junk food and fried foods.
I found decently healthy food at most places we ate. Most places have a chicken dish, such as a grilled chicken sandwich or caesar salad. A lot of sit down restaurants have fish also. Go for the fresh stuff, grilled stuff, and eat the occaisional fatty dessert. :) It's ok to treat yourself to "bad" food, you're going to be in DISNEY!!!!

natalia1681

Don't forget that you will be walking quite a bit during the day, too. All of that hoofing around the parks burns calories!!:animwink:

DiPSU224

Tigsmom had some great pointers. I always say I'm going to be good when I go down there and then get swept up in the atmosphere and the healthy eating goes out the window.
Ever think of maybe watching what you eat over the holidays (if that's possible :lol: ) that way you don't have to worry so much what you eat when you get down there? Good luck!

lawyergirl77

thanks for the tips, everyone!

What about specific restaurants -- have you found any to have healther choices than others?
I don't think that there is any one restaurant that will have more healthy rather than unhealthy options for you. They all have a mix of both, and while that is one of the things I love about WDW food, it is often pretty hard to stay away from the calorie-laden yumminess, especially seeing as I usually try to justify it by saying "well, I'm clearly walking WAY more than usual, so something fried for breakkie, lunch, and dinner is no problem!!" :lol:

That being said, my impression is that some of the World Showcase restaurants (Japan and France come to mind) and signature dining places seem to have fewer fried junk than other places, and can often get VERY creative with some simple and healthy ingredients.

If your family does want a buffet, I would suggest Boma, if only because of the awesome array of salads and other super-fresh items that they have there... But, don't be deceived, because there are some pretty heavy and sauce laden things to tempt you in the various pods... but they're soooo good that it's worth the cheat!! :slurp:

tigsmom

captain_eo

Original Poster
Tigsmom had some great pointers. I always say I'm going to be good when I go down there and then get swept up in the atmosphere and the healthy eating goes out the window.
Ever think of maybe watching what you eat over the holidays (if that's possible :lol: ) that way you don't have to worry so much what you eat when you get down there? Good luck!

I certainly thought about that. I figured, what would be easier -- staying healthy for 5 days at WDW, or 5 weeks of the holidays?

Plus, the options are fewer during the holidays. When you go out, there's often little to choose from. But when I'm at WDW, there's hundreds of restaurants to pick from, so it shouldn't be too hired to find something low fat to eat.

EPCOT.nut

I know all about trying to do WDW and eat well. I am vegetarian! What a PIA! :lol: OK, seriously, EPCOT is really easy to eat healthy. I try to be there around meals and have left other parks to eat at EPCOT. The restaurant in the Land Pavilion is a good choice. I think it is Garden Grill. Also in Italy they have a Caprese salad which is mozarella cheese and fresh tomatoes. In Canada at Le Cellar I had an Amazing salad, but I ate the heck out of the bread. The waitress even gave me xtra bread to take home free of charge! YAY!

I try not to eat at MK because it is really hard to be good there. Amber Waves of Grain in Liberty Tree is really healthy also. Unless you to go WDW all the time I wouldn't plan to diet there. If you just avoid the fries and fried foods that would probably be OK. Others said to watch your portions and just not eat the whole meal yourself. That is probably the best advice.
GOOD LUCK!

tink rules

Don't forget also that there are healthy choices out there.. EVEN us unhealthy people eat them too....

In Adventureland - same place they sell the Dole Whips.. they also sell spears of pineapple....

Look for things like that and you should be ok...

Dagger

Hey there,

Just wanted to say congrats on your healthy LIFESTYLE and that's definitely what it is. I gained 65lbs with my pregnancy and then added on 10lbs AFTER she was born! When my daughter was 5 mos (last January) I decided to change my life. I joined a gym and began eating healthy. To date, I've lost exactly 75 pounds and I feel great. I am healthier than ever before and I am even smaller than ever before because I lost it the *right* way rather than fad/rollercoaster dieting. My wedding is 2 weeks from today with my subsequent WDW honeymoon following so I didn't even really eat on Thanksgiving because I have a goal in mind and I know *the food will be there next time!* You have to remember that even though there is a bag of cookies in your house, you don't have to eat it. If you weren't there to eat it, it would go to waste...so let it! It's not your job to clean your plate out of guilty either. I had to remind myself of these things a lot in the past year.

That said, my best advice is to yes, work out on your vacation if you'd like.... but then let yourself indulge a little bit!! You only live once and vacations don't happen every month (and if you're rich enough that they do, then take a few less a year and get a personal trainer/nutritionist.) Try and make the most of your meals and still eat healthily. Order the yummy foods when in nicer restaurants, but ask them to prepare them a certain way (grilled, light oil, veggies instead of mashed potatoes, etc.)

In WDW, even with all the eating, I always lose weight because of so much walking around. It's like constant exercise. Take a few extra trips around the world instead of going to the gym if you want!

Best wishes and have a BLAST!!!!!!!

Lucky

We were on the dining plan and ate tons of food, but didn't gain any weight because we were at the parks all day and burned hundreds of extra calories walking.

Debbie

Weight gain is not usually a problem for me. I lost 8lbs one of the last times I was at WDW. My pedometer logged 24 miles for 4 days! Drink plenty of water and walk around World Showcase an extra time and enjoy!

sarajo

Prior to my pregnancies, I was doing Weight Watchers, and using the tools that I'd learned there, I was actually able to lose weight while at Disney. What I did was work out daily (in addition to just walking the parks), wrote down everything that entered my mouth (a pain, yes... but it made me very aware of what I was eating) and drank tons of water. I never felt I was depriving myself of anything- I always ate what I wanted, but in moderation. Plus, the daily work-out actually made me more energized for walking the parks.

Continued good luck on your weight loss, and eat responsibly during the holidays and at Disney-- it is possible! :) :) :)

Debbie

Prior to my pregnancies, I was doing Weight Watchers, and using the tools that I'd learned there, I was actually able to lose weight while at Disney. What I did was <a href="http://forums.wdwmagic.com/search/work">work</a> out daily (in addition to just walking the parks), wrote down everything that entered my mouth (a <a href="http://forums.wdwmagic.com/?s=pain">pain</a>, yes... but it made me very aware of what I was eating) and drank tons of water. I never felt I was depriving myself of anything- I always ate what I wanted, but in moderation. Plus, the daily work-out actually made me more energized for walking the parks.

Continued good <a href="http://forums.wdwmagic.com/?s=luck">luck</a> on your weight loss, and eat responsibly during the holidays and at Disney-- it is possible! :) :) :)

I know it's a bit off-topic; but pregnancy weight is the hardest thing to lose! I've been trying off and on for almost 12 years! I have lost 60 lbs and after the holidays; plan to work on getting another 50 off.
One thing I've found to work is skipping the carbs; even in DisneyWorld. I'll eat the burger; skip the fries and dessert. Eat salad first; then main course (never finish it). Good luck, and mostly enjoy your visit. You will walk so much, that I wouldn't worry so much about weight gain there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom