Any tips for a Family of 4 young kids

Nubiwan

Original Poster
Well, the wife and I promised ourselves a trip to somewhere nice on our 10th anniversary. So then we had 4 kids, and now we're taking that intimate trip to Disney & Florida (May 13-27, 2010). Got the grandparents tagging along as babysitters. Some privacy LOL!!!

We've planned to spend 3 days at Disney and the rest at the beach. We've booked a place at Windsor Hlls (perhaps our first mistake - don't know), but it looks really nice. Got a steal on a 4 bedroom house.

Anyway, my main questions are about the attractions and theme parks. Planning on a couple of days at Magic Kingdom, and perhaps one of the water parks. Figure Magic Kingdom will overwhlm my toddlers enough.

Open to suggestions on how to manage 4 kids (ages 18 mos, 3,6 & 8). What are the best park passes to buy for a 3 day stay? Where to eat? What you can bring into the parks (food etc.). Best rides. Can you rent strollers? Do I tie my kids on a rope to keep them close? Where do you park your car? Got myself a AAA Parking pass (anyone care to comment on them?) Do I bring Junior (18 mos), or get gramps to stay at home bas while we take the others?

Also concerned about one kid being able to ride, when others have to sit and wait (getting bored or worse - lost).

As you can see. We'er all eager to go, but hoping for a littel direction on tking my tribe to Disney for 3 days.

Nubiwan

Where to begin?

usnret04

I'm in a similar position as you. Taking 3 kids 10, 8 and 3. We also got a 4 BR "executive" home for under a $100 a night, so pretty happy with that. You can rent strollers at each of the DW parks, they also have double strollers. There are also places in town that rent them a little cheaper, but DW is more convenient obviously.

As for our 3 year old boy, we have one of those "leashes". Never used it, but thinking of using it at the park if he starts to run off.

There are lots of tips here on how to keep your kids safe, what rides are good for youngins', tips for being bored, etc....so look around these forums!!

Lastly, I was curious about your AAA parking pass....those are only available if you purchase tixs or book through them correct?

Nubiwan

Original Poster
I bought the AAA pass on eBay for $25. If it saves me a walk after parking, then that's fair enough.

In case you have not done so yet, I got a great deal on a Minivan ($542 for 2 weeks). $209 per week from Alamo. I can try find the coupion code if interested. Perhaps you are driving.

Think our 3 year old will spend a bit of time in the stroller, but he might get fed up with that.

I like the idea of using a felt marker to write our cell phone number on teh back of the kid's hands. Case they go AWOL.

What did you do for park tickets? So many choces. Thinking we'll just do Magic Kingdonm for 2 days, and one of the others (Waterpark or Seaworld).

usnret04

Thanks for the info, I'm driving from SC. We found a Joovy Double Stroller on Craigs List for $90. This type of stroller can hold up to three kids they say, but really made for two. One sits in front, the other sits facing backward or can stand on the back. I'm going to re-sell it after I return.

Double strollers at the park are $31 a day, but there are companies in town that rent nice strollers for less than that and will deliver to your resort house. The prices range from $65 for three days to $125 for up to 14 days. That way you can take it to all of the parks you are visiting and not have to worry about renting, turning them in, etc.... Plus you can put the kids in the stroller right out of the car and save them some walking.

We are doing the marker on the hand thing too, plus a laminated card in their pockets. We will take pictures of the kids each day so we can describe what they are wearing. May put them all in the same color shirt too.

Luckily, I'm retired from the Navy, so they have a wonderful deal on ticket prices for us.

Look around these forums for deals on ticket prices...I have about a dozen Disney website blogs I've been gleaning info from, but this site is one of the better ones.

Have fun!

wdwwdeagle

Open to suggestions on how to manage 4 kids (ages 18 mos, 3,6 & 8). What are the best park passes to buy for a 3 day stay? Where to eat? What you can bring into the parks (food etc.). Best rides. Can you rent strollers? Do I tie my kids on a rope to keep them close? Where do you park your car? Got myself a AAA Parking pass (anyone care to comment on them?) Do I bring Junior (18 mos), or get gramps to stay at home bas while we take the others?

Also concerned about one kid being able to ride, when others have to sit and wait (getting bored or worse - lost).

Well, I'll give you the same advice I gave my brother when he was taking his 3 kids (ages 4, 6 & 7) for the first time.

The first thing to do is to pick up a copy of The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World and read the chapter entitled "The Ecstasy and the Agony." It doesn't have to be the latest version, anything from the last few years will do. I'd just grab one from ebay for a few bucks. There's also a great section that describes each ride and what age groups they're intended for.

Also, don't worry about kids having to wait while another in your group rides a ride. Everyone will get to ride together. When you get to the front of the line, the CM (person in charge of loading people onto the ride) will ask you how many you have in your party, and will organize you according to party size. So, that's something you won't need to worry about.

Regarding the stroller.... I know a lot of people buy a stroller, but if you're just going for a couple days, and your budget can handle it, I personally would opt for the rental stroller (double version). Disney rental strollers aren't like regular strollers. They're kind of like a plastic papasan chair on wheels (you know those round scoop chairs they sell at Pier 1). Also, there's probably a photo somewhere on the internet if you want to try to look up what a WDW double stroller looks like.

Anyway, you should be able to fit 3 of the four kids in it at any one time, switching around to take turns, etc. Yes, they'll be kind of squished, especially if your 8 year old climbs in, but the 18 month old will probably be able to sit on a lap. Anyway, it offers all kinds of versatility, so you should be fine with just one of them. If you find you need another, you can always rent another one later in the day.

Another reason I'd go for the rental in the park is that the trip from where you park your car to the actual gate of the Magic Kingdom is not stroller friendly. You're going to have to ride a tram (unless you get a super-close parking spot) and then either the ferry or the monorail, and, in my opinion, having a large stroller to manage through all of that is a pain. If you have 4 adults (you, wife and grands) and 4 kids, you'll have no problem getting through all that by holding hands/carrying the little ones.

About food... you can bring an entire picnic into the park if you wish. Of course, you don't want to lug around a big cooler all day, but a small soft-sided one will fit into a locker just fine. (Just call WDW for locker dimensions, or, again, it's probably listed online somewhere.) At a minimum, I would definitely have a backpack with some juiceboxes and snacks (granola bars, raisins, etc.) to ward off hunger between meals. You might also want to bring in some throw-away ponchos (wal-mart for $1) but only if the weather for the day looks iffy.

Definitely dress them in a bright color that's easy to spot. Orange and red are great. But, I wouldn't worry too much about getting separated. You'll be spending a great deal of time in the ride lines, where it's virtually impossible to misplace a child. Yes, the crowds are big, but in my experience, kids are more likely to stick close to parents when encountering a new situation and a large crowd of people, so the likelihood of someone "disappering" is pretty small. Oh, and if you haven't read up on it yet, read about "fastpass" so that you can use it. It's great!

Regarding whether to bring the 18 month old -- I would, at least on the first day. S/he may not make it for the second day (and that may go for gramps as well!), but kids that age definitely enjoy Magic Kingdom. Plus, then you won't have to hear for the rest of your life about the time everyone went to disney world and s/he had to stay at the hotel.

The main thing you're going to have to force yourself to do is pace yourself. I would plan to get to the park early on the first day (before opening). Kill yourself to do this if you have to. You'll have a much better experience if you don't have to fight the masses and wait in long lines from the get-go. Go to Fantasyland first, because it'll be packed from about 1 hour after opening until about 8 or 9 pm, and that's where most of the rides your kids are going to want to ride are located. Now, around mid-afternoon, you'll be tempted to soldier on, get your "money's worth" and do one or two more rides. Resist this urge. Go home, get naps, enjoy a quiet evening, sleep in on day 2 and go to the park after nap time. This way, you can enjoy the park in the afternoon, ride some rides in the evening and see the evening parade, and if you're really lucky and everybody can hang in there, the fireworks.

Trust me, there is no way you'll be able to go from morning til night one day, and then turn around and do it again the next day. (This advice is kind of like when you tell your kids not to drink hot chocolate through a straw. You know not to do it only because you've done it yourself and been burned. Every adult you know has done it and been burned. Voila -- WDW is the same.... I've done it and been burned, and so have most parents I know, except the smart ones. hahaha.)

As for a water park -- it would be fun, but again, by day 3, you're going to be pretty tired, and so will the kids. So I'd plan on only a few hours at the water park, and maybe just for the older two or three kids. Sea World, in my opinion, is just too much to try to fit in if you only have 3 days.

Wow, this is a long post! I'm certainly not an expert, but these are some things that have worked for me and family and friends. I hope you have a great trip!

Nubiwan

Original Poster
Thanks for that response WDWWWDEAGLE

I'll heed some of this advice. Any thoughts on the tickets we should get. Sounds like a 2 day pass might do it. Then we can crash on day 3 at the resort pool, which looks pretty nice in itself.

GenerationX

The first year we went as a family, our sons were 2, 4, and 6 years old. The tips provided by wdwwdeagle are outstanding. Follow them. A couple more to add:
1. Dress the kids alike each day. Day 1, for example, have each wear a plain, bright red t-shirt. The next day, have them wear plain, bright orange t-shirts, etc. It's easier to do quick headcounts when you know it's "orange" day.
2. Download park maps and study them. Determine (with the help of the Unofficial Guide to WDW by Bob Sehlinger and Len Testa) which attractions are on your Must See, Sounds Fun, and Avoid lists. Plan your day around the Must Sees, keeping in mind the Sounds Fun attractions as time permits.
3. Think proximity - which attractions are near what. If you think the older two might like Dinosaur, have the younger two play at the Boneyard while the older two ride.
4. Get Advanced Dining Reservations (ADRs) now for one of the character meals.

Have a great trip!

Nubiwan

Original Poster
The first year we went as a family, our sons were 2, 4, and 6 years old. The tips provided by wdwwdeagle are outstanding. Follow them. A couple more to add:
1. Dress the kids alike each day. Day 1, for example, have each wear a plain, bright red t-shirt. The next day, have them wear plain, bright orange t-shirts, etc. It's easier to do quick headcounts when you know it's "orange" day.
2. Download park maps and study them. Determine (with the help of the Unofficial Guide to WDW by Bob Sehlinger and Len Testa) which attractions are on your Must See, Sounds Fun, and Avoid lists. Plan your day around the Must Sees, keeping in mind the Sounds Fun attractions as time permits.
3. Think proximity - which attractions are near what. If you think the older two might like Dinosaur, have the younger two play at the Boneyard while the older two ride.
4. Get Advanced Dining Reservations (ADRs) now for one of the character meals.

Have a great trip!

Say GENX what is an ADR? Is this for resort only patrons, or part of the Magic Kindom park? How do I reserve a meal? Are they cheap (or amr and a leg)? I am guessing nearer the latter.

And, what is a character meal? Something that tastes bad, but has lots of character (LOL)? or do you get to eat with Mickey and/or Nemo?

corey154

another tip someone gave me is to take a small piece of paper and write your cell number on it and use a safety pin to attach it to the kids shoe laces...so if they get lost a cast member can call you.

I think the 18 month old would enjoy the park. My son loved the country bears, it's a small world, and winnie the pooh and just being out in the stoller watching everything going on around him. My children are 10 years apart and i found my son was ok waiting for his big sis to ride the big rides as long as he had a snack. he'd just sit and people watch, sometimes i'd let him out of his stroller and let him run around, he always liked that little break from his stroller too.

if you're doing a water park, i like typhoon lagoon b/c it offers more shade than blizzard beach. i know those argue that the kid area is better at BB, but it's all out in the open and I found TL to be better shaded...as far as the other local waterparks, I haven't been to Aquatica yet and I don't recommend Wet-n-wild. (too many locals and teens that are unsupervised)

i personally love sea world, especially with small children..it's one of those parks you can take your time and stroll through and see the animals, let the kids play in the kidszone and have a relaxing day (unless you try to make every show, then it can be stressful)

wdwwdeagle

Say GENX what is an ADR? Is this for resort only patrons, or part of the Magic Kindom park? How do I reserve a meal? Are they cheap (or amr and a leg)? I am guessing nearer the latter.

And, what is a character meal? Something that tastes bad, but has lots of character (LOL)? or do you get to eat with Mickey and/or Nemo?

Since it's been a couple days, I'll go ahead and respond....

ADR just means "Advance Dining Reservation." It's disney's code for, "we'll put you down for a time to eat at xx restaurant, but we won't actually call it a real reservation, because you might have to wait a few minutes for a table to open up once you arrive." If you are interested in eating at a sit-down restaurant (waiter, menu, food/drinks brought to the table, tip) or at an ayce buffet (same as above but you go get the food), you need to make your ADR before you go (the sooner the better). If you go online to disney.com, there is a whole section of the website where you can check out the different restaurants and check to see if they have availability on your travel dates. No, you don't have to stay on resort property or even be a park patron to make a meal reservation. Anyone can make one. The only caveat is that if you are going to eat in a restaurant that's in a park (as opposed to a disney hotel), you have to pay regular park admission to get in the park.

Now, if you just want counter service food/"fast food" (burgers/fries type stuff), there are plenty of places in the parks where you can just walk up and get a meal and sit down and eat it. No ADRs needed (or accepted).

Finally, a character meal is generally a buffet meal at a table service/sit down restaurant, requiring an ADR. There are a few characters who roam around the restaurant, come by each table and sign autographs, pose for pictures, and generally just let you have a character interaction during your meal. The characters vary depending on the restaurant. Some have Mickey, Pluto, Pooh or Donald, etc. Others have princesses or Mary Poppins, etc.

The Unofficial Guide lists all of the restaurants on disney property (both counter service and table service) along with prices and what they serve, and it lists each character meal and which characters attend -- however, if you get an older version of it, the character meals may vary from what is listed in the book. Of course, character meals are also listed online.

Hope this helps!

Disneybird

We went on a family trip with a just turned 3 yr. old grandson in January. His favorite things were of course the railroad, monorail and boats. He could have stayed on those all day. One day while others were riding space mountain, I took him into the game room at the exit. We discovered the air hockey game. He loved it. It kept him occupied for a long time, while everyone rode rides.
At DHS, I took him to the Honey I Shrunk the Audience playground, and let him loose.
At the Animal Kingdom, my husband and I took him on the train to Conservation Station, and once inside the building at the nursery, he actually pet an owl.
And in Epcot, it was the trains near Germany, the drummers near Japan and the bands in Canada and Great Britain.
The rides didn't keep him nearly as entertained as the things he could involve himself in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom