Any popular WDW restaurants you just don't get the appeal of?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Yeah, you can be sarcastic, but it's dead on. You have zero clue and the problem is with you and not v&a... Go look at any of the 10000 reviews around.... It's you not them....

I've gone back and reviewed the responses and I'm not finding where I said anything other than I felt the service was sub par and I didn't think the food was something to rave about. I can understand if you love the place, that's cool and all that, but the question by the person who started this thread is below, which I answered, and don't think I made any comments egregious to the point of drawing the level of attention you are giving it.
Understanding that everyone's likes and dislikes are their own to have, are there any particular restaurants in WDW that you don't quite understand the popularity of?

For me, there are at least 3 that come to mind: Sci-Fi Diner (apart from one delicious milkshake I found the service lacking, the movies repeating way too much, and the overall food quite mediocre), 50's Prime Time Cafe (the food was lousy, and the waitress we had wasn't the slightest bit in character, so we may as well have gone anywhere else for the same experience), and Restaurant Marrakesh (very disappointing to my entire - large - party, all of whom unanimously voted the food as "very bland").

Victoria and Alberts.

It's been a while since we went but the level of service we expected was sub par. May have had something to do with not ordering wine service with our meal as the demeanor of our server changed significantly when we advised them we were not ordering wine. The food was ok but nothing I would rave about. It might have been better if I had not have had to dress up to dine there. Just not my type of establishment.

jakeman

I've gone back and reviewed the responses and I'm not finding where I said anything other than I felt the service was sub par and I didn't think the food was something to rave about. I can understand if you love the place, that's cool and all that, but the question by the person who started this thread is below, which I answered, and don't think I made any comments egregious to the point of drawing the level of attention you are giving it.
I'm surprised you could find the quote button with that tiny, bologna infested brain of yours.

jakeman

I have it marked with Cheeto dust on my monitor.
Probably from trying to touch it through the screen?

In all seriousness, that is unfortunate that you felt their demeanor changed when you declined an upcharge. We've had nothing but outstanding service there (however we've be fortunate and just by luck have had the same server twice).

I get what you are saying about their standard menu. It is excellent, but it's not over the top great (still worth the price to me). We did the Queen Victoria Room (I think that's what it's called) last time and it was a bit more, but it was absolutely outstanding from top to bottom. It's completely blows their standard menu out of the water.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Yeah, you can be sarcastic, but it's dead on. You have zero clue and the problem is with you and not v&a... Go look at any of the 10000 reviews around.... It's you not them....
Or, perhaps he does, but they simply don't live up to your supposed lofty standards....

Of course, you just enjoy being a prat to pretty much everyone around here. Either option works....

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Or, perhaps he does, but they simply don't live up to your supposed lofty standards....

Of course, you just enjoy being a prat to pretty much everyone around here. Either option works....

I had a one of those deluxe Campbells soup pouches for lunch. (you know the one that is organic and double the cost of the alphabet soup can) Can I now be elevated to prat level and judge other peoples dining choices?

Phonedave

I try to be more forgiving when a restaurant has a secondary appeal factor beyond the food. For that reason, things like WCC, 50s, and pretty much any character meal can't really factor into my list. So, I'm going to try and stick to places where it's just about the food.

Le Cellier - The last time we went, it was that strange transition time where lunch was still 1 credit, but dinner was signature. I ordered the famous cheddar cheese soup and the legendary filet. Maybe cheddar cheese soup isn't my thing, but the taste and consistency just said spruced up canned condensed soup to me. I was not impressed. The filet was average...very average. Not bad, but not even close to best steak of my life.

Boma Dinner - It wasn't awful, but it wasn't special either and I didn't feel like we got much in the way of proteins/entrée type foods that were worthy of the price tag. The best things I ate were tabouleh and some rice. The heavily raved about zebra domes were a huge disappointment.

Be Our Guest lunch and dinner - Yes, it is a visually stunning place, it was a novelty to have a lunch fastpass, and it's nice to have drinks with dinner in MK...but that's where it ends for me. The lunch food was good...not great. Dinner had some bright spots...the charcuterie and French onion soup were good, and DH's steak wasn't bad. The kids hated their food and my pork & macaroni were awful. The pork was rubbery and didn't taste right. The macaroni was so salty it was inedible.

Another vote for 'Ohana. Easily the worst restaurant I've ever eaten at on WDW property.

I'm sorry but you have zero idea what "high end" food is if you have that comment.... There is always those people that think Per se or TFL are overrated. Nothing you can do with these types...

Le Cellier - Very overrater. It is on par with a Longhorn Steakhouse. It is really not that good of a place.

'Ohana - Again, really not that good of a place.

BoG (Dinner) - I was pleasantly surprised by this place. Maybe because I had not heard any hype about it, so I would not say it was overrated. My wife rates the onion soup as one of the best she has had. Food was decent middle of the road.

V&A - My wife finds the service there slightly overbearing. She feels that they are staring at you. Yes, she knows it is so they can address any problem as soon as possible, but it still makes her slightly uncomfortable. Me, people can stare at me all they want, so it does not bother me. As for the food, yes it is wonderful - most of the time. I have had a dish or two that while good, was not what I would call outstanding. But then I have had some dishes that I will remember forever. It also depends on your likes and dislikes. Me, I eat most anything. Other people, not so much. There are certain foods that some people just don't like, for whatever the reason may be. For example, I will eat zucchini, but I doubt anyone can ever serve me a dish where zucchini is the main ingredient and I will rave over it. I ate pounds of that stuff all summer long my entire childhood (my parents grew lots of vegetables - I hate picking green beans to this day too). When I see zucchini, I think "Ugh, again, more of this stuff". It is just how some people are.

-dave

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I had a one of those deluxe Campbells soup pouches for lunch. (you know the one that is organic and double the cost of the alphabet soup can) Can I now be elevated to prat level and judge other peoples dining choices?
That depends. Did you think it was better than the normal choice? Did it satisfy your sensitive taste buds? If you couldn't tell the difference from the pedestrian soup, then you may not be elevated. :cool:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
We did the Queen Victoria Room (I think that's what it's called) last time and it was a bit more, but it was absolutely outstanding from top to bottom. It's completely blows their standard menu out of the water.
We did the Chef's Table last time and had Chef Aimee (it was Chef Scott's night off), but the food and experience were second to none!

HollyAD

BOG for sure. We have done lunch and dinner... Dinner was good but nothing spectacular. I think my meal had been sitting a while but we went for the experience not really the food. On our next trip we did lunch and my food was actually not even warm. So I was a little disappointed because I didn't want a grilled ham and cheese. However, I can not complain about the cupcakes :)

DisneyJunkie

Original Poster
Ohanas. Food was ok. But I feel it's hyped because it is all you can eat. Not worth the effort of fighting for reservations or showing up with a reservation and waiting some more.

I have to agree now, though at one time 'Ohana was on my list of "must do" WDW restaurants. Its decline started with the removal of the pineapple/caramel desert and having it replaced with the nasty bread pudding. It got even worse when they took chicken off the skewered meat offerings. Now there's little left for me to eat there.

MaxsDad

Nine Dragons - I have eaten here twice. Yes the decor is upgraded, but most of the menu is not any better than what I can get every other day of my life at any of five places within a mile of my house.

Teppan Edo - Once again, decor is premium. Food is about the same as our hometown places too. The one thing that made it feel special to me was the authenticity of the chefs. But the last time I went, the guy tells me he is from ... <off chance I get a guy in trouble>, well lets just say it was much, much more local.

Tony's Town Square - Ate here once. Would not bother going back unless a major re work is done. So much opportunity and possibility at this spot. Think about it. think about where it sits. What that means. What that represents. Think of the foot traffic! So little done with it. Might as well be Kraft Mac and Cheese and Tombstones.

Coral Reef - Another blown opportunity. Great idea, poor execution.

I do not have a big problem with ride sponsors. I get the idea and the necessity of it. I understand the positive financial effect it has on the cost for my family to visit WDW, and the rest of us as well. Walt had partners on early attractions as well, I believe. Soft Drink companies, and even paper towel companies are plastered all over the resort, and have been for quite some time. The plaque clearly reads, "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy." How in Roy O. Disney's name does a flipping Starbucks fit in with that? Nothing could be more "Today" than a Starbucks, except maybe a Smartphone App. (oh wait a minute) I, a habitual coffee drinker, do not get the appeal of it in my hometown, much less Main St. USA.

EvilQueen-T

sci fi, 50s ptc, le cellier in the past few years. bog certainly has the decor but the food and service has been hit or miss for us. i feel like ohana's is also hit or miss for us. other than the experience/show part of it i haven't liked the food at either crt or raglan road. ok so it's a bit more than 3 but in my defense i'm a girl AND we go about 4-6 times a year so i narrowed it down the best i could lol.

Philhar-Fanatic

Citrico's for us. We we're all excited about our Anniversary dinner there and the food was good. Service was the worst of the whole trip! Not something I expected from a restaurant that people rave about.

Boma was a miss for us too. Nothing was particularly wrong. I just think that African flavored food just doesn't fit our taste buds. There sure is ALOT of hype about it though.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I'm sorry but you have zero idea what "high end" food is if you have that comment.... There is always those people that think Per se or TFL are overrated. Nothing you can do with these types...

Per se as a phrase is terribly overrated and borderline pretentious. Weird to bring that up in this context though.

TFL is another weird one. Why do you care how anyone rates London's transport system?

You are a strange guy.
You are probably correct. My pallet is likely marred by all the Bologna and government cheese sandwiches and non bottled water I have to exist on. :rolleyes:

You do eat a startling amount of baloney.(fixed the spelling for you, your welcome.)

a edit to add: Grammar is also overrated.

Last edited:

polynesiangirl

Wow, I can't believe I wasn't alone in my dislike of Ohana! It seems like everyone LOVES it.

My husband and I ate there ten years ago and never went back. The food just wasn't super exciting, it was kind of cold (even though we were literally the first seating of the evening,) and it was just underwhelming overall. Not worth the fight for an ADR, for us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom