Any tips for an AKL newbie?

crazygirley

We will be leaving for WDW next Friday, and we will be staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge for the first time. We have never been to or seen the resort, so we have no idea what lies ahead. Does anyone have any tips, suggestions, comments or things we should know before we go? Anything would be helpful, as we want to make the most of our stay there, and we won't have a savannah view room. Thanks for the help!

DisneyPhD

Hi, :wave:

No tips, I just wanted to say hi and have a great trip. I haven't stayed at ALK yet, I haven't even visited there yet, but I think we will try to eat a Bomos (I know I spelled it wrong, I can't remember the name) on our next trip in Aug.

I know you will have a great time!!!!!!!!!!! Have a Zip a Dee Do Da DaY:)

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Try to get more than one resort map. The layout can be a little confusing. Also, the back will have a listing of activities, such as flamingo feedings, storytelling, etc.

Please explore the whole resort! Aside from the main viewing areas, there are lots of quiet overlooks (with comfy rocking chairs) and little nooks with comfortable seating for sitting quietly. There are also many hall windows that look out over the savanna. There are also some quiet areas near the pool. (behind some of the rocks)

Upvote 0

kevlightyear

I'm also going to AKL next week, and we were wondering about the restaurants there. There isn't a food court type place like at Coronado or Port Orleans is there? What would one do for breakfast? Eat at the parks, eat in your rooms? Anything cheap around there, or just buffet and sit-down restaurants? I'd appreciate any advice you guys could give. We're all really excited about this trip!

Upvote 0

tomman710

I haven't stayed there yet but I may end up there in December. I have however ate at Boma's and walked around the resort. My advice is to definately eat at Boma's. There is a ton of stuff and it's all good. Also go outside and talk to the CM's out there that are animal experts. I met this one CM from Kenya that used to be part of a Masai Tribe and he told us all about Kenya, safaris, and the ghost and the darkness. A whole lot of cool stuff. It got me pretty hyped up about going to Kenya.

Upvote 0

Candyapple

Hey guys, I'll be there next week too. From what I have found out, the room service is a little expensive. Bomas is good to try for b-fast at least once while youre there. I've heard theyre great and that they have lots to choose from for b-fast as well as dinner. I think there is a walk up counter/market type of setting. Maybe something like in the contemporary?? Don't know, but I think they'll have something there. Last resort, hold the hunger pangs till you reach the parks and have b-fast there. Pastries, walk up counters, lots of restaurants... We're on a budget, but since this is a Deluxe resort, I doubt they have as much budget stuff to offer as lets say the All Star Resorts. We're in the same boat.

Have a blast!:wave:

Upvote 0

Hurricane

The counter service restaurant is adjacent to the pool and is quite interesting. They have menus that are animated (tv's looped) We had to wait quite a while for our food, so they comped us on the desserts. Great resort but I'll take V@WL.

Upvote 0

WDWspider

Tips... I got a couple tips (I'm sure AkiraRaptor will be around soon too) :D

- Go to the Main Viewing area around 10:00 at night. Some CM's will be out there with Night-Vision Binoculars. A very cool thing to try, especially since it's free.

- As others said... explore this place well. It is really much bigger than they make it look. Go all around the pool, there is a couple of viewing areas over there.

- Try the African Stew in the Bread Bowl at the Mara, it is one of those "wish I had a lot more when you are back home" type of foods that really fills you up for not that much money. Two can propably share one bowl, although you may want it all for yourself. :slurp:

- The key to seeing lots of animals... Get up early, or come back before Dusk. Again, illusion is in play, there are many, many more animals on the savannahs than it first appears. We stayed a week and were still seeing new animals outside our window from day to day.

- You are not allowed Balloons or Straws at the resort for the safety of the animals.

Have Fun! You will love it.

Upvote 0

RickEff

Originally posted by crazygirley
We will be leaving for WDW next Friday, and we will be staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge for the first time. We have never been to or seen the resort, so we have no idea what lies ahead. Does anyone have any tips, suggestions, comments or things we should know before we go? Anything would be helpful, as we want to make the most of our stay there, and we won't have a savannah view room. Thanks for the help!

You may want to ask at the front desk what the upgrade cost of the Savannah room is - there's nothing like watching Zebras walk by in the morning with your coffee, and a Giraffe slink around at night with your nightcap. Sometimes there are good deals when you arrive if they're not too busy.

The resort is my favourite and I'll be there again later this year. Take some time to walk around - even the hallways of the areas where you're not located. There are historical African artefacts, artwork etc. throughout the entire resort.

The restaurants are great - Mara is a reasonable Quick Service type restaurant - not exactly counter service because after you order your food they will bring it to your table. (then you have to get up and add the condiments anyway)

Boma - my favourite restaurant in WDW. Don't miss this Buffet (African themed with American and African influences):slurp:

Jiko - also very good restaurant. I've only eaten there once and was most impressed with the food and the service. Unfortunately we didn't get any appetizers (we'd eaten late in the day and wanted to enjoy the entree) so we didn't get to see them make it in "The Cooking Place"

The hot tub of choice for me (it's hotter, smaller and usually less busy) is the one to the left of the pool. It's great because it's right next to one of the Savannahs so again while you're in the hot tub it's very likely you'll see a Giraffe or something walk by. This is one of the best hot tubs I've been in on Disney Property. Be prepared to hold on because the jets can shoot you across the pool :lol:

If you are a smoker be aware that if you have a Savannah room YOU CANNOT SMOKE ON THE BALCONY. (now - I have smoked on the balcony before I knew that I couldn't and nobody said anything - there ARE cameras though so be careful. Certainly - don't toss your butts. That's rude at the best of times anyway...)

The Marketplace (Zawadi) is filled with unique items you can only get at DAKL. Be prepared to spend top dollar though. Discounts (such as annual pass discounts) don't apply at resort gift shops - so you should do most of your shopping at Downtown Disney if you're not looking for something specific to your resort.

I've never been yet, but every night there is a storytelling by the firepit outside the lobby at Arusha Rock.

Anyway - that's it for now. I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Rick

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Originally posted by spider-man
Tips... I got a couple tips (I'm sure AkiraRaptor will be around soon too) :D

:lol: You know me to well. :lol:

You also beat me to everything I was gonna say when I read the post. :zipit: :lol:

...But...I will add (and you knew I would :D ), take the time to talk to the CM from Africa. They love to talk. Most of them are more than eager to talk. A few we've spoken to seemed a little homesick as well, and they said that AKL (and AK) help them get over it becuase they are built so close to the real thing, and really give you the feeling you are in Africa at times.

...also, keep you eyes out for some of the care takers. I came across one by the birds at the pool when she was feeding them. She even let a few kids nearby through a few fish to them.

You'll have a great time! Have fun!

Upvote 0

imagineersrock

just a few quick tips;

1.) boma could quite possibly be the best breakfast buffet in wdw- it is EXCELLENT ...a must-do!

2.) jiko is the nicer, fancier, pricey-er version (you might want to try it once for dinner -great food!

*not sure how far you're willing to go as for the animal experience; i however wanted to see as much of the animals as possible so if it's animals you're looking for heres the deal;

GET UP EARLY (with the summer heat the animals will only be out and about around sunrise, and a little bit around dusk) other than that, the animals will most likley be hiding in the shade for the most part and not very visible.

there are tons of animal viewing spots; the most obvious/best spot would most likely be the arusha rock area (its the large animal viewing spot in the middle of the savanna.)

then theres many other places like behind the pool area (nice pool!!) and off to the left hand side of the lobby there is a lounge with a balcony where you can often see the giraffes.

there are also tons of other viewing spots scattered all over property, and you will run into most of them during your stay.

-just be sure to ask the staff any questions you might have concerning best times to see animals, etc. and i'm sure they'll be able to give you the best info!

***have an awesome stay- this is an incredible hotel full of great views, great food, and unique animal experiences- i know you'll have a great time:cool:

Upvote 0

kevlightyear

Thanks everyone for your detailed responses. They answered many of the questions I had. I'm really looking forward to this trip--our first at a deluxe resort. I'm sure I'll be taking hundreds--if not thousands--of pictures (digital of course). Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom